HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Before I can finalize the walls and deck of the after cabin I have to make the inner planking
and before I can make the inner planking I have to finalize the waterway(s) on which the planking / spirketing is laying ..... so

one of the next working steps will be the waterway(s)

The kit offers the waterway segments on the sheet with the laser cut planking boards

Using these parts from the kit with the first fitting test

View attachment 350944

The form fitts well (curvatur and also the joints

View attachment 350945

View attachment 350946

But ......

the waterway elements of the kit have off course the smae thickness like the deck planking (coming from the same sheet)

In the Goodwin book we know this cross section through the mortar
View attachment 350953

On the left side we can see the cross section of the waterway (edge to the planking in the same height) - slightly different on the right side where the edge is higher than the planking

View attachment 350952 View attachment 350951

another cross section showing a waterway similar to the right on above

View attachment 350950

But definitely (as usual) the waterway is made from an appr. double height wooden board than the normal planking

Therefore I decided to make my waterways in scratch using some thicker pear wood - also to produce some color difference compared to the planking

Using the kit parts as templates

View attachment 350947

after some minutes with the scroll saw

View attachment 350948

The first working step is done

View attachment 350949

Now the inclinations have to be sanded, the outer form adjusted and the treenails to be made ..... step by step

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ....
Very nice! I noticed in Historic Ship Models, waterways were not even with the deck but instead many are 'sculpted' to help channel water to scuppers. Nice job!

It is obvious that the saying "form follows function" is a principle in practice long before its origin in 19th century architecture. Very evident in a ship's waterway, which have their shape because of the function they perform, draining excess water from a ship's deck.

I really appreciate those modelers who take on additional work to make their model more accurate in those details where a viewer's trained eye would notice. Nicely done!

Before I can finalize the walls and deck of the after cabin I have to make the inner planking
and before I can make the inner planking I have to finalize the waterway(s) on which the planking / spirketing is laying ..... so

The kit offers the waterway segments on the sheet with the laser cut planking boards

View attachment 350944

View attachment 350945

View attachment 350946

But ......

the waterway elements of the kit have off course the smae thickness like the deck planking (coming from the same sheet)

View attachment 350953

On the left side we can see the cross section of the waterway (edge to the planking in the same height) - slightly different on the right side where the edge is higher than the planking

View attachment 350950

But definitely (as usual) the waterway is made from an appr. double height wooden board than the normal planking

Therefore I decided to make my waterways in scratch using some thicker pear wood - also to produce some color difference compared to the planking

View attachment 350947

View attachment 350948

View attachment 350949

Now the inclinations have to be sanded, the outer form adjusted and the treenails to be made ..... step by step

wonderful work my friend, It's looks beautiful :)

View attachment 350944

View attachment 350945

View attachment 350946

But ......

View attachment 350953

View attachment 350950

View attachment 350947

View attachment 350948

View attachment 350949

Nice added details, those scratch waterways, Uwe.
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to @Mirek , @shota70 , @Tobias , @Hoss6262 and @Cathber for the kind comments and all others for the given likes / thumb upps

usually the small copper nails have 0,6 or sometimes 0,7mm diameter - predrilling of pilotholes is a must, although the timber of this kit are very good and splintering is extremely unlikely. I pre-drill with 0,5mm, so that the nail is slightly pressed into the wood, therefore no glue necessary.
Bonjour, y a t il une raison particulière pour laquelle vous avez utilisé des clous en cuivre au lieu de clou en laiton que l'on trouve plus facilement dans le commerce ?
Hello, is there a particular reason why you used copper nails instead of brass nails which are more easily found on the market ?

Many Thanks to @Philski , @Hoss6262 , @shota70, @Peter Voogt and @Cathber for your kind comments and your interest
and off cozurse all other for the likes received - much appreciated

Hello, is there a particular reason why you used copper nails instead of brass nails which are more easily found on the market ?
Simple answer - I like the appearance much more compared to brass nails

A small technical advantage of copper compared to brass is the fact, that this metal is slightly softer than brass, so easier to sand smoothe with the surface. A small disadvantage of the softness is, that using a hammer sometimes they bent faster - so pre-drilling is important.

But most important for me is the final appearance of the nail head after some time.
brass is shiny and will stay shiny - brass is reflecting the light
copper is darkening after some time so that the nail heads or better pseudo-bolts are with some time not so noticeable any more

As an example you can see here the "copper-nailed" hull planking of my Le Coureur, clinker build

IMG_2034.jpg

Many Thanks to @Philski , @Hoss6262 , @shota70, @Peter Voogt and @Cathber for your kind comments and your interest
and off cozurse all other for the likes received - much appreciated

Simple answer - I like the appearance much more compared to brass nails

A small technical advantage of copper compared to brass is the fact, that this metal is slightly softer than brass, so easier to sand smoothe with the surface. A small disadvantage of the softness is, that using a hammer sometimes they bent faster - so pre-drilling is important.

