HMS Bounty 1:48 Made to Harold Hahn Plans

Hahn shows the stern timbers as two different sizes and profiles. in studying the anatomy of the ship i find the timbers are all the same and on a slight arc. i will be making all my timbers the same which makes more sense than the plans. i found when i was working on the restoration of the Charles W Morgan (1841 whale ship at Mystic seaport Museum) that on multiply structures there were no slight variations .... they were all the same...here are the main references i am using to build this plus some other 1/48 plans but these are basically what i'View attachment 234722m using for reference.
thank you for your kind words Brad

Working up the stern filler blocks getting ready to lay out the planking. Just need to do the port filler block , finish fairing in the frames. Get some temp planking battens in. Question should I put the wale in first then plank up and down from there??????

7BAC7E5E-5833-45A5-830E-80456CF47DAE.jpeg

5EBA65EF-D452-4342-B695-F4830837B49B.jpeg

D77C85D3-464E-4ACC-89CB-AEDE0E0FEA75.jpeg

E5EA0FB6-707C-41BE-9C7A-3E56B06EF609.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you can put the wale and plank in both directions. However, the important step would be to identify and place garboard strake. Then you can calculate the number of planks needed to cover the hull. Another advice is to plank hull alternatively few planks port and starboard.

Yes, you can put the wale and plunk in both directions. However, the important step would be to identify and place garboard strake. Then you can calculate the number of planks needed to cover the hull. Another advice is to plank hull alternatively few planks port and starboard.
Thank you. I have the garboard already on. So I will locate the wake and go above and below. I worked on the Charles w Morgan restoration for five years 3 in the ship yard on the Morgan and two in the rig loft. Thank you for your quick response.

why was my post taken down?????? i didn't realize it was posted twice.. boy that stinks. i was on my phone and tough to see but why penalize me i had asked an important question i needed answered.....that sure was disappointing...

why was my post taken down?????? i didn't realize it was posted twice.. boy that stinks. i was on my phone and tough to see but why penalize me i had asked an important question i needed answered.....that sure was disappointing...
No worries, it happened. :cool:

I am assuming you meant “it happens” cuz the way you say it sounds not very nice.
LOL, Yes, you are absolutely correct. Happens is the correct word.

sorry for the off-topic, but English is not my native language. Isn't the word happened in the past for word happens now? How would you say it happens in the past? Teach me, please. :cool: I like to learn...

getting ready to plank the wale. how do i transfer the location from the plans to the model? do i measure and mark each frame from the building board? need some input on this. also there are two lines shown is this the full width of the wale? and is the two lines close together the width of each plank? Bounty Wale.jpgthis.

getting ready to plank the wale. how do i transfer the location from the plans to the model? do i measure and mark each frame from the building board? need some input on this. also there are two lines shown is this the full width of the wale? and is the two lines close together the width of each plank? View attachment 239829this.
Building board is your reference plane. To accurately transfer heights from plan to model you'll need some sort of height gauge. Regarding wales, take a look at several images of Harold Hahn's Bounty ( http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?240 ) Great work so far.

Building board is your reference plane. To accurately transfer heights from plan to model you'll need some sort of height gauge. Regarding wales, take a look at several images of Harold Hahn's Bounty ( http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/page.php?240 ) Great work so far.
Thank you. I was thinking of making a template of the line closest to the build board measure three points align the template then mark each frame and the put the first wale plank on accurately

I have the location of the wale located on the hull time to mill the planks. Question are the wale planks one thick piece or are they the regular thickness and double planked….
I suppose, it depends on what kind of wood you are going to use for wales. Harold Hahn planked them in two layers - the top one being made of ebony. The garboard plank seems to be placed a bit to high at the fore end. That's going to push all the subsequent planks.

I have the location of the wale located on the hull time to mill the planks. Question are the wale planks one thick piece or are they the regular thickness and double planked….
A wale is one of the strakes of wooden planking that forms the outer skin of the hull of a ship, but substantially thicker than the other strakes. It provides extra stiffening and strength to the hull. It was a common feature of heavy wooden ship construction, particularly from medieval times to the early years of the 19th century.
They were about the same width as the hull planking, but were thicker, with the result that they projected 3-4ins beyond the planking on 16th and 17th-century ships, and 2-3ins on 18 and 19-century vessels. Their top and bottom edges were very slightly rounded off.

A wale is one of the strakes of wooden planking that forms the outer skin of the hull of a ship, but substantially thicker than the other strakes. It provides extra stiffening and strength to the hull. It was a common feature of heavy wooden ship construction, particularly from medieval times to the early years of the 19th century.
They were about the same width as the hull planking, but were thicker, with the result that they projected 3-4ins beyond the planking on 16th and 17th-century ships, and 2-3ins on 18 and 19-century vessels. Their top and bottom edges were very slightly rounded off.
Thank you so in short they are one thickness not double planked… thank you for your help

Back