HMS Fly (Amati) 1:64 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thanks Mark , Cannot wait to start planking the Hull , but not before I have my new electric bender , I found them very useful on building the Lady Nelson , similar to the ‘Fly’ , Amati has a manual plank bender , actually I have one but didn’t appreciate the result , look Mark I am in no hurry
Hello Robert and Mark. I envy you two guys. Two talented chaps building a HMS Fly and pretty much at the same point....a good place to be..... and two Aussies (well an adopted one for Mark).
Cheers Grant

After watching CaptainCabins HMS Fly work, I would like to suggest you to take a look on the Amati blog site where is a "Bible" of Amati construction there that worth the reading : Amati HMS Fly Bible. I will use it for my future project.
Thanks for the HMS Fly bible ,it is certainly helpful and useful and the amount of info is staggering , on an other note I have visited your place in 1999 as Master on a vessel en route to Montreal , St Lawrence Seaway , Lake Ontario and finally heading towards Cleveland and on well deserved leave flying back via Chicago to Oz

Hello Robert and Mark. I envy you two guys. Two talented chaps building a HMS Fly and pretty much at the same point....a good place to be..... and two Aussies (well an adopted one for Mark).
Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant , it certainly a great project , I don’t stick to the work of order protocol per se , depends on my mood ha ha ..

Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant although I think you're using the word 'talented' a bit loosely. In my case anyway ROTF. But yes it is nice to have someone I can copy from, as long as the teacher doesn't notice ...

Assembled the rudder and rudder post , the 1mm wire recommended and issued , not easy to bend into 90 degr angles , just didn’t find them looking good so used .5 mm wire instead to create the hooks on the brace , test fitted and made some adjustments here and there to fit nicely through the Stern counter allowing the Rudder to swing freely , I received my plank bender today!!

69DF3187-FADA-4E77-BFE9-973BCF03C9D9.jpeg

22AE636E-84E7-4318-A2FF-9591FF9AE5B8.jpeg

F4ADF92E-07AC-4295-AF1A-644514B91096.jpeg

91BE7C07-9726-4F44-81B3-40F08E6B1080.jpeg

Gave my newly acquired electric bender a workout , I am certain there are other methods to curve planks and work , but I like this little tool , the bended planks are dry and ready to use , I tapered the forward section 2.5 mm as from bulkhead 4 towards the bow leaving a slight gap to fill eventually with the 2nd planking , also I use a little plane for tapering ( not to be done inside as per command)

D77AAC2E-A55E-42FC-8988-571FF8118AFD.jpeg

3565B80A-075C-4449-AF51-A18B77627E87.jpeg

D5892448-98BF-404A-A2FC-B5DDDBB6E0A4.jpeg

B66E7E16-0F23-4734-9BA2-0FA72B874587.jpeg

Those first 3 planks are lying beautifully at the bow Robert! You have clearly done a very good job of fairing the hull - something that awaits me tomorrow.

Thanks Heinrich , I just have to take it slowly , no rush , just get it right ! It is with all these things in life , no competition
Slowly, but surely, that's the ticket.
Looking good so far.

Gave my newly acquired electric bender a workout , I am certain there are other methods to curve planks and work , but I like this little tool , the bended planks are dry and ready to use , I tapered the forward section 2.5 mm as from bulkhead 4 towards the bow leaving a slight gap to fill eventually with the 2nd planking , also I use a little plane for tapering ( not to be done inside as per command)

View attachment 317486

View attachment 317487

View attachment 317488

View attachment 317494
Good morning Robert- those are good planks. A mini plane - sometime I need to purchase.Thumbsup. cheers Grant

...or the thorn amongst the Roses.. ;). Is that pasta you prepared for the Ladies Robert? Looks like all had a good time. Cheers Grant
...or the thorn amongst the Roses.. ;). Is that pasta you prepared for the Ladies Robert? Looks like all had a good time. Cheers Grant
I had no intention to stay , but they insisted ! I joined them after I finished in the kitchen , no pasta though , a request Bourguignon style Beef Meatballs and slow cooked Peppercorn Beef Meatballs , the ladies woofed it down .

4BE5DAD2-5B6D-4470-82B3-148F46C97420.jpeg

981CE293-FCF1-4EF1-8D7F-032894846918.jpeg

Please oh please tell me that is not mashed potato! I would pay big money for that plate of food now!!!

Please oh please tell me that is not mashed potato! I would pay big money for that plate of food now!!!
Yes , Yes , mashed potato Heinrich , it is an easy to prepare meal , anyway I love doing this sort of thing , my other is Indonesian , brought up and served in both Navy and Merchant Marine a weekly tradition as you are building ships in the Dutch East India trade or Spice trade in those days , must say it takes me days to prepare , the various Nasi ( Rice) and other delicious dishes , you name it.

Back