HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Sorry my friends for the bigger break and not posting any update of the works.
I was on a business trip in sunny Panama, with most of the time not in Panama City, but driving with car direction to Columbian border, with bad or no internet connection, and very small free time

definitely the country would need some repair or development of roads and bridges - the last bridge in Panama is only a pedestrian cable bridge - afterwards only jungle
a beautiful country where a civil engineer will find some tasks.....

View attachment 357175

...... only at the last day I had some hours free and visited the "old" Panama canal

View attachment 357176

Sorry for not beeing online here in our forum for more than 10 days (also without any birthday wishes etc.)
Good morning Uwek. South and Central America counties have always fascinated me. Riding an off road bike through some parts is on my bucket list for sure. Pity you only had one day to explore. Nice. Cheers Grant

a little progress on the deck planking

first the planks sanded and adjusted to fit between the waterways, hatches and the mortar box

IMG_1853.jpg

IMG_1854.jpg

IMG_1855.jpg

and fixed with the made "Ecoline-caulking"

IMG_1857.jpg

IMG_1860.jpg

(according the Goodwin book, the planking goes also over the mast-partners)

IMG_1859.jpg

Tomorrow the treenailing will follow

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued .....

Witaj
Jak zwykle świetna praca. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
Great job as usual. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks for the kind reply @Mirek and the likes received. Highly appreciated

Before the weekend, where I hope I can work a little bit more on the model, I would like to show you the latest treenailing works on the deck and the result

Based on a tip I saw in @Maarten building log I adjusted my Tooth-pick treenailing method

with using my drawplate

IMG_1861.jpg

in order to get a 2 or 3mm long permanent 0,5mm diameter pointed toothpick

IMG_1862.jpg

a little bit additional work, but let us see the final result, if it is worth to do so

IMG_1863.jpg

IMG_1865.jpg

IMG_1873.jpg

red area - normal toothpicks
green area - with drawplate pointed toothpicks

IMG_1874a.jpg

IMG_1878.jpg

IMG_1879.jpg

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

IMG_1875.jpg

IMG_1876.jpg

IMG_1877.jpg

Now I finished more or less the final planking of the deck - the rest will stay "open" to see the deck structure

IMG_1885.jpg

and this will be the sight from the other side, which will be visible later on - here also the caulking is slightly visible

IMG_1886.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued .....

Witaj
Zielony obszar wygląda super, spróbuj kiedyś kołków z igły lekarskiej wszystkie są idealnie równe i tej samej średnicy. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
The green area looks great, try the doctor's needle pins sometime, they are all perfectly even and the same diameter. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
Many Thanks for the kind reply @Mirek and the likes received. Highly appreciated

Before the weekend, where I hope I can work a little bit more on the model, I would like to show you the latest treenailing works on the deck and the result

Based on a tip I saw in @Maarten building log I adjusted my Tooth-pick treenailing method

with using my drawplate

View attachment 357886

in order to get a 2 or 3mm long permanent 0,5mm diameter pointed toothpick

View attachment 357887

a little bit additional work, but let us see the final result, if it is worth to do so

View attachment 357888

View attachment 357889

View attachment 357890

red area - normal toothpicks
green area - with drawplate pointed toothpicks

View attachment 357901

View attachment 357895

View attachment 357896

View attachment 357897

View attachment 357898

View attachment 357892

View attachment 357893

View attachment 357894

Now I finished more or less the final planking of the deck - the rest will stay "open" to see the deck structure

View attachment 357899

and this will be the sight from the other side, which will be visible later on - here also the caulking is slightly visible

View attachment 357900

Many Thanks for your interest ...... to be continued .....
A nice result with the treenails, Uwe. Did a few thousand on my BN with the same technique. Very useful and with a constant quality.
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to @Mirek , @Tobias , @dockattner , @Kurt Konrath , @Peter Voogt and @AnobiumPunctatum for the direkt comments and kind words and also to everybody for the likes received

Just wanted to show you the comparison between the Goodwin deck plan an my deck planking - The pattern is follwing completely the drawing, so I followed here the Goodwin information for example the locations of joints

IMG_0726aa.jpg

(Photo mirrored)
IMG_1885aa.jpg
and in addition some closeups to see the "caulking" from the undersight - I could imagine, that in real ships it could also look like this

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1962.jpg

and the mast partners with wedges are also finally prepared

IMG_1975.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest - to be continued ......

Many Thanks to @Mirek , @Tobias , @dockattner , @Kurt Konrath , @Peter Voogt and @AnobiumPunctatum for the direkt comments and kind words and also to everybody for the likes received

Just wanted to show you the comparison between the Goodwin deck plan an my deck planking - The pattern is follwing completely the drawing, so I followed here the Goodwin information for example the locations of joints

View attachment 358515

(Photo mirrored)
View attachment 358516
and in addition some closeups to see the "caulking" from the undersight - I could imagine, that in real ships it could also look like this

View attachment 358517

View attachment 358518

View attachment 358519

wonderful work my dear friend Exclamation-MarkOkay:)

View attachment 358515

(Photo mirrored)
View attachment 358516

View attachment 358517

View attachment 358518

View attachment 358519

Looks like a few cross members missing under the planked section.

Great work on this great kit. I agree with Maarten, the underside with all the beams looks very cool!

Looks like a few cross members missing under the planked section.
you have good eyes or recognize such things
The two carlings (red) are on purpose missing and will be installed later on.

IMG_1962.jpg IMG_1885aa.jpg

They will be installed together with the windlass carrick bitts (green), which will be fixed when I know finally how I will present them - partly cut or completely in the upper half of the model

IMG_0591.jpg IMG_1247.jpg

Back