But most important for me is the final appearance of the nail head after some time.
brass is shiny and will stay shiny - brass is reflecting the light
copper is darkening after some time so that the nail heads or better pseudo-bolts are with some time not so noticeable any more

As an example you can see here the "copper-nailed" hull planking of my Le Coureur, clinker build

View attachment 351732
Merci pour votre réponse, je consulte fréquemment votre journal de construction du HMS Granado avec grand intérêt car je vais peut être me lancer sur cette construction.
Félicitation pour votre travail, c'est super et cela donne envie de se lancer.
Encore une question d'amateur. Avec le temps, les clous en cuivre ne risque -t-il pas de se patiner et de prendre une couleur en vert (corrosion du cuivre) ?

Thank you for your response, I frequently check your HMS Granado build log with great interest as I may be getting into this build.
Congratulations on your work, it's great and it makes you want to get started.
Another amateur question. Over time, aren't the copper nails likely to patina and take on a green color (copper corrosion) ?

Merci pour votre réponse, je consulte fréquemment votre journal de construction du HMS Granado avec grand intérêt car je vais peut être me lancer sur cette construction.
Félicitation pour votre travail, c'est super et cela donne envie de se lancer.
Encore une question d'amateur. Avec le temps, les clous en cuivre ne risque -t-il pas de se patiner et de prendre une couleur en vert (corrosion du cuivre) ?

Thank you for your response, I frequently check your HMS Granado build log with great interest as I may be getting into this build.
Congratulations on your work, it's great and it makes you want to get started.
Another amateur question. Over time, aren't the copper nails likely to patina and take on a green color (copper corrosion) ?
they are getting darker and dull - and no green color caused by copper oxidation or copper rust
I am not sure, but I think you need water for such an oxidation (like at the liberty statue)
lochfrass-kupferrohr-innensanierung.jpg 3151476 (1).jpg
the nail heads have such a dark red-brown color .....

Over time, aren't the copper nails likely to patina and take on a green color (copper corrosion) ?
The green discoloration is caused by salts and ammonia vapors. You can reproduce this on a quick way at home by rub the copper with wet salt and put it in a plastic bag and a bowl of ammonia. Close the bag (blow air in it so the plastic bag stays blistered.) Leave this for 24 hours and your copper pieces will be green like Uwek's pictures.

The green discoloration is caused by salts and ammonia vapors. You can reproduce this on a quick way at home by rub the copper with wet salt and put it in a plastic bag and a bowl of ammonia. Close the bag (blow air in it so the plastic bag stays blistered.) Leave this for 24 hours and your copper pieces will be green like Uwek's pictures.
Many Thanks for the additional information.
So if you would like to have a coppered hull with green oxidation -> but it in a bag etc....
Did somebody tried this already? If yes, please post the experience

Going further with the waterways

Also the waterway-plank is fixed with treenails towards the deck beams

IMG_1719.jpg

The flat scarf joint is faked - only with a sharp knife cut into the waterway - later on with some black color it will look like a caulked joint

IMG_1720.jpg

IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

The cross section of the waterway

IMG_1731.jpg

A first trial with the deck planking to get a firt feeling og how it will look like

IMG_1721.jpg

During installation some smaller adjustment will be necessary in order to remove the small gaps (you can see, that I mixed already the planking, so that now grain line will move from one plank over to the neighbour plank

IMG_1722.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Going further with the waterways

Also the waterway-plank is fixed with treenails towards the deck beams

View attachment 351949

The flat scarf joint is faked - only with a sharp knife cut into the waterway - later on with some black color it will look like a caulked joint

View attachment 351950

View attachment 351953

View attachment 351954

The cross section of the waterway

View attachment 351955

A first trial with the deck planking to get a firt feeling og how it will look like

View attachment 351951

During installation some smaller adjustment will be necessary in order to remove the small gaps (you can see, that I mixed already the planking, so that now grain line will move from one plank over to the neighbour plank

View attachment 351952

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Nice to see the process of making the nibbling planks and waterways, Uwe.
Regards, Peter

Good preparatory work for the nibbing Uwe. I have a question though: When you make the adjustments to the bow end on the planks that do not fit nicely into the waterway now, (it looks like you will have to increase their angles), will the plank not end up being too short towards the midships area?

img_1722-jpg.351952

Nice work Uwe Thumbsup

Almost a shame that all that intricate woodwork will be covered over by deck planking. Ah well... ;)

Many Thanks to @Peter Voogt , @Heinrich and @Nomad for the comments and all the likes received

