HMS Fly 1:64 - Amati/Victory Models by CaptainsCabin

I belive all the doors/partitions either open/slide or were capable of being raised and secured to the deck thus allowing the anchor messenger cable a free and clear run.

One major problem messing around with the fore end is the first bulkhead which effectively removes the manger,(unless of course you are brave enough to carefully remove it!) I am currently considering that option.

Thank you! I am trying hard to incorporate as much detail as possible, and in doing this it is amazing the knowledge one discovers. Currently I am planning the hull planking, and it is my wish to use the same plank lengths as in the period. My research revealed experiments were being carried out to see which wood would last longer as can be seen in the planking expansion for HMS Hawke (1793). From this I got my plank lengths!

Yes, this I believe this is correct; I will be speaking to the Maritime Museum in about ten days’ time, and I hope to have an answer.

I have actually ‘messed’ around with both the bow and stern ends, so have a little knowledge. I am furnishing the Forecastle with a Firehearth, as shown on the original Admiralty Plans. I am not sure if this will be useful to you, but I attach my notes for what I did at the bow.

Attachments

• 41 - Gun Deck.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
It is very unlikely that there would have been a partition under the forecastle as you have modelled. It would clearly interfere with the operation of the anchor cables and cable messengers, riding bitts and other items required in weighing anchor . There would probably be a screen in front of the stove which would have given the stove some protection against the weather. Partitions were made of light weight materials as they would need to be removed and stowed when clearing for action, some partitions were just curtains made of sail cloth

It is very unlikely that there would have been a partition under the forecastle as you have modelled. It would clearly interfere with the operation of the anchor cables and cable messengers, riding bitts and other items required in weighing anchor . There would probably be a screen in front of the stove which would have given the stove some protection against the weather. Partitions were made of light weight materials as they would need to be removed and stowed when clearing for action, some partitions were just curtains made of sail cloth
I attach the diagram which I used from the Admiralty Plans of HMS Fly. I will be speaking to the National Maritime Museum in 10 days’ time to understand how the anchor rope would have been secured when at anchor. I think the bulkhead would have had to been removable to allow the smoke to dissipate from the cannons when they were fired. Perhaps it was also removed when at anchor?

42 - Forecastle Bulkhead HMS Fly.jpg

Modifications to the AMATI Kit to create the Captain’s Cabin​

Much thought went into modifying this AMATI kit, and considering this was a new venture for me, I am sure many things could have been done quite differently. Should any member be considering anything similar, perhaps my Guidance Notes will give an insight into what was actually involved.

Attached is “Please Read Before You Start” and “Hull Modifications - Stern Section”.

36 - Figure D1.jpg
38 - Figure D83.jpg

Attachments

• 34 - Please Read Before You Start.pdf
    696.5 KB · Views: 50
  • 35 - Hull Modifications - Stern Section.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 62
Last edited by a moderator:
Much thought went into modifying this AMATI kit, and considering this was a new venture for me, I am sure many things could have been done quite differently. Should any member be considering anything similar, perhaps my Guidance Notes will give an insight into what was actually involved.

Attached is “Please Read Before You Start” and “Hull Modifications - Stern Section”.

View attachment 242672
Hi, Captain, very well written and illustrated Guidance Notes.
Look forward to further posts.
By the way, what do you think of the kit in general.

Nice detailed and description of your work, well done. Also looking forward to your comments on the kit.
Thank you for your comments; I have only reached the hull planking of my build so my comments are only up to this point. Generally I find this AMATI kit is of a high quality, and this is proved by the fact I could successfully modify it to incorporate the Great Cabin, Stateroom and Coach Cabin into the stern section.

If you asked how to improve this kit, I would suggest rather than include a ‘roll of brass wire’, brass rod should be supplied in its place. To give an example; in the construction of the ‘Pump Assembly’ brass wire should be used, however I found ‘brass rod’ gave a better result. I have attached my Guidance Notes on how I built the Pump Assembly.

Obviously being the first time, I have built something like HMS Fly, I wish more detailed instructions were included in the kit, as I have spent much time in researching how to do things. Having said this, if you are an experienced modeller this would not be a problem!

39 - Figure H48.jpg

Attachments

• 41 - Pump Assembly.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 48
Хорошо придумали с оконными рамами.
У меня вопрос: как будет проходить якорный трос, если якорь полностью закрыт переборкой?
Александр, я не забыл ваш вопрос; Вчера я разговаривал с Морским музеем, и сначала у них нет ответа, но мы проведем небольшое исследование, чтобы узнать, доступна ли какая-либо информация. Мне было предложено изучить книги, написанные Дэвидом Антшерлом, который писал о кораблях класса «Лебедь»; Мне удалось приобрести «Модель с полным каркасом, шлюпы HMN Swan Class 1767-1780», Книга 1 Дэвида Антшерла. Если будет какая-то полезная информация, посоветую.
Хотя я ничего не знаю по этому поводу, но, размышляя о проблеме практически, наиболее логичным решением было бы удалить переборку Forecastle, когда HMS Fly ставил якорь. Я предполагаю, что переборка могла быть съемной, когда пушки использовались в Forecastle.
Ллойд
Aleksandr, ya ne zabyl vash vopros; Vchera ya razgovarival s Morskim muzeyem, i snachala u nikh net otveta, no my provedem nebol'shoye issledovaniye, chtoby uznat', dostupna li kakaya-libo informatsiya. Mne bylo predlozheno izuchit' knigi, napisannyye Devidom Antsherlom, kotoryy pisal o korablyakh klassa «Lebed'»; Mne udalos' priobresti «Model' s polnym karkasom, shlyupy HMN Swan Class 1767-1780», Kniga 1 Devida Antsherla. Yesli budet kakaya-to poleznaya informatsiya, posovetuyu.
Khotya ya nichego ne znayu po etomu povodu, no, razmyshlyaya o probleme prakticheski, naiboleye logichnym resheniyem bylo by udalit' pereborku Forecastle, kogda HMS Fly stavil yakor'. YA predpolagayu, chto pereborka mogla byt' s"yemnoy, kogda pushki ispol'zovalis' v Forecastle.

