HMS Druid P.O.F. - Unicorn Models by Donnie [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo Donnie,
how you manage it to install the muzzles when the capsquares are already fixed on the carriages?

Uwek, Zooming the picture, looks like the cannon "supports" can be added from the side after placing the cannon over the carriage.

20211026_074119.jpg

Let's see whats Donnie strategy will be.

Daniel

that is correct Daniel.
I hope I have the term correct --- The Trunnion (brass pin) is separate and I was able to hold the Gun in place while I inserted the Trunnion through the capsquares and through to the other side.

Making some decisions on the Cannon breech lines. Very difficult to get the lines wrapped around the very tiny cascabel. Therefore, I saw in some research that some cannons have a ring mounted on the Cascabel -
Knowing this is probably not accurate to this ship - I had to figure a way to secure this. I was able to use CA to mount the ring and I will leave it as brass colored -
a lot of sugar for a dime I say.

cannons04.jpg

Making some decisions on the Cannon breech lines. Very difficult to get the lines wrapped around the very tiny cascabel. Therefore, I saw in some research that some cannons have a ring mounted on the Cascabel -
Knowing this is probably not accurate to this ship - I had to figure a way to secure this. I was able to use CA to mount the ring and I will leave it as brass colored -

View attachment 266132

Paint them black and done :)

Daniel

Donnie, you are doing a great job on the cannons, and you are the captain and admiral of your model. The history learning, there were two patterns of the barrel design. Until late 1790 there were barrels made from Armstrong's pattern, they have a standard cascabel and 'button', knob for the breaching line. After 1790 a new type of barrel was introduced by Thomas Blomefield. He took the office as Captain of Royal Artillery and introduced new rules for the proving and making of guns. One of them was the cascabel with a breeching ring.

Images courtesy of arc.id.au
1635635698517.png 1635635882146.png

The Blomefield pattern barrels

large_CATALOGUE_IRN_2906_C.jpg
1635636202576.png

A very interesting educational read here

Donnie, you are doing a great job on the cannons, and you are the captain and admiral of your model. The history learning, there were two patterns of the barrel design. Until late 1790 there were barrels made from Armstrong's pattern, they have a standard cascabel and 'button', knob for the breaching line. After 1790 a new type of barrel was introduced by Thomas Blomefield. He took the office as Captain of Royal Artillery and introduced new rules for the proving and making of guns. One of them was the cascabel with a breeching ring.

Images courtesy of arc.id.au
View attachment 266137 View attachment 266138

The Blomefield pattern barrels

large_CATALOGUE_IRN_2906_C.jpg
View attachment 266140

A very interesting educational read here

The link is very good - here we can also find a matrix of shot wheight compared with length of the muzzle....
Great !!

So if we see the Druid as build and fitted in 1776 and refitted as a fireship in 1779 I guess the guns were the "Armstrong-versions"

The link is very good - here we can also find a matrix of shot wheight compared with length of the muzzle....
Great !!
It is a very educational resource, I think. It is packed with historical data. For example, if you click on the Armstrong Pattern Guns of 1760 (on the left side), you can play various Scale drawings of the Armstrong pattern barrels. Just choose the weight for the barrel and you will see the drawings.

Sorry for the Offtop, Donnie!

Jim, you and Uwe are perfect fine making comments. I don’t see any offtops going on.
Whew! So I hope I am safe now using the rings. The sad part is that I know that I am functional illiterate when it comes to historical accuracy and Era.

The kit did not come with enough cannons. It is lacking two. Also, the scale of the cannons just does not lend itself to extra rigging - perhaps so - but I did not feel like putting for the extra effort - I know (shame on me).

The rigging line that came with the kit is horrible. I had to find my own line to make the breech lines. I know, the rings on cascabels should be black - I will get to those perhaps at some point.

cannons05.jpg

cannons06.jpg

Latest. The upper beams for Deck 0 do not fit well. Some are too long and some too short. The tiny supports (which would be knees most likely) are all covered up anyway as some decking will be hiding this. This kit remains probably one of the most frustrating of all. It seems that the person that drew the plans and the person making the CNC parts were not on the same page. (working together). Mistakes and problems abound.
For instance: They supply a TEMPLATE to mark out the places for the upper beams. Therefore I started to install the beams. It wasn't until 4th beam from the stern that one of the beams was going to lay right on top and in the way of the Mizzen Mast. You go back to the plans and things line up, but the templates and things like that that they supply are all horribly wrong.

deck-0-01.jpg

The latest - and - thank you all for the likes.
The Wheel is NOT glued in place, it is just sitting there for dry placement.

wheel09.jpg

wheel08.jpg

wheel07.jpg

wheel06.jpg

wheel05.jpg

wheel04.jpg

wheel03.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: 11/13/2021
DO NOT INSTALL THE WHEEL AS PER THE PLANS - IT IS IN THE WRONG PLACE - PLEASE FOLLOW POST #

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:
Back