HMS Fly - Amati 1:64 - by Daniel20 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Rather than sanding try scraping, it looks like most of that discolouration will come out. I use a #22 exacto blade to do all of my scraping it helps cut down on excess sanding and gives a nice clean smooth result.
Thanks for the tip DonRobinson, I shall try it. It will be cutting it close though as the decking is already less than a millimeter thick. I had to hold up on the build last week hope to get back to it this coming week.

I can finally continue on with the build. The main gun deck is now glued down. Had to use top deck supports temporarily to brace shims against them to help hold down the deck so it can conform to the predetermined slopes built into the bulkheads. I thought about soaking the deck but decided against it.IMG_0417.JPEGIMG_0419.JPEG

Good morning all.
Updating my build log. After installing the grating and lower capstand, was able to set the upper decks and glue down.IMG_0448.JPEGIMG_0449.JPEGIMG_0450.JPEG
This neat trick came to me while trying to come up with a stable way to build the deck grates.IMG_0439.jpg
I call this a wet fit. After soaking the gunport templates,I fitted in place to dry. After a day of drying I will try and fit for glue down so I can get on with the hull planking. Does any body have any tips about how long the planks should be? Some videos seem to have a span of two maybe three bulkheads. Others span the lengthIMG_0451.JPEG of the hull.

Hello All
Here is an update showing my hull planking. The bow and stern areas present the greatest challenge for me. I have several hours of sanding and some filler work ahead before I can start with the nice walnut outer hull planking. I have seen some really great looking finish planking models on this forum and only hope I can come close to the awesome model builders on this forum. This experience is exciting, I'm already in the thinking stage of what to build next. IMG_0466.jpgIMG_0467.jpgIMG_0468.jpg

Looks fine just finished my first layer today too. There’s gaps and dagger planks but it’ll be filled and sanded. I have concerns too about the stern and the rabbit itself too.

Hello All
I have some progress to share. Finished hull inner planking and began the sanding process.
I used Dap plastic wood to fill in the larger areas, and Minwax stainable wood filler for the smaller gaps and cracks. Then I sanded until I thought the basic hull
shape was satisfactory. After that I set the plan recommended port and starboard master walnut planks about 8mm below the gun ports and planked upward on the bulwark as shown. The plans are a little cryptic concerning the stern section so I'm doing what seems logical and hope I don't discover I messed up and have to tear out and redo. I would like everyone to know that I am always always always open to constructive criticism and other ideas in ship building. Several years ago I built a tv stand out of black walnut drop offs from a saw mill. The wood was so nice all I did was sand it down and applied 2 coats of Minwax wood wax and the finish was outstanding. I will do a small trial patch with the leftover scraps of planking the same way and see how it looks. Anyone ever tried this in lieu of a clear polyurethane matIMG_0481.jpgIMG_0483.jpgIMG_0485.jpgIMG_0471.jpgIMG_0473.jpg finish?

Last edited:
Hello Everyone.
I have some more progress photos to add. I finished the outer hull planking. Most of the filler planks come to a point and I used a couple different approaches laying in the planks. I believe the pointed planks are called "daggers" and someone appropriately called them evil which they truly are hard to fit right.

IMG_0506.jpgIMG_0507.jpg

I decided to use a Minwax finish on the walnut planks and am very pleased with the results.
Also finished the deck planking and sealed it with a clear polyurethane. Next on to painting the inner bullwark and am looking forward to begin setting some of the deck objects such as grating, stairs, railing elements, etc.

IMG_0509.jpg

IMG_0515.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0517.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

I can see where plank shading selection and placement becomes important.

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0518.jpg
    IMG_0518.jpg
    329 KB · Views: 26
I finally received my HMS Fly yesterday and after much review am excited to share this build log with everyone.
These first 4 photos represent punch out, dry fit, sanding in various locations to get a comfortable fit, and finally
glue up. Had it not been for information from this group as well as some other videos, I would still be stumped.

One thing I did do was the complete as shown dry fit then just glued all the bulkheads and bottom deck to the keel with a
slightly watered down wood glue applied with a brush.View attachment 171150View attachment 171151View attachment 171152View attachment 171153
Hallo Daniel, alias @Daniel20
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Hello everyone, I have some update photos to share. Began setting capping rails and deck fittings along with the hull frieze work.
Some of the paint colors are instruction recommended and some are not.
My personal preference is a flat blue color for the wales and railing as an example. Also gloss enamel paint is never called out only flat which I'm sure gloss paint did not exist back in the 1700's. As you'll see I do use some enamel paint.

IMG_0529.jpgIMG_0532.jpgIMG_0536.jpgIMG_0537.jpgIMG_0538.jpg

Like anything the closer you zoom in the more detail as well as defects one can see. For now I'm one of those modelers who does not mind sacrificing a certain amount of historical accuracy or deviation from plan for what I perceive as pleasing to my eye or just plain more suited to my skill level. However I am just awed at the superb skill level of many of the builders in this forum!

IMG_0539.jpgIMG_0542.jpgIMG_0543.jpgIMG_0544.jpg

Next up will be setting the rudder then finish deck fittings, set the channels, cannons and anything else before heading to the mast and their rigging which will be a huge challenge for me, one I can hardly wait to get to.

Hi Daniel, I really enjoyed my build of this kit. It was small enough not to be intimidating but still enough of a challenge and with a scale big enough to detail. It’s the only model that my wife likes and doesn’t mind being on show In the living room.
Yours is coming along nicely indeed and I have the feeling that you’ll end up with a very nice model that you too will be proud to display. Keep the photos coming as it’s always interesting to see another modellers work.

Ken

Hi Daniel, I really enjoyed my build of this kit. It was small enough not to be intimidating but still enough of a challenge and with a scale big enough to detail. It’s the only model that my wife likes and doesn’t mind being on show In the living room.
Yours is coming along nicely indeed and I have the feeling that you’ll end up with a very nice model that you too will be proud to display. Keep the photos coming as it’s always interesting to see another modellers work.

Ken
Hello Ken,
Thank you for the kind words. This build has been a real learning experience so far. I'm hooked for life building wooden tall ships.
I look forward to checking in on your builds from time to time.

Back