HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

What exactly is in Amsterdam on September 30th?
This was also discussed in the german forum - The "Arbeitskreis" is think about with some members of the german forum to participate in the exhibition....

This was also discussed in the german forum - The "Arbeitskreis" is think about with some members of the german forum to participate in the exhibition....
Thanks Uwe, Amsterdam would be worth a trip. Unfortunately, my children have not been there yet, it would be something to think about.

Great work. I really like the way Clou brings out the rich color of the wood. I think I must have said this many times, but wish again we could get it here in the states. Super results Uwe!

Uwe, your planking has one small mistake, which you can fix really quick. All planks including the thick stuff (Barkholz) have at the rabbet the same thickness.
I do not like cherry wood but with Clou it's looking really nice. I have to check how I can combine this with the colors I normally use.

Many thanks to @Steef66 , @Tobias , @pianoforte , @RDN1954 , @shota70 , @dockattner , @Hoss6262 , @Nomad and, @AnobiumPunctatum for your kind words and the continuously interest in my building log
and all others also for the likes received - Many Thanks for the Interest

Uwe, your planking has one small mistake, which you can fix really quick. All planks including the thick stuff (Barkholz) have at the rabbet the same thickness.

Hallo Christian,
I am not so sure about your comment that the wale thickness was reduced at the bow, so that they planking including the thick stuff would fit into the rabbet.
I know that you have a big knowledge and a specilist in research, so therefore I have first doubts with my knowledge.

Let us take first a look at Goodwins plans and information in his Anatomy book

IMG_2440.jpg

IMG_2441a.jpg

we can see, that Goodwin is showing the wales thicker than the normal planking

IMG_2435.jpg

Independent of the technical correct way, I feel comfort knowing, that the step in thickness will be later on covered by the head rails and timbers

I was searching for photos of bows in the web and found f.e. the HMS Victory during a bow repair of the fore part of the wales

o7ap04shed151.jpg

here a photo showing the left side in old status and the right side shortly after the repair

Screenshot 2023-03-23 105832.png

Screenshot 2023-03-23 105747.png

Definitely we can see here a step in the thickness

also great modelers are not adjusting the thickness of the thick stuff at the bow

cedarcomparison.thumb.jpg.7809fdec08f77cab38415db10a421506.jpg

2_b.jpg
(no contemporary model)

I am asking myself now, if the shipwrights adjusted maybe the width of the rabbet in these areas where thick stuff

F.e. the Bonhomme Richard has no step from the normal planking towards the wales - here the planking was getting thicker and thicker up to the final thickness of the thick stuff?

IMG_42251.jpg

or something like this?

rabbet.png
in green normal planking and in red thick stuff

For me the biggest question:
Why would the shipwrights reduce the thickness of the thick stuff, because they are a crucial part of the structure taking over main parts of the forces working in such a hull - this would weaken the structure ......

Last edited:
Back to "business" - means back to the status of the model.

With finishing the upper outer planking of the hull, I also tried how it is looking when both "halfs" are fitting together - somehow to see, that I am still working on a ship model and not only on a deck-model

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Aft I realized, that one or two of the hanging knees installed at the upper half have to be a little bit adjusted, therefore the small gap at the aft part

IMG_2399.jpg

the view towards the stern

IMG_2398.jpg

and the other side with only the two wales installed

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2396.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

I am happy with the result

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

with some sanding blocks as distancers we can see the cutting lines of the two halfs

IMG_2401.jpg

the top of the lower part (top of the frames) has still to be corrected, to get a smooth curved line

Many Thanks for the interest in my building log ..... have all a nice weekend with enjoyable hours in the workshops .... to be continued

Hi Uwe,

I searched yesterday in my library where I found the information. I am sure that I have seen this also on a model. The examples of the historical models are showing your sketch, so I think that you're right and I have learned something new. Victory is so often rebuild, and details are so often changed, because they find mistakes in earlier reconstructions, that she is a not so good example.

Last edited:
Thanks Uwe, Amsterdam would be worth a trip. Unfortunately, my children have not been there yet, it would be something to think about.
That would be great, Uwe and Tobias. Frankfurt on May 13th is not possible for me.
Regards, Peter

Many Thanks to @AnobiumPunctatum , @Steef66 , @Mirek , @Dean62 , @Peter Voogt , @Nomad and @Lucian29 for the interest and kind words.
Many thanks for visting my log and the received likes - Highly appreciated

And also many thanks to @Steven B for posting the photos of his visit Of the Navy Academy Museum in Annapolis - Great models to see in this thread

Also in this exhibition is the Model No.34, a British Third Rate, 70-gun ship from appr. 1715. The speciality of this model is, that it is "separate into upper and lower halves, this rare "pull apart" model affords the observer an unobstructed view of the ship´s below-deck spaces"

570CA9CB-7F9D-42B9-9392-542C5541189D.jpeg

Now we know, how to describe such a cut

"PULL-APART" - model

in the web, I found also this photo

Naval Museum-A-AJ827-13.jpg

USNAMuseumModels2.jpg

Many Thanks to @AnobiumPunctatum , @Steef66 , @Mirek , @Dean62 , @Peter Voogt , @Nomad and @Lucian29 for the interest and kind words.
Many thanks for visting my log and the received likes - Highly appreciated

And also many thanks to @Steven B for posting the photos of his visit Of the Navy Academy Museum in Annapolis - Great models to see in this thread

Also in this exhibition is the Model No.34, a British Third Rate, 70-gun ship from appr. 1715. The speciality of this model is, that it is "separate into upper and lower halves, this rare "pull apart" model affords the observer an unobstructed view of the ship´s below-deck spaces"

View attachment 365780

Now we know, how to describe such a cut

"PULL-APART" - model

in the web, I found also this photo

View attachment 365781

View attachment 365783

Unfortunately, the problem is that you can't actually lean over and look into the lower hull, so all you see in this picture is deck beams. Perhaps you can see it better in person?

Unfortunately, the problem is that you can't actually lean over and look into the lower hull, so all you see in this picture is deck beams. Perhaps you can see it better in person?
Yes - you are right with this model of the 70-gunner
The modeler made the cut at the upper height of the wales, and with this the complete deck structure with beams and carlings is installed on top of the lower half and is hindering the view inside the hull
"Our" cut is at the lower end of the wales, means that the beams and carlings are installed at the upper half and left the lower half open to see directly the walls and interior

l5780_003.jpg

l5780_004.jpg

and also

20221202_185212.jpg

20221202_185221.jpg

Back