HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

sorry , looks like I have some problems with the Chrome browser, switched to old browser. Great work Uwek, now it is too late for painting, you will only mess it up at this stage, looks amazing as it is

Last edited:
Very interesting discussion you have. I'm not a structural engineer but I'll try to use logical understanding (my understanding ROTF ). A slight curvature can be seen in the pictures you show (the lower row of bars), am I right when I say that this slight curvature achieves greater stability than if this bar were straight. In the case of loads, the groove would be somewhat narrowed in the upper area and the beam resting in it would be crushed. Furthermore, the construction also depends on the size (length and width ratio) and shape of the grid (square or rectangle). When I think of things like that, I also think of a brick vault, for example. As I've seen, there are of course straight (flat) grids where the aspects behave a little differently. As far as the alignment is concerned, the one in picture E10/3 looks better to me because it adapts to the lines of the ship and does not disturb the overall picture of a deck.
As mentioned above, it is curiosity that drives me to write something on the subject, I hope it will not be misunderstood.

During research for drawings of the Soleil Royal I found a reprint of a contemporary drawing of a french 74-gunner (1719) which is also showing the grating direction like in my post #901

IMG_3255.jpg

IMG_3257.jpg
(BTW: interesting is also the treenailing of the deck planking - not often shown in contemporary drawings)

and Boudriot is showing a detail sketch of such a grating

IMG_3259.jpg

so the french original drawing as well as Jean Boudriot if confirming this practice .......

But you are building an English ship ...
The best source to answer your question is an old English contemporary model. But this time it shows the same as the french drawing

View attachment 385783
you are aboslutely correct - I wanted to show only in addition the same way the french navy built their gratings

Using your photo and making an excerpt to show it better

l3126_004.jpg

and also this view of another english section model is confirming it

l0277_003.jpg

l0277_003.jpg

The last post from my side referring the gratings, than I will go back to my log.......

I found in Brianm Laverys book "The Arming and fitting of English Ships of the War 1600 - 1815" the following information, which is confirming the before mentioned information

IMG_3287.jpg
IMG_3291.jpg

and also two photos showing the grating of a main hatch of a contemporary model either from above and also from below

IMG_3288.jpg

I think, that I will sum up the known information in an extra topic

Back to my model and the work

I started the quarterdeck bulkhead wall ......

Goodwin is showing two possible versions

IMG_1894.jpg
IMG_1895.jpg

First the vertical curved pillars wich are fixed to the front beam

IMG_3223.jpg

before going further I installed the small ladder inside

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

first is the deep waterway plank which is going over the complete width of the deck

IMG_3225.jpg

Preparation of the half doors to the cabin accomodation

IMG_3230.jpg

Dry fitted

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

I still did not decide, which version of the bulkhead I will finaly make

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

Many Thanks to @Tobias , @Steef66 and @dockattner for the direct kind replies and also all the likes received

But I have to give the compliments to @CAFmodel for a very clever idea refering the curved form of these two doors.

IMG_1900.jpg

On this older photo you can slightly see still the laser marks on the front of the door.

The parts were lasered in the curved form out of 4 or 5mm thick wooden sheet - so all together 6 planks laser cut - so not difficult for me.

Many Thanks to @Tobias , @Steef66 and @dockattner for the direct kind replies and also all the likes received

But I have to give the compliments to @CAFmodel for a very clever idea refering the curved form of these two doors.

View attachment 386421

On this older photo you can slightly see still the laser marks on the front of the door.

The parts were lasered in the curved form out of 4 or 5mm thick wooden sheet - so all together 6 planks laser cut - so not difficult for me.
It’s always nice when a kit makes your life easier! ;)

Wygląda super .Pozdrawiam Mirek

It looks great. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Back