HMS Bounty 1:48 Made to Harold Hahn Plans

Starting to build the HMS Bounty. I have started to cut the frames out I currently have 18 Frames roughed out out of the 42 required.
I bought a steam generator and built a steam box to steam the planks for bending. I also bought a thin rip jig for my table saw to mill my own planks.
I had to make a zero insert for the saw as Skilsaw doesn't make one for this model saw which i just bought 4 months ago. I set up a frame roughing station
to rough out the frames. So now it starts. I will need plenty of advice and help on this so i plan to keep this thread going...Thanks in advance. you know what has really helpd me in my modeling has been my work on the Morgan restoration.......

IMG_3853.JPGIMG_3881.JPGIMG_3882.JPGIMG_3908.JPGIMG_3909.JPGIMG_3911.JPGIMG_3931.JPGIMG_3932.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Hello Lester, Welcome aboard SOS!

It should be an interesting build of HMS Bounty. I see you making frames out of plywood, that means you will cover the frames with planks without inside exposure?

Hello Lester, Welcome aboard SOS!

It should be an interesting build of HMS Bounty. I see you making frames out of plywood, that means you will cover the frames with planks without inside exposure?
Yes i plan to plank the who;e ship and not make an admarlty model.

Rough cut frames 1-22 stack up starting to look like a ship. i bought a thin strip rip jig to mill my own planks. i go around to construction sites for houses that are doing finishing work inside and ask to go thru their drop pile. i get a lot of oak, maple, ash and mahogany drops. From these i plane and mill the wood i need for my models and don't have to spend a lot of money on wood. the box is made from a drop i got at a casket making company in Willimantic Ct. Bates casket co. i got 20 19x48 drops. i also made my steam box from this wood too so you see you can save a lot of money and get some nice lumber by going to job sites and wood working companies.

IMG_3960.JPG) Clearance box.jpgIMG_3853.JPG

...sorry for too many questions, Then, is there any reason why frames and not bulkheads?
i find that frames make the planking much easier and also gives you truer lines to the hull and besides that is the way real ships are built. i worked for 5 years as a volunteer on the Charles W Morgan. we replaced 25% of the hull with new timber. so i got to experience real ship building. i spent 2 years working in the rigging loft so i understand rigging and most of what it takes to build a ship. picture i took of the Morgan from the rigging loft. muy avitar pic is me working in the hold of the Morgan

Attachments

• MORGAN FROM THE LOFT.jpg
    MORGAN FROM THE LOFT.jpg
    286.7 KB · Views: 7

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

A very interesting way you are working - I will follow this log with big interest.

May I ask you about this tool? I never saw something similar
) Clearance box.jpg

Uwe.... this is a thin strip jig. it is used on your table saw to make planking. i had to make the size slot longer so that it reached the blade . here is a picture on how to use it. i mill all my own wood. i get it at construction sites from thier drop pile i can get oak mahogany ash pine etc this way i the use my planer to the thickness i need and make my planks and other parts from it

Attachments

• trg-001_base.jpg
    trg-001_base.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 27

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Uwe.... this is a thin strip jig. it is used on your table saw to make planking. i had to make the size slot longer so that it reached the blade . here is a picture on how to use it. i mill all my own wood. i get it at construction sites from thier drop pile i can get oak mahogany ash pine etc this way i the use my planer to the thickness i need and make my planks and other parts from it
Interesting tool - many thanks for showing the use of it :cool:

Uwek

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

soon the ship is getting a hull - I am looking forward to your coming working steps

I decided to have the framing jig laser cut. I have a guy that is really good at laser cutting he does it for a lot of the kit manufacturers. anyway i should get the jig by the weekend. I have Autocad on my computer along with Solidworks 3d i was a mechanical engineer for 49 years. I took and drew the jig frame in Autocad so it is accurate to cut. while I'm waiting for the jig so i can start to frame the Bounty I am drawing up the details and patterns for the parts I need to make. I am doing the windless details now i have attached pics. if anyone needs drawings done i would be happy to do them for you no charge. im retired and have alot of time on my hands. email me and ill lend a hand. lesterpalifka@gmail.comUntitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

drawing of bounty windless adding details not on plans. used draftsight to make them
Nice I will follow your build. Like it. The thin strip for the tableau I made myself. It's easy to make.

View attachment 221973View attachment 221974
that is Awsome. i didnt think to make one for my Praxxon table saw i bought mine for my full size table saw. i am making 8 ft long strips

Attachments

• windless-Bounty.JPG
    windless-Bounty.JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 7

Received my laser cut framing jig yesterday. Perfect. I redrew the jig from the plans and had it cut by Laser Cut USA who did an excellent job. i ordered the jig on Thursday sent a DXF file for cutting and I got it on Monday. very pleased with the turn around and workmanship. If you have laser cutting to do go to lasercut USA.com
IMG_4097.JPGIMG_4099.JPGIMG_4099.JPG