HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Witaj
Moździerze wyglądają super jak cały model.Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Mortars look great as the whole model. Regards Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
The barrels look really good and sound! For my taste, they are a bit glossy, but nothing to worry about, it is just me. I would give them a light rub with graphite powder or paste between the fingers. Perhaps, this might be a representation of the photo itself, glossy.

Many thanks to @Peter Voogt , @Nomad , @Bill Hime , @dockattner , @shota70 , @Ptèr , @Steef66 , @Mirek , @RDN1954 , @Lucian29 , @ShipmodelIdeas , @Jimsky , @pianoforte , @GrantTyler and @Dean62 for the kind comments and replies and also for all the likes received

@RDN1954
I am using the stuff from Balistol - it is more "bluing" than blackening, but I like it very much
Ballistol.jpg

@Jimsky
Thanks for the hint with graphit powder - It is a question of (actual) taste - sometimes I like it with graphit and on other models not so much......
Looking on some original muzzles and alos mortars - they are sometimes glossy some not - depending on the light

I can still decide if I will do it on the mortars of the Granado - I can still remove them from the mortar bed in order to put some fine graphit powder on the surface

In the meantime the trunnion caps are installed, together with the special flat headed eyebolt for the wedges and the hinges,
also several eyebolts for lifting the hole mortar and also for the mortar tackles for turning

the 13" mortar has a removable base in order to keep it exactly in 45 degrees angle

IMG_2786.jpg

the 10" mortar has a wedge at the rear, somehow like "normal" guns

IMG_2787.jpg

Temporarily I installed the mortars and the walls of the mortar boxes only to have a felling how they will look like in the model - btw: the mortar carriages are already treated with CLOU, all the rest not -> therefore the colour difference

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2793.jpg

IMG_2791.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

IMG_2788.jpg

Many thanks for your interest - to be continued ......

IMG_2793.jpg

The angle of fire seems too small for a mortar...

In the meantime the trunnion caps are installed, together with the special flat headed eyebolt for the wedges and the hinges,
also several eyebolts for lifting the hole mortar and also for the mortar tackles for turning

the 13" mortar has a removable base in order to keep it exactly in 45 degrees angle

View attachment 383936

the 10" mortar has a wedge at the rear, somehow like "normal" guns

View attachment 383937

Temporarily I installed the mortars and the walls of the mortar boxes only to have a felling how they will look like in the model - btw: the mortar carriages are already treated with CLOU, all the rest not -> therefore the colour difference

View attachment 383940

View attachment 383943

View attachment 383941

View attachment 383942

View attachment 383939

View attachment 383938

Many thanks for your interest - to be continued ......
Luckily the masts are shortened already, giving the mortars free shooting range, otherwise the captain would loose those at the first shot... ;)
Other than that, your build looks great!

I like the view with the two different style of mortars.

Did the real ship always have the same style on board?

The Granado was one of these vessels, which changed her duty and also the fitting a lot during her career

Let us take a look at the military history

Screenshot 2023-07-11 092205.png

Military:
1742 - built as a sloop - 1749 laid up
1755 - refitted as a sloop
1756 - refitted as a bomb
1760 - refitted as a sloop
1761 - refitted as a bomb
1763 - sold

private:
1763 - refitted as a merchantman and renamed Prince Frederick
1769 - refitted as a whaler
1782 - refitted as a transport and wrecked in the same year

she had permanent hatches over the mortar beds -> therefore the big advantages for the private use as a merchantman etc.

Now some words to the mortars of the Granado

when we take a look at the contemporary drawing of the Granado

Granado bodyplan.jpg

we can see two identical 13" mortars

Granado.jpg

but as documented during the refitting it was decided to change one into a 10" mortar

Screenshot 2023-07-11 092146.png

A lot of information you can find in this topic describing the complete history of the HMS Granado / Grenado launched 1742

A really good source for information about the history of bomb vessels is
Chris Ware: "The Bomb Vessel: Shore Bombardment Ships of the Age of Sail"

It was in the mid of the 18th century common, that bomb vessels were used as normal sloops. From 1755 on the RN began to use ship rigged bomb vessels. In the second batch of the design during the 1770th no ketch rigged bomb vessels were used.

Back