HMS Fly 1:64 - Amati/Victory Models by CaptainsCabin

Should have been chugging
Hi Will, Yes, it is a bit like a snail with an X-ACTO Knife! My next post will be to permanently fit the Cabin Furniture and Cannon Carriages to the Gun Deck, and this will be a culmination of over 10 years work, and I am hoping it will all go as planned! Best wishes, Lloyd

When I started my HMS Fly build, Nick Mott who ran www.hmsfly.com gave me one very good piece of advice; this was to ensure the Cannon Carriages were well secured to the deck, as Nick had one come adrift from under the poop deck! As can be seen in the photograph below, my carriages have all been secured from beneath the deck, so there is no glue to be seen and they are very secure.

When I started my build over 10 years ago, I had the idea of incorporating ‘The Great Cabin’ ‘Stateroom’ and ‘Coach Cabin into my model, but furthermore I wanted to furnish the cabins! This section of my build has brought this idea to fruition, and now all is left is to fit the lights in ‘The Great Cabin’, which will be seen through the windows. This will be covered in my next section.

My notes are attached below - "35 - Hull Planking and Fibre Optics Step 6 of 10"

Figure BA100.jpg

Carriage is fully secured from beneath the deck

Figure BA125.jpg

View of the Stateroom, Coach Cabin and The Great Cabin from bow to stern

Figure BA126.jpg

View of The Great Cabin, Stateroom and Coach Cabin from stern to bow

Figure BA127.jpg

'Glimpse' of the Welsh Dresser through the Coach Cabin door

Attachments

• 35 - Hull Planking and Fibre Optics Step 6 of 10.pdf
    17.9 MB · Views: 15

Cabin Furniture​

In my, HMS Fly build I have incorporated the Great Cabin, Stateroom, and Coach Cabin, and into each of these cabins I have constructed 1:64 scale furniture using acetate film, and a combination of Paint Shop Pro graphic design and origami with a plastic film.

A sharp craft knife and good eyesight are essential and lots of patience. I have made 9 pieces of furniture for the three cabins and this has taken me 2 years, and the irony is they will only really be seen by “God”!

Any member considering a cabin diorama, the techniques I have developed would be ideal, and I would be happy to talk about them with this community.

I have attached a photo of the Table which will be eventually fitted into the Great Cabin, and on it can be seen a three-candle stand. These candles are lit and flicker, and this is done with Fibre Optics; they will be seen through the Great Cabin windows.

The chairs are 1:64 scale replicas of a set owned by Lord Nelson, and this is a good example of how using a graphic design package can give a different perspective to modeling. My wife and I went to see the actual chair at the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich, London, so the dimensions would be correct.

Whilst the items may look difficult to make, they are in fact relatively easy to construct, but has previously said a lot of patience is required. I think most members have this, and some of the models I have seen on this forum are superb!

Please contact me if further information is required; I have made a Sea Chest and Bureau for the Great Cabin, Sea Cot and Wash Basin for the Stateroom, and a Welsh Dresser, Table, and four Chairs for the Coach Cabin.
Hallo @CaptainsCabin
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

When the Forecastle Bulkhead was constructed in July 2015, it was just assumed it would be glued into position as part of the build. During the intervening years the cabin partitions for the Great Cabin, Stateroom and Coach Cabin have been fitted, so the techniques developed for this part of the build has been applied for fitting the Forecastle Bulkhead. In the photograph shown below, the only glue used was for the centre joint.

The Forecastle Bulkhead doors will still open and close, as shown in the video of the Port Doors opening and closing (click link).

Figure BB37.jpg

Forecastle Bulkhead fitted into position

Attachments

• 36 - Fitting Forecastle Bulkhead, Capstan and Deck Grating.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Good morning Will,

Yes, a Very Happy and Healthy Chinese New Year, or as my wife would say, "Kung Hei Fat Choi" as the Chinese New Year has just passed.

Thank you for following my build; yes some of the techniques I have used may seem strange, but not ever having built a model like this before, I am learning all the time! My next task is to put in the Fibre Optic Lights into the Great Cabin, and to be honest I have no clear picture of how this is going to be achieved. All I know, it has got to be completed before the hull planking is finished.

As they say Will - WATCH THIS SPACE!

Hope you are keeping well.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Back