HMS Druid P.O.F. - Unicorn Models by Donnie [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thomas, you are correct. In my haste, I should have taken the time. I did sand the upper outter hull and thought I had it faired well, but I did not.
Alexander. Most the planking on Deck #2 will not be seen. However, I am considering treenailing the deck #1 more as this deck can be seen.

I decided to switch up for a while and try to plank up the Bulwarks. I am not happy at all with these results. The inner frames are (to me) difficult to get sanded in a nice sweep curve (fairing). It is like one sanded area leads to another area that needs attention. So, at this point, after the Bulwark planking is done, maybe sanding down the roughness of the planks will help out some. In the long run, maybe it will not matter much in the grand scheme of things.
Note: from the beginning, it seems like that 'some of the frames were not in their proper slot. I even played around with making different arrangements to made the sweep or curve (fairing) of the inner hull do right, but after experimenting with placing the frames to make the fairing better, it just did not do right. So, I put the few frames back into the numbered slot as the instructions call for.
There will be a 2 x 2 mm dark walnut strip that will go along the base of the Bulwark.
So, this is another small element about this kit that perhaps someone with more experience can manage better than I am doing.

View attachment 248205View attachment 248206
Hi Donnie,
Nice progress and nice detailed pictures (again). :)
Maybe an option to glue a small piece of wood on one side of the inner block of some of your the clamps. Then you bridge the thickness of the lath to be clamped, the pressure is more evenly distributed over the lath and you (possibly) do not make any indentations.
Clamp.jpg
Regards, Peter

REVIEW TIME: EDITED
Now that I am 6 months into this build, I want to give a short review. Even though this kit is a Plank on Frame (POF) or Plank on Ribs. Even though yes there are RIBS and BEAMS, the kit is sort of a mixture of basic kit and admiralty style - I will say that this kit is a good kit if you wish to get started making an admiralty style. It gives you the real to life example of how the Frames were constructed on a real ship.
You MUST be careful as some of the parts are stamped incorrectly. But, even with that, common sense will prevail and is NOT that big of a problem
The plans are only basic and just give you an idea of how things might go together. Next, the pictorial instructions booklet does show a step by step progression . The steps might not be in a logical sequence that you might be used to. However, again, basic common sense will prevail if you have past experience with advanced models.

I will continue to build the kit and as they say," it will make a model" - mine not be as good as others, but we will see.

This is the beginning of my Build Log of the UNICORN Models HMS Druid P.O.F. Kit. The images are from the first box opening and laying out as many parts as I could. I did not layout every single bundled piece, but if anyone has any questions, they are welcome to ask.

ZHL now sells this Druid kit with the upper deck framing added as a bonus now. The instructions for the bonus package are all in Chinese, but not a problem as I downloaded an APP on my iPhone (thanks to Zoltan) as it is an Optical Character Recognition program. You can operate the APP two ways. You can SCAN the document and it will translate for you, OR, what is really nice about the APP, is that you can also view the document's translation in real-time (as you hold your phone over the document, it will translate as you are looking at the phone. This is pretty cool. However, Chinese to English translation can still be somewhat awkward as it seems that there are only a handful of Chinese characters that can correctly translate to English as the English language is complicated with one word having multiple meanings.

Ok, so the MAIN instructions are in English with pictures. I have not taken the time to review the manual completely. As I start this build, then all those details will come out. In the meantime, sit back and enjoy watching if you so feel inclined to do so.

The box contents are bubble wrapped and then the entire contents of that are also in a clear plastic shrink wrap. I think this kit would survive the harsher environments. I have never seen a kit that the entire inside was completely shrunk wrapped sealed up.

Donald

Hallo my friend, Hallo @Donnie
we all wish you the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
Enjoy your special day

Happy Birthday Donnie. May you be blessed with health to enjoy many more years of modeling!

Happy Birthday, Mon Amie! The best way to celebrate your birthday while surrounded by your friends. Here, you are among your friends! Wishing you a happy life ahead for many more years. Birthday-Cake

こんにちはドニー、
素晴らしい進歩と素晴らしい詳細な写真(再び)。 :)
たぶん、いくつかのクランプの内側のブロックの片側に小さな木片を接着するオプションです。次に、クランプするラスの厚さをブリッジし、圧力がラス全体に均等に分散され、(おそらく)くぼみを作成しません。
View attachment 248309
よろしく、ピーター
おお誕生日おめでとうございます。

I decided it was time to do some more planking to the outter hull to play a little catch up on that part.

hull-planking-04.jpg

This is just a snapshot sample of the side - my camera battery ran out - ha - time to recharge and take some more pics later.

hull-planking-03.jpg

Dean,
the fairing of the frames really needs to be spot on. If not, then the planking will be a little wavy from frame to frame, but then again, the same can happen with POB. I have some waviness on the inside of the Bulwarks where I did not fair the inside good enough - my bad though. It is a little more difficult (at least for me it was) to fair the inside as it is hard to 'sight it' if you know what I mean. Or to look down the inside of the hull to detect any waviness.
Also the frames in this kit were not just the very best - there were some frames that just did not seem to "flow" with the curvature no matter if I relocated some frames to try and force the frames to have a nicer "flow" or fairing to it. So, I just lived with it and did the best I could.

Dean,
the fairing of the frames really needs to be spot on. If not, then the planking will be a little wavy from frame to frame, but then again, the same can happen with POB. I have some waviness on the inside of the Bulwarks where I did not fair the inside good enough - my bad though. It is a little more difficult (at least for me it was) to fair the inside as it is hard to 'sight it' if you know what I mean. Or to look down the inside of the hull to detect any waviness.
Also the frames in this kit were not just the very best - there were some frames that just did not seem to "flow" with the curvature no matter if I relocated some frames to try and force the frames to have a nicer "flow" or fairing to it. So, I just lived with it and did the best I could.
That’s unfortunate, however I am sure if the waves are not too predominant, then they can be sanded out. I agree the inside is tough to fair, you really have to use a board for reference and move it around as you go. Even then it’s not easy in tight areas!

Back