HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Bad English
"Bad english" is not important - I am pretty sure, that I also write sometimes (or often) in a bad dinglish D(eutch)inglish.
Important is that the picks or pics or Zahnstocher are acceptable in the overall appearance
At the end it is a trial and error from this kit to the next ....

as mentioned yesterday - some sanding is still necessary, but as an example I show here the Zahnstocher (german term for toothpick) - method on an internal 2,0mm plank

before bended with an iron, drilled with 0,5mm drill and the prepared toothpicks

IMG_2121.jpg

cut with a side cutter

IMG_2122.jpg

surface sanded

IMG_2123.jpg

closeup view of the sanded surface

IMG_2124.jpg

the board was treated with CLOU - only at this stage you can see that the treenails are darkened

IMG_2125.jpg

This is more or less the final result which I would like to have on all planks - I have still some more to make .....

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued ....

Planking and treenailing ...... good, that in moment I am only planking one side and only the wales and the planks upwards
The other half (under the wales) can wait

IMG_2026.jpg IMG_2025.jpg

after cutting the fore gunport (for a chaser gun) I was able to mark the location for the treenails correctly (I tried)
The wales (all together three rows) and also the first thicker plank (#5) above the wales are "fixed" with copper bolts

IMG_2017.jpg

on top of single frames I used only one nail per connection, double and tripple frames are getting two treenails or copper bolts

IMG_2018.jpg

prepared holes with 0,5mm

IMG_2019.jpg

the look after the first sanding activities

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

on the right side a fast check of the appearance after treatment with CLOU - the holes for the scuppers have to be still adjusted

IMG_2024.jpg

Maybe you recognized that in the drawing no fore gunport is shown, but in my model you can see it - it is no error here or there
-> I will try to discuss and explain this tomorrow

Many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued

Many Thanks for the replies @pianoforte and @oldflyer and also for the likes received

Maybe not interesting for some of you, but for everybody building the Granado model (scratch, Jotika, CAF etc.) or another bomb vessel of a similar type, the following could be of some interest

The foremost gunport, chase port - installation YES or NO ?!?!

Looking at contemporary drawings of the bomb vessel class we can find drawings with such port

Screenshot 2022-09-19 154927.png Screenshot 2022-09-19 155007.png

Screenshot 2022-09-19 155412.png Screenshot 2022-09-19 155508.png

and also without

Screenshot 2022-09-19 155537.png j1356.jpg

The Granado drawing is showing one

j0387 - Granado.jpg

When we stay with the NMM we know also the Leightly model

l5780_001a.jpg

which has not such a port

IMG_2435.jpg

When we take a closer look to the information given in Goodwins Anatomy book

IMG_2436.jpg IMG_2438.jpg

IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2445.jpg

There is such a chase gun port shown, but Goodwin added in the description of this gunport every time "if fitted"

BTW: this would be the gunport lid or better port cover - which is different to the normal lid at the cabin

IMG_2442.jpg

the normal gunport lids, better "port covers"

IMG_2443.jpg IMG_2444.jpg

Also the CAF-kit is leaving it open - the framing is prepared for such a cover

When we take a closer look at the history of the HMS Granado (taken from Threedecks)
Screenshot 2023-03-10 104207.png

we can see that she carried 1742 - 10 * 4-pounder guns
and changed the armament in 1756 to 8 * 4-pounder

when we take a closer look to her service history is getting clear

Screenshot 2023-03-10 104223.png

in 1742 the Granado was fitted and commissioned as a normal sloop with 10 guns - she served as a sloop until 1756
During this time the chase gunport was armed or possibly armed

in 1756 she was refitted and converted into a bomb vessel with tow mortars and only 8 guns
four years later1760 she was once more refitted as a sloop
and already one year later in 1761 once more refitted as a bomb vessel

Due to this changes, I am pretty sure, that these chase gunports were installed form the beginning, and left, but not used during her carreer as a bomb vessel. They could be also helpful during handling the anchors etc.

My Conclusion:
Based on these information, I decided for myself, that my Granado will get such ports
( one more nice detail which is interesting to see looking at the bow )

Many Thanks to everybody reading until the end ...... and many thanks for your interest in my build and my thoughts

And I promise, that my next post will show some sawdust and no theory ;)

Based on these information, I decided for myself, that my Granado will get such ports
( one more nice detail which is interesting to see looking at the bow )
Nice research and a good decision. These ports are also used to make it easier to lift the anchor. In the book of Marquard of the Vasa you see a drawing how the sailors hang out of that port to tie the ropes to the anchor to lift it further up.

Before I am able to close the deck of the after cabin I had to install some eyebolts and rings - blackened with "Ballistol"

Although the HMS Granado was not armed with enough guns, I am pretty sure, that in case of necessity there were some eyebolts prepared for the guntackles
If not they are some nice details as eyecatcher on the model ...... ;)

IMG_2202.jpg

IMG_2424.jpg

view through a gunport

IMG_2425.jpg

and also the hatch-covers received the ringbolts

IMG_2203.jpg

IMG_2204.jpg

IMG_2205.jpg

also the planking of the upper part is coming to an end ...... to be continued (hopefully tomorrow)

Many Thanks for your interest

Uwe,
as always so perfect....
BTW - how did you make those perfect square bits? did you just square off nail heads - I may have missed your technique.
I will need this when I work on the upcoming Viking ship - will leave many inside deck panels open, so will need to simulate those as well.

Your work is so encouragingGold Star

IMG_2203.jpg17 Viking Ship Field Trip Gokstad replica interior inside upper rib cleat knee cross piece str...jpg

Before I am able to close the deck of the after cabin I had to install some eyebolts and rings - blackened with "Ballistol"

Although the HMS Granado was not armed with enough guns, I am pretty sure, that in case of necessity there were some eyebolts prepared for the guntackles
If not they are some nice details as eyecatcher on the model ...... ;)

View attachment 362699

View attachment 362704

view through a gunport

View attachment 362706

and also the hatch-covers received the ringbolts

View attachment 362700

View attachment 362701

View attachment 362702

also the planking of the upper part is coming to an end ...... to be continued (hopefully tomorrow)

Many Thanks for your interest
wonderful work my friend Thumbsup :D

May I ask what is CLOU ? it is apparently some type of finish or oil ?
Post in thread 'ROYAL CAROLINE 1749 M: 1/48 by Jeronimo [COMPLETED BUILD]' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...8-by-jeronimo-completed-build.3178/post-75711

Jeronimo introduced it I think. It is something from Germany. It is used to sanding.

Uwe,
as always so perfect....
BTW - how did you make those perfect square bits? did you just square off nail heads - I may have missed your technique.
I will need this when I work on the upcoming Viking ship - will leave many inside deck panels open, so will need to simulate those as well.

Your work is so encouragingGold Star

View attachment 362728View attachment 362729
Hallo John alias @oldflyer

These square bolts are made simply with shoe tacks, which have a square shank

IMG-8386.jpg IMG_0377.jpg

in this topic you can find some description here:

first time I used them in my cross section model of the HMS Granado

IMG-8177.jpg IMG-8169.jpg

Back