HMS Bounty 1:48 Made to Harold Hahn Plans

Starting to build the HMS Bounty. I have started to cut the frames out I currently have 18 Frames roughed out out of the 42 required.
I bought a steam generator and built a steam box to steam the planks for bending. I also bought a thin rip jig for my table saw to mill my own planks.
I had to make a zero insert for the saw as Skilsaw doesn't make one for this model saw which i just bought 4 months ago. I set up a frame roughing station
to rough out the frames. So now it starts. I will need plenty of advice and help on this so i plan to keep this thread going...Thanks in advance. you know what has really helpd me in my modeling has been my work on the Morgan restoration.......

IMG_3853.JPGIMG_3881.JPGIMG_3882.JPGIMG_3908.JPGIMG_3909.JPGIMG_3911.JPGIMG_3931.JPGIMG_3932.JPGIMG_3934.JPG

Rough cut frames 1-22 stack up starting to look like a ship. i bought a thin strip rip jig to mill my own planks. i go around to construction sites for houses that are doing finishing work inside and ask to go thru their drop pile. i get a lot of oak, maple, ash and mahogany drops. From these i plane and mill the wood i need for my models and don't have to spend a lot of money on wood. the box is made from a drop i got at a casket making company in Willimantic Ct. Bates casket co. i got 20 19x48 drops. i also made my steam box from this wood too so you see you can save a lot of money and get some nice lumber by going to job sites and wood working companies.

IMG_3960.JPG) Clearance box.jpgIMG_3853.JPG

...sorry for too many questions, Then, is there any reason why frames and not bulkheads?
i find that frames make the planking much easier and also gives you truer lines to the hull and besides that is the way real ships are built. i worked for 5 years as a volunteer on the Charles W Morgan. we replaced 25% of the hull with new timber. so i got to experience real ship building. i spent 2 years working in the rigging loft so i understand rigging and most of what it takes to build a ship. picture i took of the Morgan from the rigging loft. muy avitar pic is me working in the hold of the Morgan

MORGAN FROM THE LOFT.jpg

A very interesting way you are working - I will follow this log with big interest.

May I ask you about this tool? I never saw something similar
) Clearance box.jpg

Uwe.... this is a thin strip jig. it is used on your table saw to make planking. i had to make the size slot longer so that it reached the blade . here is a picture on how to use it. i mill all my own wood. i get it at construction sites from thier drop pile i can get oak mahogany ash pine etc this way i the use my planer to the thickness i need and make my planks and other parts from it

trg-001_base.jpg

Uwe.... this is a thin strip jig. it is used on your table saw to make planking. i had to make the size slot longer so that it reached the blade . here is a picture on how to use it. i mill all my own wood. i get it at construction sites from thier drop pile i can get oak mahogany ash pine etc this way i the use my planer to the thickness i need and make my planks and other parts from it
Interesting tool - many thanks for showing the use of it :cool:

soon the ship is getting a hull - I am looking forward to your coming working steps

I decided to have the framing jig laser cut. I have a guy that is really good at laser cutting he does it for a lot of the kit manufacturers. anyway i should get the jig by the weekend. I have Autocad on my computer along with Solidworks 3d i was a mechanical engineer for 49 years. I took and drew the jig frame in Autocad so it is accurate to cut. while I'm waiting for the jig so i can start to frame the Bounty I am drawing up the details and patterns for the parts I need to make. I am doing the windless details now i have attached pics. if anyone needs drawings done i would be happy to do them for you no charge. im retired and have alot of time on my hands. email me and ill lend a hand. lesterpalifka@gmail.comUntitled.jpgUntitled2.jpg

drawing of bounty windless adding details not on plans. used draftsight to make them
Nice I will follow your build. Like it. The thin strip for the tableau I made myself. It's easy to make.

View attachment 221973View attachment 221974
that is Awsome. i didnt think to make one for my Praxxon table saw i bought mine for my full size table saw. i am making 8 ft long strips

windless-Bounty.JPG

Received my laser cut framing jig yesterday. Perfect. I redrew the jig from the plans and had it cut by Laser Cut USA who did an excellent job. i ordered the jig on Thursday sent a DXF file for cutting and I got it on Monday. very pleased with the turn around and workmanship. If you have laser cutting to do go to lasercut USA.com
IMG_4097.JPGIMG_4099.JPGIMG_4099.JPG

Back