Lloyd

Alexander, I have not forgotten your question; I spoke to the Maritime Museum yesterday and initially they do not have an answer but will do some research to see if any information is available. It was suggested that I look into the books written by David Antscherl who wrote on the Swan Class Ship’s; I have managed to purchase “The Fully Framed Model, HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780” Book 1, by David Antscherl. If there is any useful information I will advise you.

Whilst I have no knowledge on this subject, but thinking about the problem practically, the most logical solution would be to remove the Forecastle Bulkhead when HMS Fly was anchoring. I presume the bulkhead would have been removable for when the cannons were in use in the Forecastle.

Lloyd

Александр, я не забыл ваш вопрос; Вчера я разговаривал с Морским музеем, и сначала у них нет ответа, но мы проведем небольшое исследование, чтобы узнать, доступна ли какая-либо информация. Мне было предложено изучить книги, написанные Дэвидом Антшерлом, который писал о кораблях класса «Лебедь»; Мне удалось приобрести «Модель с полным каркасом, шлюпы HMN Swan Class 1767-1780», Книга 1 Дэвида Антшерла. Если будет какая-то полезная информация, посоветую.
Хотя я ничего не знаю по этому поводу, но, размышляя о проблеме практически, наиболее логичным решением было бы удалить переборку Forecastle, когда HMS Fly ставил якорь. Я предполагаю, что переборка могла быть съемной, когда пушки использовались в Forecastle.
Ллойд
Aleksandr, ya ne zabyl vash vopros; Vchera ya razgovarival s Morskim muzeyem, i snachala u nikh net otveta, no my provedem nebol'shoye issledovaniye, chtoby uznat', dostupna li kakaya-libo informatsiya. Mne bylo predlozheno izuchit' knigi, napisannyye Devidom Antsherlom, kotoryy pisal o korablyakh klassa «Lebed'»; Mne udalos' priobresti «Model' s polnym karkasom, shlyupy HMN Swan Class 1767-1780», Kniga 1 Devida Antsherla. Yesli budet kakaya-to poleznaya informatsiya, posovetuyu.
Khotya ya nichego ne znayu po etomu povodu, no, razmyshlyaya o probleme prakticheski, naiboleye logichnym resheniyem bylo by udalit' pereborku Forecastle, kogda HMS Fly stavil yakor'. YA predpolagayu, chto pereborka mogla byt' s"yemnoy, kogda pushki ispol'zovalis' v Forecastle.

Lloyd

Alexander, I have not forgotten your question; I spoke to the Maritime Museum yesterday and initially they do not have an answer but will do some research to see if any information is available. It was suggested that I look into the books written by David Antscherl who wrote on the Swan Class Ship’s; I have managed to purchase “The Fully Framed Model, HMN Swan Class Sloops 1767-1780” Book 1, by David Antscherl. If there is any useful information I will advise you.

Whilst I have no knowledge on this subject, but thinking about the problem practically, the most logical solution would be to remove the Forecastle Bulkhead when HMS Fly was anchoring. I presume the bulkhead would have been removable for when the cannons were in use in the Forecastle.

Lloyd

Lloyd, good afternoon. The fact is that the bulkhead will interfere not only at the moment of raising / lowering the anchor. When the anchor is laid on the stowed, the anchor rope still lies both on the deck and on the bitts. And in the bulkhead there is absolutely no room for its passage (at least in the form in which you made it). Many questions. I should think.

Ллойд

Lloyd

Lloyd

Lloyd, good afternoon. The fact is that the bulkhead will interfere not only at the moment of raising / lowering the anchor. When the anchor is laid on the stowed, the anchor rope still lies both on the deck and on the bitts. And in the bulkhead there is absolutely no room for its passage (at least in the form in which you made it). Many questions. I should think.
Добрый день Александр,
Как только я узнаю дополнительную информацию, я передам ее вам.
Ллойд
Dobryy den' Aleksandr,
Kak tol'ko ya uznayu dopolnitel'nuyu informatsiyu, ya peredam yeye vam.
Lloyd

Good afternoon Alexander,

As soon as I learn any further information I will pass this on to you.

Lloyd

Pretty darned fancy!
Thanks Vic; Adobe Photo Shop had brought a new dimension to my modelling! I am going to post the Stateroom Wash Stand which is a miniature reproduction of the Wash Stand used by Vice-Admiral Horatio Nelson.

Lloyd

Last edited:
Back