HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Bonjour,
Les avants trous sont de quel diamètre ? 0.5mm ?

Hello,
What diameter are the pilot holes? 0.5mm?

View attachment 353931
I am using the Proxxon drills nominal 0,5mm - in reality they are 0,46mm

Encore une question, Pouvez vous me donner les co^tes d'encombrement de la boite à construction ?
Merci d'avance
Another question, Can you give me the dimensions of the construction box?
Thanks in advance

View attachment 353932
In the evening when I am back in workshop I can make the measurement .....

In the evening when I am back in workshop I can make the measurement .....
Sorry, but yesterday I came home late, so no chance for a visit in the workshop - Today it will be possible, so the data will come ....

Many Thanks for your continuous interest in my building log
Many Thanks for your comments, hints, remarks and questions
and
Many Thanks for your likes received
much much appreciated and a continuous motivation to follow up postings showing the progress

Not only the boxes for the mortars are necessary to be finished before the deck planking can be finalized,
no also the hatch coamings have to be prepared.

The HMS Granado was an english ship, so the coamings were installed on top of the beams and carlings. Sometimes the french ships were deifferent, here the planking was first installed and the coamings were fixed on top of the planking

The fore hatch coaming is covered with a grating

IMG_1791.jpg

The grating elements are also lasered - in one direction already with a small camber

IMG_1790.jpg

a close up to see the extremly good fitting

IMG_1789.jpg

IMG_1788.jpg

the coamings were fitted also with copper bolts - on the right the coaming for the main hatch

IMG_1793.jpg

still missing here are the supports on which the covers are laying

IMG_1794.jpg

both are more less finished - only the boards will get some eyelets with rings later on

IMG_1795.jpg

dryfitted on the place

IMG_1798.jpg

IMG_1799.jpg

IMG_1797.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......

Wonderful work on your coaming bolts. Are you using steel or aluminum or some other material? The bolt to wood finish is very nice.

Many Thanks for your continuous interest in my building log
Many Thanks for your comments, hints, remarks and questions
and
Many Thanks for your likes received
much much appreciated and a continuous motivation to follow up postings showing the progress

Not only the boxes for the mortars are necessary to be finished before the deck planking can be finalized,
no also the hatch coamings have to be prepared.

The HMS Granado was an english ship, so the coamings were installed on top of the beams and carlings. Sometimes the french ships were deifferent, here the planking was first installed and the coamings were fixed on top of the planking

The fore hatch coaming is covered with a grating

View attachment 354674

The grating elements are also lasered - in one direction already with a small camber

View attachment 354673

a close up to see the extremly good fitting

View attachment 354672

View attachment 354671

the coamings were fitted also with copper bolts - on the right the coaming for the main hatch

View attachment 354675

still missing here are the supports on which the covers are laying

View attachment 354676

both are more less finished - only the boards will get some eyelets with rings later on

View attachment 354677

dryfitted on the place

View attachment 354680

View attachment 354682

View attachment 354679

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ......
Bonjour, la forme bombée est certainement du au bois qui a travaillé.
Comment allez vous redresser cette pièce (peut être en la trempant dans de l'eau et la faire sécher sous un poids ?

Hello, the curved shape is certainly due to the wood that has been worked.
How are you going to straighten this part (perhaps by soaking it in water and drying it under a weight ?

Encore une question, Pouvez vous me donner les co^tes d'encombrement de la boite à construction ?
Merci d'avance
Another question, Can you give me the dimensions of the construction box?
Thanks in advance

View attachment 353932
Now I have the dimensions of the jig

Longueur - length -> 70cm
Largeur - width -> 20cm
Hauteur - Height -> in center 12cm at the endings of the jig 15,5cm

Please have in mind, that for stability reasons (maybe not necessary, but I made it) the hig should / could be fixed to a base board

Hope this is helping

Bonjour, la forme bombée est certainement du au bois qui a travaillé.
Comment allez vous redresser cette pièce (peut être en la trempant dans de l'eau et la faire sécher sous un poids ?

Hello, the curved shape is certainly due to the wood that has been worked.
How are you going to straighten this part (perhaps by soaking it in water and drying it under a weight ?

The original curved shape / camber of the carlings was slightly too small, so after finishing the grating I soaked it slightly with water and let it dry fixed around a bigger bottle with some rubberbands. Unfortunately the camber is now slightly too much, so for the final installation I have to reduce the camber once more (in the same way, but I need a bigger radius.
But this step is necessary, only when I show finaly the hatch open and the grating laying next to it - in case the grating is finaly installed on top of the grating, the camber will be reduced by "strong forces" and I use some glue - the grating is still flexibel

Now I have the dimensions of the jig

Longueur - length -> 70cm
Largeur - width -> 20cm
Hauteur - Height -> in center 12cm at the endings of the jig 15,5cm

Please have in mind, that for stability reasons (maybe not necessary, but I made it) the hig should / could be fixed to a base board

Hope this is helping
Oui j'ai prévu de fixer la boite de construction sur une planche assez épaisse pour rigidifier l'ensemble.C'est la raison pour laquelle j'avais besoin des dimensions d'encombrement. Encore merci pour les renseignements.
Yes, I planned to fix the construction box on a board thick enough to stiffen the assembly. This is the reason why I needed the overall dimensions. Thanks again for the information.

Uwek, what materials did you use for the bolts on your grate coamings? Thank you.

Uwek, what materials did you use for the bolts on your grate coamings? Thank you.
Hallo Ken,
I am using since some time (some models) for metal "bolts" copper nails - these for the coaming have a diameter of 0,6mm (sometimes I use also 0,7mm)
take a look at my post #580 where I show the nails

Ah, yes, thank you Uwek. I guess the reason I asked is I sensed the coaming bolts looked silver to me. I think I will try working with copper bolts to test workability and appearance for my use. You obviously have taught yourself a method that reaches great results. Thank you.

Many Thanks for your interest in my building and all the likes received

I made another small "one day excursion" from the deck planking and prepared the mast wedges, which are fixing the masts against the mast partners.
Also these wedges have an influence on the planking, so therefore once it is necessary

On the left side the additional planking, which has to be installed on top of the normal deck planking (according Goodwins cross section)
and on the right side the cnc milled 8 wedges, here for the main mast

IMG_1801.jpg

cut our, not sanded or adjusted, only to show the function

IMG_1802.jpg

IMG_1803.jpg

let us see, if they fit already into the mast partners?

IMG_1804.jpg

yes - but now the parts have to be sanded .....

IMG_1806.jpg

More or less the final appearance

IMG_1809.jpg

Usually the kit manufacturer are delivering only a wooden ring, and the modeler has to cut the gaps with a knife to immitate the 8 wedges - Here with this kit it is different - Bravo

IMG_1812.jpg

and the wedges visible from the undersight

IMG_1811.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest ..... tob continued .....

Sorry my friends for the bigger break and not posting any update of the works.
I was on a business trip in sunny Panama, with most of the time not in Panama City, but driving with car direction to Columbian border, with bad or no internet connection, and very small free time

definitely the country would need some repair or development of roads and bridges - the last bridge in Panama is only a pedestrian cable bridge - afterwards only jungle
a beautiful country where a civil engineer will find some tasks.....

IMG_2300.jpg

...... only at the last day I had some hours free and visited the "old" Panama canal

IMG_2306.jpg

Sorry for not beeing online here in our forum for more than 10 days (also without any birthday wishes etc.)

Uwe,

That mast wedge is BRILLIANT. well along with the rest of this project as well. First Place Metal

Last edited:
Back