HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Many thanks to all the comments and the likes received - much appreciated

Some days ago I explained the plank #7 which is oversized, better has a oversized width and also bordered directly to the mortar box.
In order to define the correct width over the length it is necessary as a next step to prepare the box of the mortar, minumum the box walls.

(plank 7 is located over the beam marked with 12)
View attachment 353375

so for a short interruption I prepared the box

so first the floor of the mortar box - once more two sizes of copper-"bolts"

View attachment 353376

View attachment 353377

View attachment 353378

View attachment 353379

the center hole is the truning center of the mortar

View attachment 353380

The two layers of wooden beams will be founded on the mortar bed structure

View attachment 353381

unfortunately I made no photos of making the box walls

View attachment 353382

and a fast dry fit in the deck structure

View attachment 353383

Now I can go further with the deck planking

Many Thanks for the interest in my building log .... to be continued .....
Those copper bolts looks great, Uwe.
Regards, Peter

Starting in the meantime already the stern structure

the wing transom and the four transom elements which will be installed at the inner sternpost are cnc milled the last cant frame #53 is laser cut - here still with the laser marks for bevelling

View attachment 300673

Bonjour,
Petite question technique. Comment avez vous positionné les 2 pieces encadrées en rouge sur le modèle (voir img-9268), alors qu'il n'y a aucune indication ou marque (voir img_0081) ? merci.

Hello, Small technical question. How did you position the 2 pieces framed in red on the model (see img-9268), when there is no indication or mark (see img_0081)? thanks

IMG-9268.jpg

IMG_0081.jpg

Bonjour,
Petite question technique. Comment avez vous positionné les 2 pieces encadrées en rouge sur le modèle (voir img-9268), alors qu'il n'y a aucune indication ou marque (voir img_0081) ? merci.

Hello, Small technical question. How did you position the 2 pieces framed in red on the model (see img-9268), when there is no indication or mark (see img_0081)? thanks

View attachment 353660

View attachment 353661
Hallo @Cathber
many thanks for your interest and your question, which I try to answer - it is already some time ago, but I try to retrace

The information can be found in the drawings and have to be transfered to the real deadwood of the model

The first drawing is this one, showing the keel structure and elements and also the frames sitting on the keel
In the top we can see the front edge of the deadwood (red arrow)
and in addition in the drawing under the part with the steps you are asking. Here we can see that the lweor curved part is following the fairing line (green arrows)
Screenshot 2023-01-26 152652.png

On the deawood we can see the fairing line, which is prepared by CAF in the part (green) and the front end of the deadwood (red)

IMG_0082.jpg

Now we take a look at the second drawing
Here we have in addition to the green and red information also the front edge of the "step-part" (I do not know the correct english term for it) marked with blue arrow
Screenshot 2023-01-26 152746.png

with this information you are able to find the correct location

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0218.jpg

@Cathber
What I forgot to ask you: Do you work also on the Granado?
If yes it would be great if you could show us your progress, maybe in a building log ?
Would be interesting.....
Merci @Uwek pour les renseignements, Je comprends mieux.
Pouvez vous également m'indiquer le processus pour la partie avant ?
Je n'ai pas encore acheté le modèle. J'attends la retraite (en milieu d'année) pour me lancer, mais j'étudie avec attention votre journal de construction qui est trés riche.
J'en profite également pour m'équiper de matériels divers.
Au moment voulu je ferai également un journal de construction pour partager ma construction.

Thanks @Uwek for the information, I understand better.
Can you also tell me the process for the front part?
I haven't bought the model yet. I am waiting for retirement (in the middle of the year) to start, but I am carefully studying your construction journal which is very rich.
I also take the opportunity to equip myself with various materials.
When the time is right I will also make a construction diary to share my construction.

What is amazing to me, Uwe, is that this very same detail appears on my Kingfisher but I thought it might be unique to that class of ship. But here it is on your ship as well (in my ignorance it probably exists universally). My point is I have been following your work attentively but never noticed this detail. Amazing what we 'see' and 'don't see'...

Last edited:
Merci @Uwek pour les renseignements, Je comprends mieux.
Pouvez vous également m'indiquer le processus pour la partie avant ?
Je n'ai pas encore acheté le modèle. J'attends la retraite (en milieu d'année) pour me lancer, mais j'étudie avec attention votre journal de construction qui est trés riche.
J'en profite également pour m'équiper de matériels divers.
Au moment voulu je ferai également un journal de construction pour partager ma construction.

Thanks @Uwek for the information, I understand better.
Can you also tell me the process for the front part?
I haven't bought the model yet. I am waiting for retirement (in the middle of the year) to start, but I am carefully studying your construction journal which is very rich.
I also take the opportunity to equip myself with various materials.
When the time is right I will also make a construction diary to share my construction.
The priciples are the same. The only difference is, that the curved lower edge of the part is following the rabbet

Merci @Uwek pour ces précieux renseignements. Encore mes félicitations pour votre construction et pour la partager à travers votre journal de construction.
Encore une question: En cas de casse ou perte d'une pièce, est-il possible de se la procurer facilement chez CAF ?

Thank you @Uwek for this valuable information. Congratulations again on your build and for sharing it through your build diary. BRAVO
One more question: In case of breakage or loss of a part, is it possible to obtain it easily from CAF?

I following this with interest, because I'm making the plans for the Dutch 2 decker and there are now drawings of this kind. I need to search for the info in history books, and other builds to design these frames and keel. These builds help me to find my way in it.

Many thanks to all your interest in my log and also the comments and likes received

Started with the treenailing of the deck - in order to check how it will look like on the deck planking

IMG_1779.jpg

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

Here you can see the adjusted plank row 7 which is fitting now between row 6 and the mortar box
The treenails are only cut, but not sanded down

IMG_1784.jpg

after the first sanding

IMG_1787.jpg

IMG_1785.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....

Many thanks to all your interest in my log and also the comments and likes received

Started with the treenailing of the deck - in order to check how it will look like on the deck planking

View attachment 353770

View attachment 353771

View attachment 353772

Here you can see the adjusted plank row 7 which is fitting now between row 6 and the mortar box

View attachment 353773

after the first sanding

View attachment 353776

View attachment 353774

Beautiful work!

View attachment 353770

View attachment 353771

View attachment 353772

View attachment 353773

after the first sanding

View attachment 353776

View attachment 353774

The treenails looks great, Uwe. And the caulking became better after this first sanding. Caulking with the Ecoline is always a bit tricky because it absorbs into the woodgrain, but with the Ecoline pencil it seems to be going well. Then it is better to dose. I also use that pencil more and more, also for touching on details.
Regards, Peter

Back