HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Great craftsmanship Uwek. Did you use the Ecoline between the deck planks? Cheers
Yes
both sides of the individual plank were painted with black Ecoline - with no glue at the contact areas.
The planking strips were fixed with glue only downwards with the beams

Many Thanks to @GrantTyler , @Mirek , @Bill Hime , @WojtasS , @Lucian29 and @Nomad for the kind words and interest, and also to everybody for the given likes

The main mast bitts were prepared

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2697.jpg

good that these bitts have to be fixed on top of the additional boards of the mast partners, so it can be preared completely and removed afterwards not to damage them

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

the small knees also fixed - final sanding after the "bolts" are installed (still some laser char visible)

IMG_2700.jpg

more or less finished with temporary arrangment with mast and wedges

IMG_2701.jpg

IMG_2702.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest in my work on the CAF HMS Granado .... much appreciated .... to be continued .....

some small more progress with installing the small beams etc.

View attachment 377021
The bowsprit is a dummy only to get a feeling

View attachment 377022

View attachment 377023

View attachment 377024

View attachment 377025

View attachment 377026

View attachment 377027

View attachment 377028

View attachment 377029

View attachment 377030

Many Thanks for your interest - to be continued .....

I am open for all comments and hints, negative and positiv - especially also related to the question of the hawse holes (which are already drilled off course
Beautiful work!

That sure looks like the real deal. Great work

The mast wedges were kept in place with some means or were just...wedged
Hallo @Lucian29
sorry for the late reply, I was on a busianess trip over the weekend and had no chance to be online.

These wedges were really only wedged down and prodced the press forces against the mast and against the so called partners

on this photo you can see the "partners" - the wooden elements between the two deck beams
you can see also the gap (here too small and has to be widened) between the partners and the mast
The opening is often an octagon, so it can take over 8 wedges

IMG_1849.jpg

the very rough (not at all sanded) wedges around the mast (8 wedges)

IMG_1804.jpg

with the deck planking - but be aware, that the wedges are wedged towards the partners and not the planking

IMG_1809.jpg

the 8 weddges from bellow without mast

IMG_1811.jpg

with some adjustments of the thickness of the wedges, the mast angle was able to be slightly adjusted
so f.e. some thicker fore and thinner aft wedges , the mast would get a more inclination / rake towards aft - somehow finetuning of the sailing qualities

these topics can be also somehow interesting:

Many Thanks to @GrantTyler , @Mirek , @Bill Hime , @WojtasS , @Lucian29 and @Nomad for the kind words and interest, and also to everybody for the given likes

The main mast bitts were prepared

View attachment 380824

View attachment 380825

good that these bitts have to be fixed on top of the additional boards of the mast partners, so it can be preared completely and removed afterwards not to damage them

View attachment 380826

View attachment 380827

the small knees also fixed - final sanding after the "bolts" are installed (still some laser char visible)

View attachment 380828

more or less finished with temporary arrangment with mast and wedges

View attachment 380829

View attachment 380830

View attachment 380831

Many Thanks for the interest in my work on the CAF HMS Granado .... much appreciated .... to be continued .....
On real ships I know the mast wedges were driven in to help hold and align the mast, but were they then cleaned up to look nice and even as often seen or just left uneven and rough?? Trying to learn the difference in real ship and model building.

Thank you very much Uvek for kind explanation. Currently I'm on a ship myself , but when I go home don't mind if I purchase this awesome kit and "steal" your m.o.
Cheers

On real ships I know the mast wedges were driven in to help hold and align the mast, but were they then cleaned up to look nice and even as often seen or just left uneven and rough?? Trying to learn the difference in real ship and model building.
Hallo Kurt,
yes, on sailing vessels like ours, they were correctly shaped and afterwards covered with some canvas and tarred to protect them from moisture and making the deck on this part watertight. Imagine what could happen when the wood of the wedges and / or mast would rot - immense danger for the ship

Here are some examples, originally posted by @Thomas Marocke
P7050048.JPG P7050077.JPG

P7050059.JPG

Hallo @Lucian29
sorry for the late reply, I was on a busianess trip over the weekend and had no chance to be online.

These wedges were really only wedged down and prodced the press forces against the mast and against the so called partners

on this photo you can see the "partners" - the wooden elements between the two deck beams
you can see also the gap (here too small and has to be widened) between the partners and the mast
The opening is often an octagon, so it can take over 8 wedges

View attachment 381539

the very rough (not at all sanded) wedges around the mast (8 wedges)

View attachment 381540

with the deck planking - but be aware, that the wedges are wedged towards the partners and not the planking

View attachment 381541

the 8 weddges from bellow without mast

View attachment 381542

with some adjustments of the thickness of the wedges, the mast angle was able to be slightly adjusted
so f.e. some thicker fore and thinner aft wedges , the mast would get a more inclination / rake towards aft - somehow finetuning of the sailing qualities

these topics can be also somehow interesting:

Hi Uwe. You have added some very nice details around the mast with those wedged. Time consuming but with a great appearance.
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to all for your kind comments and likes - and the intire interest in my building log
highly appreciated and a big motivation to procede with the work on the model and making regular posts showing the small working progress

The upper part of the model has still the two open areas for the two mortars - so the next working step will be the mortar beds and also the mortars

IMG_1885aa.jpg
(photo is showing an older status of progress)

already in January I made the first wooden floor of one of the mortar boxes

so I will not show in detail the second one

IMG_2705.jpg

after nailing the second floor with copper bolts I made this photo -> on the right side the older one from January and on the left the new one.
If you take a close look at the bolts you can see already the difference in the color of the nails - copper is getting darker with the time -> because of this behaviour I like copper more than brass for immitating bolt heads

IMG_2706.jpg

some main elements of the mortar carriages are cnc-milled

IMG_2718.jpg

In one of the contemporary drawings the mortars are shown

Granado.jpg

not completely visible, but we know from other documents, that the Granado had two different sizes of mortars
one 10" and a bigger 13" mortars (see here also the information given in threedecks)

CAF is supplying with the kit exactly these two different types of mortars, so historical absolutely correct - In the caldercraft kit the mortars are identical

after some cleaning the two different mortar carriages (on the left the 10", on the right the 13")

IMG_2730.jpg

IMG_2731.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

I could not resist to put the uncleaned muzzles temporary on the carriages and you can see the difference

IMG_2733.jpg

the 13" mortar
IMG_2734.jpg

an the 10" mortar
IMG_2735.jpg

to be continued ......

Back