HMS Fly 1:64 - Amati/Victory Models by CaptainsCabin

The fitting of the Gun Deck was not straightforward for me; whilst the stern section had been correctly modified, the forward part of the keel had to be modified after it had been assembled, which was a mistake. This was overcome and all is fully explained in the attached notes.

I also researched deck planking and was particularly concerned with how the caulking could be simulated for the deck. In the end it was quite simple using a STAEDTLER Mars Lumograph 2B pencil, and this is also explained in the attached notes.

Figure F36.jpgFigure F37.jpgFigure F38.jpg

Attachments

• 05 - Deck Planking Tips.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • 07 - Gun Deck.pdf
    2.7 MB · Views: 15
More reading for me. Lloyd you’ve got to get a job or learn to slow down and relax. HA HA HA
.....believe it or not Will, this is my form of relaxation! What I enjoy is the discovering of information; my last endeavour was a scale model of Stonehenge, made out of actual stone. During my research for the model I discovered an unrecorded carving on one of the Trilithon's, which the archaeologists could not explain. I ended up researching it with a 'lady' I met on the Internet and found out what it possibly represented - that was fun! (click this link) Stonehenge.

The construction of the gratings should be treated as a project in its own right; when viewing the picture of H.M.S. Fly on the front of the kit box, the gratings would be very noticeable if they were not constructed well. I had no idea as to how they were made so did research which involved a trip to the Royal Maritime Museum Greenwich, London to look at gratings on the display models.

I was also given an interesting piece of information by Richard from http://www.jotika-ltd.com who advised the ‘forward – aft’ sections surrounding the hatch are known as ‘coamings’, and the ‘port – starboard’ sections are known as ‘head ledges’. For the construction of the hatch corners, the ‘coamings’ would sit beneath the ‘head ledges’ as shown in the picture below.

Figure G2.jpgFigure G28.jpgFigure G32.jpg

Attachments

• 08 - Deck Gratings.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 9
During my build the fitting of the Gun Port Patterns was done during 2013, and at that time I knew much less than what I know now. As a result of this the Patterns were really a challenge and mistakes were made during their fitting. These have been honestly written about and I hope any beginner reading these notes will learn from my mistakes, but also how they were corrected.

The notes have been split up into three attached documents:-

Fitting the forward Patterns (Document 9)
Fitting the aft Patterns where recesses were made for the Great Cabin side windows (Document 10)
Mistakes made and how they were corrected (Document 11)

Figure K35.jpgFigure K47.jpgFigure L47.jpg

Figure L30.jpg
Figure M8.jpg

Attachments

• 11 - Mistakes and Corrections.pdf
    776.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 10 - Gun Port Patterns (Part 2 of 2).pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
  • 09 - Gun Port Patterns (Part 1 of 2).pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
Just got caught up to your Fly. Reading through your log is one thing with so much to remember that I have started a Pegasus todo log on my iPad. The iPad log references pages of the Fly log to refer when I get to that step. Hopefully to save me time not having to page through your wonderful log and getting lost for sure.

She's coming along wonderfully. Love you oops recovery descriptions.

Just reading through your blog , outstanding , hope you don’t mind saving some of your Pdf files for reference , just started building the ‘Fly’ , regards Rob

Just got caught up to your Fly. Reading through your log is one thing with so much to remember that I have started a Pegasus todo log on my iPad. The iPad log references pages of the Fly log to refer when I get to that step. Hopefully to save me time not having to page through your wonderful log and getting lost for sure.

Thank you Will, I hope you are having a wonderful break. As a suggestion, could you take a screen shot of any page which interests you, then put this picture into a word document with a reference. Next week I will be making a post regarding Fibre Optic Cables, which I hope will interest you, and also challenge you!! - Lloyd

Just reading through your blog , outstanding , hope you don’t mind saving some of your Pdf files for reference , just started building the ‘Fly’ , regards Rob
Hi Rob, I am pleased you are finding my Build Log interesting, and thank you for your comment; I would caution you that everything I am doing is for the first time, so I guess I am also making many mistakes. I have noted your impressive list of completed builds, so my post on Fibre Optic Cables next week which I have just mentioned to Will, will also challenge yourself.

I am sure you do this automatically, but I have attached a 'Components List' from the kit; note, this was purchased in October 2010, so probably some items have changed over the years. Also everything I have written so far can be viewed at 'The HMS Fly Bible' (click link), which is on the AMATI website - Lloyd

Attachments

• 01 - H.M.S. Fly Components.pdf
    535.1 KB · Views: 7

.....for some reason I had it in my mind you were returning from your holiday on the 19th June, although I know you said it was the 17th! My last message indicated you were still on holiday - apologies for the error! - Lloyd

Yikes!!!! Its cooler here today more normal temps for June. 100 degrees f. We have friends in Chalfont St. Giles and one summer while visiting it was this hot. Miserable with the humidity. Next month we take a river boat cruise from Bucharest to Amsterdam and I sure hot the temps moderate.

Yikes!!!! Its cooler here today more normal temps for June. 100 degrees f. We have friends in Chalfont St. Giles and one summer while visiting it was this hot. Miserable with the humidity. Next month we take a river boat cruise from Bucharest to Amsterdam and I sure hot the temps moderate.
.....yes it is the humidity which is the real problem. Your river boat cruise next month sound real exciting, I am sure it is something to look forward to. Susanna and I are planning one for our 50th Wedding Anniversary in 2025 - Lloyd

INCORPORATING FIBRE OPTIC CABLES INTO HMS FLY

From the attached document it can be seen I am thinking about how to build the Fly even when cleaning my teeth – it is the ‘scratch building’ instinct which is always going through my mind to create solutions!

I do not know to what extent Fibre Optics is used in period ship modelling now, but when I started planning for the Fly in 2011, it was a real challenge to source some of the components. Now it is easier providing the necessary planning is done at the beginning of a build, as I have explained in the Fly build log. Looking at the details I see in the ‘Syren’, built by Will, and many other detailed models on SOS, incorporating Fibre Optics I believe has great potential.

“Swabbie” in May 2018 made some interesting observations, and perhaps what I am doing in the Fly is mirroring this.

In my post Master and Commander the Far Side of the World I described the construction of an Oil Lantern, Candle Lamp and Candelabra, all in 1:64 scale.

I attached a document showing the fitting of the Firehearth with two Fibre Optic Cable’s which, also includes two brief videos of the coals glowing and flickering.

These are only thoughts for the SOS community - Lloyd

Figure AT20.jpg

Figure AT23.jpg

Figure AT24.jpg

Figure AT25.jpg

Attachments

• X42 - Firehearth fitting and Fibre Optics.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 15
You continue to amaze. How in ever did you decide to modify dental brushes to hold your LEDs? I hope the temps settle into a normal range in the coming weeks for all of us. It has been about 10 degrees above normal for a month and yesterday and today are much cooler, so lets hope.

You continue to amaze. How in ever did you decide to modify dental brushes to hold your LEDs? I hope the temps settle into a normal range in the coming weeks for all of us. It has been about 10 degrees above normal for a month and yesterday and today are much cooler, so lets hope.
I am very lucky Will in that I seem to have the ability to improvise with my modelling, but it does need alot of thought! A friend of mine gave me some discarded 'Write On Film' which he was going to throw away, and I am like a 'magpie', I collect anything and everything - you should see my shelves! Several years later it was because of this film I created the furniture which is going into the cabins. I will be discussing this a little later on in the build - Lloyd

We are only limited by our own imaginations. Keep up the good work of creativity, it inspires others as well as yourself.Thumbsup

Back