HMS Fly 1:64 - Amati/Victory Models by CaptainsCabin

Excellent reference document for when I tackle the rudder assembly! Thanks for sharing!!
I am so pleased you have found the document useful; I am looking forward to the time I can complete my Rudder Assembly. Good luck to completing your project!

Lloyd

A very good and informative tutorial - Many Thanks for sharing with us

Forecastle Ladder's​

There is a choice of either using the ladder pieces supplied with the kit, or scratch building the ladders. The ones supplied in the kit are adequate but perhaps not quite representative for the 1:64 scale.

A document has been supplied detailing the making of kit ladders.

A second document details the scratch building of HMS Fly’s Forecastle Ladder's; note the leading edge of each step has been slightly worn to add to their realism!

51 - Figure V15.jpg53 - Figure U4.jpg54 - Figure U42.jpg

Attachments

• 50 - Ladders General.pdf
    804.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 52 - Forecastle Ladders.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 45
CaptainsCabin,
Yes, scartch built latters are the way to go. That is how I try do my ledders but with difficulties.
So, I will ask you a great favor and I know everyone will agree also...give us a building log of all the steps you took to create your ladder, it will be very helful for rookies and intermidiate modelers like me.

CaptainsCabin,
Yes, scartch built latters are the way to go. That is how I try do my ledders but with difficulties.
So, I will ask you a great favor and I know everyone will agree also...give us a building log of all the steps you took to create your ladder, it will be very helful for rookies and intermidiate modelers like me.
Hello,

I am just a rookie myself, so am learning how to do everything for the first time. In the attachment below titled "52 - Forecastle Ladders", I have detailed how I built the Forecastle Ladders for HMS Fly, which I hope will give an insight into my thinking on how to build them. I am afraid the notes may be a bit boring as I do tend to include every detail, as my objective is to explain my techniques so everyone can understand.

I will post my notes for HMS Fly's "Gun to Second Deck Ladder and Hatch Coamings" as these also may be useful for rookies.

Lloyd

Attachments

• 52 - Forecastle Ladders.pdf
    2.9 MB · Views: 31
Great link !!!!
I truly appriciated.
I read it but now I have to go over it a few times and absorb it to put it in use.
Thank You Lloyd.

Gun Deck to Second Deck Ladder​

I attach my notes on how I built the ladder from the Gun Deck to the Second Deck; these also include how the hatch coamings were made, and I hope they will be of use to fellow members.

Lloyd

56 - Figure W26.jpg

Attachments

• 55 - Gun to Second Deck Ladder.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 16
Great link !!!!
I truly appriciated.
I read it but now I have to go over it a few times and absorb it to put it in use.
Thank You Lloyd.
I am afraid I do write in great detail; to a certain extent I write exactly what I am thinking so I hope they will not be too confusing. If you are not sure of anything, please do come back to me and I will do my best to help.

I have just posted the Gun Deck to Second Deck Ladder.....more reading!

Lloyd

Pump Assembly​

It was found the 1 mm brass wire supplied in the kit was not very practical for making some components for HMS Fly, as it could not be bent perfectly straight. An example is the Pump Assembly, so the wire was replaced with a 0.8 mm brass rod.

The Build Log for making the Pump Assembly is attached.

57 - Figure H48.jpg

Attachments

• 58 - Pump Assembly.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 25
Back