When you make the adjustments to the bow end on the planks that do not fit nicely into the waterway now, (it looks like you will have to increase their angles), will the plank not end up being too short towards the midships area?
Not at all - CAF prepared the preshaped planking in such a way, that all of them are longer than needed.
Also easier possible, because we have a deck with a step in between - these planks shown in the posts are ending at the wall towards the after cabin

All together we have several decks and levels in the ship

IMG_0646aaa.jpg

dark green - main deck
light green - after cabin deck
purple - after cabin floor
dark blue - several small decks in the hold

on midship between the two mortar beds are no decks in the hold

so back to @Heinrich question:
we are talking about the drak green deck - and the planking is longer than the edge towards the cabin wall -> adjustments at the bow are possible without any bigger problems with length

In addition, if this would be not case:
I will follow as much as possible the planking pattern shown in the Anatomy book from Peter Goodwin
and
I will plank only approximately half of the deck - the other side will be without planking, so that the structure with beams, carlings, knees is visible.
(refering also to @Nomad ´s comment)

IMG_0726.jpg

The kit is providing deck planking for the complete deck area - and the laser cut planking is mirrored along the ships axis

So with partially shortening the planks to get the joints (four shift pattern), and the double material for only half of the deck planking, I will have enough material

Many Thanks to @Peter Voogt , @Heinrich and @Nomad for the comments and all the likes received

Not at all - CAF prepared the preshaped planking in such a way, that all of them are longer than needed.
Also easier possible, because we have a deck with a step in between - these planks shown in the posts are ending at the wall towards the after cabin

All together we have several decks and levels in the ship

View attachment 352128

dark green - main deck
light green - after cabin deck
purple - after cabin floor
dark blue - several small decks in the hold

on midship between the two mortar beds are no decks in the hold

so back to @Heinrich question:
we are talking about the drak green deck - and the planking is longer than the edge towards the cabin wall -> adjustments at the bow are possible without any bigger problems with length

In addition, if this would be not case:
I will follow as much as possible the planking pattern shown in the Anatomy book from Peter Goodwin
and
I will plank only approximately half of the deck - the other side will be without planking, so that the structure with beams, carlings, knees is visible.
(refering also to @Nomad ´s comment)

View attachment 352129

The kit is providing deck planking for the complete deck area - and the laser cut planking is mirrored along the ships axis

So with partially shortening the planks to get the joints (four shift pattern), and the double material for only half of the deck planking, I will have enough material
That is all good then - no need for concern. Thank you for the reply, Uwe.

Starting with the adjustments of the deck planking

with cutting into reasonable lengths to produce the butt joints - everytime on top a beam - locations of the butt joints are similar like in Goodwins book

IMG_1737.jpg

also the contact areas of the planks with the waterway have to be corrected

IMG_1739.jpg

the edges of the waterway are painted black (with Ecoline black) to simulate the caulking

IMG_1740.jpg

the fake joints in the waterway were also painted with Ecoline

IMG_1741.jpg

Each planking row (in the kit included one plank over the complete length) was divided into 2 or 3 single planks in order to reach the planking pattern of Goodwins deck drawing

IMG_1742.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_1744.jpg

after all the necessary adjustments of the planks I painted the edges of the planks also with black Ecoline pencils

IMG_1763.jpg

and placed

IMG_1764.jpg

The last wider plank (row 7 kings-plank) is not prepared until now.

IMG_1765.jpg

Planking rows 13 to 8 are already fixed to the beams
Planking row 7 is an oversized (in width) plank, which has to be adjusted in width to fitt well to the mortar box walls.
Very clever idea by CAF, with this the modeler has the chance to adjust the deckplanking to his real situation with his model and to cover some inaccuracies in his work

IMG_1766.jpg IMG_1770.jpg

The CAF sketch in the manual - row 7 is marked in red
IMG_1767.jpg

Excerpt of Goodwin´s deck drawing
IMG_1768.jpg

Excerpt of CAF´s deck drawing
IMG_1769.jpg

Many Thanks to your interest in my work on the Granado - highly appreciated - to be continued

Many thanks to all the comments and the likes received - much appreciated

Some days ago I explained the plank #7 which is oversized, better has a oversized width and also bordered directly to the mortar box.
In order to define the correct width over the length it is necessary as a next step to prepare the box of the mortar, minumum the box walls.

(plank 7 is located over the beam marked with 12)
IMG_1142.jpg

so for a short interruption I prepared the box

so first the floor of the mortar box - once more two sizes of copper-"bolts"

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1772.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

the center hole is the truning center of the mortar

IMG_1775.jpg

The two layers of wooden beams will be founded on the mortar bed structure

IMG_1776.jpg

unfortunately I made no photos of making the box walls

IMG_1777.jpg

and a fast dry fit in the deck structure

IMG_1778.jpg

Now I can go further with the deck planking

Many Thanks for the interest in my building log .... to be continued .....

Back