HMS Fly (Amati) 1:64 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Bulwark fitted , the deck support still loose to allow access to rear mast bits , test fit the main deck , always think not one but several steps ahead , the gratings are ready to go too , my electric bender gave the ghost , so planking on hold for the time being , plenty of other things , double planking the inner bulwarks , and painting in case not accessible , just received the brass plate from Sweden , the base board and pedestals arrived in Sydney from the UK today , so the building is in full swing LOL
I didn’t put extra supports under the split Gun Deck , with the planking in place there is no need for it , the deck is rock solid
403E2A8D-BFD2-4DBB-942F-C0C433AB2079.jpeg

E1A73AEC-7C47-4B4B-8965-115DD0C2AA91.jpeg

951939C4-6064-4531-8BAA-5D96CB6C4D5C.jpeg

A9E36273-D6A7-4FD7-A464-7FE6BC4C2ADD.jpeg

C4706538-C480-433A-AE75-9AE9EA36BD74.jpeg

'200 degrees ... That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit' ROTF

Wow Robert you've left me standing! 'Fly'ing ahead indeed. And looking great too, well done Thumbsup

Working on the Gun Deck , test fitting the upper deck and masts ( if in line , you are the Judge LOL) next will double planking against the Bulwark , the deck will be clear varnished , I omitted the caulking as in this scale it is irrelevant and messy , the first plank that sits on the deck against the inner bulwark will be painted to avoid any spills on the deck and so on .not a lot of work today , had lunch with friends at the Local RSL

E9B37C1F-3399-4947-A9D0-08CED54E2935.jpeg

4BA79E67-6C61-4991-AC6E-BB9A92F0A348.jpeg

60E8CCE6-4DED-4C85-9723-CC35561027E7.jpeg

Shaping up very nicely Robert. I am glad that Uwe mentioned that kink to you - I was going to say something, but I was not sure if it was simply the light that created that effect. Your masts are certainly straight sir! Thumbsup

She doesn’t mind , as long as I avoid rough stuff or painting , actually she is using the French dining table to lay out her sewing stuff so now and then , we are practical in a sense and not fussy
To avoid a lot of dust accumulating in our living, I voluntarily went into exile to a room on the second floor.

Received the base board and Pedestals , a dry fit to see how it looks , in the meantime waiting for my electric plank bender and to start the planking , these tools are a must ! The way I bent the Bulwark , by soaking the bulwarks briefly 10 minutes or so as not to disturb the plywood and using this little iron and slowly bending the wet bulwark , initially I tried the plank bender , that didn’t work out very well , the bender broke and that was it !
by using this iron ( look it is all try and error) I managed to curve the bottom end as well , using tide bond and pins to complete that task

8CC6C487-7E12-4084-A4C6-82DB4746C459.jpeg

BC098AA6-CACF-454D-AA2F-501E111BB314.jpeg

726F21ED-F7D7-4A7C-8B3B-420B845F8651.jpeg

Looking good Robert. The rounding at the prow and your zig-zag bulwark joins look spot on. I was obliged to sand the outer edges of my upper decks a bit more after fitting the bulwarks, even though they had fit like a jigsaw beforehand. Not a biggie though. I look forward to watching how you go about your hull planking, good luck Thumbsup

Looking good Robert. The rounding at the prow and your zig-zag bulwark joins look spot on. I was obliged to sand the outer edges of my upper decks a bit more after fitting the bulwarks, even though they had fit like a jigsaw beforehand. Not a biggie though. I look forward to watching how you go about your hull planking, good luck Thumbsup
Thanks Mark , Cannot wait to start planking the Hull , but not before I have my new electric bender , I found them very useful on building the Lady Nelson , similar to the ‘Fly’ , Amati has a manual plank bender , actually I have one but didn’t appreciate the result , look Mark I am in no hurry

Back