HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

Witaj wygląda super. Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello looks great. Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
In the last post you realized maybe, that I have also installed the missing part of the deck structure close to the stern

and I also closed the gap with the missing carlings

View attachment 345774

One side will be planked, outside and also inside - on the other side the structure, also from the stern will be visible

View attachment 345780

View attachment 345775

View attachment 345776

here you can see the hanging knees close to the stern - the upper part of the ship is laying here upside down
and now it is clear, why I was not able to install these knees before the big cut !

View attachment 345777

View attachment 345779

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued ....
my dear friend, excellent work, well done Thumbsup :)

Just catching up on your log Uwek. What wonderful results you've achieved! Great advertisement for those 2 little hand saws, although I think them being the the "right", steady hands had something to do with it. I'm still shaking my head in amazement at how you were able to achieve such a straight cut all along the hull. I'm sure you took your time.

On another note, I know I'm not quite 100% back yet as for a nano second, just a nano second, reading your post installing your handing knees, my mind thought, OMG he installed them upside down. :oops: ROTF But then I thought, it's UWEK, no way, so what am I seeing.....then realized you just had the entire deck upside down for illustration purposes.ROTF

Wonderful work!

To have a break during the partly boring pre-sanding, I decided to make also parallel the bolting of the frames.

I made the bolts in the for me usual method with copper nails - just thought about the new method introduced by Oliver, but I have not the patience in moment, so let us make the bolts "conventional" ..... with 50 nails per frame so in total also more than 2.000 "bolts"

View attachment 302678

also the single frames the chocks have to be fixed with bolts

View attachment 302679

Due to the fact, that I still do not know which parts I will plank on outside or inside, I decided to make the bolting of the frames everywhere

View attachment 302680

not really much is visible, but if you take a closer look - I know, that they are there - and we are building the models for ourself (and some interested modeling friends, like you all......

View attachment 302681

many Thanks for your interest .... to be continued .....
Bonjour, Quel type de clou utilisez vous (diamètre, longueur) , et a quelle diamètre avez percé les avant trou ? merci d'avance

Hello, What type of nail do you use (diameter, length), and what diameter did you drill the pilot holes? thank you in advance

Many Thanks to @Mirek , @shota70 , @Tobias , @Hoss6262 and @Cathber for the kind comments and all others for the given likes / thumb upps

What type of nail do you use (diameter, length), and what diameter did you drill the pilot holes?
usually the small copper nails have 0,6 or sometimes 0,7mm diameter - predrilling of pilotholes is a must, although the timber of this kit are very good and splintering is extremely unlikely. I pre-drill with 0,5mm, so that the nail is slightly pressed into the wood, therefore no glue necessary.

After finishing of the deck structure the next were the two smaller hatches and companion ways in the after cabin deck

IMG_1558.jpg

IMG_1556.jpg

Under this a ladder will be installed, so therefore I am not sure if the cover will stay, but defintely the two ringbolts have to be installed

IMG_1557.jpg

the same cover open and the bottom side visible

IMG_1559.jpg

The small hatch down to the breadroom - also here the eyelets will come later

IMG_1560.jpg

Many Thanks for the interest in my building log - to be continued

started also the deck-planking of the after cabin

This deck is inside, so no caulking necessary, but chamfered the edges to pronounce slightly the single boards.

IMG_1561.jpg

IMG_1562.jpg

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1645.jpg

IMG_1647.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

also on the other side I have to install some boards, so that the future cabin walls inside will have a base

IMG_1648.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest

Many Thanks @Herman and Paul alias @dockattner for your kind comments

I made this slight chamfering already some times on lower decks and also walls -> the small shadow produces more the impression of single boards. Especialy when there is no caulking. The upper Main deck will be "caulked" and a chamfering would be too much, especialy using paint to simulate caulking would get a big mess

The planking shown in my yesterdays post is fixed to the beams
a decision, if I will nail or treenail this planking is still open, maybe only immitated nails with only small dotts made by a scriber - but this decision can be done also in some days or maybe weeks

positiv with such a big cut: you can work on the deck or down in the hold - so a lot of work places
When something is getting boring, or decisions are not made -> no problem -> I will do something else

I am a big fan of chambering planks, like Paul mentioned, it is a great representation of individual planks. I know Uwe is a big fan too, he uses this method on past models as well.

BTW, your work is very accurate and looks very good!

After the yesterdays excurs about chamfering the boards, coming back to the progress on the Granado

I started to make the interior walls of the after cabins

Here the plan excerpt from the Anatomy book
IMG_1706.jpg

IMG_1707.jpg

and the interpretation prepared by CAF
IMG_1703.jpg

In the Anatomy book there are also some smaller sketches shoing these walls as casette walls - unfortunately I forgot to make a photos to show this "look", but I will catch up and post it on the next days

Now only for the beginning the clever way CAF is representing these kind of walls. Made out of three sandwhich elements, on which the outer parts are chamfered to get the look

IMG_1650.jpg

One of these main bulkhead wall contents all together 19 parts, with 8 casettes on each side

IMG_1651.jpg

a first impression how these walls are looking like

IMG_1652.jpg

A lot of sanding - and I made them by hand with a sanding block
- YES YES - this could be done also with a mill, but I was too lazy - and I had to pay for this decision

IMG_1654.jpg

at the end I was "clever" enough to sand down my finger also in the same angle
-> In all of my models is minimum one drop of my blood and sometimes more

Many Thanks for your interest ..... to be continued

In the Anatomy book there are also some smaller sketches shoing these walls as casette walls - unfortunately I forgot to make a photos to show this "look", but I will catch up and post it on the next days
As mentioned yesterday here the look of the walls shown by Goodwin in his Anatomy book

The cassetes are named here - "Recessed Panels"

IMG_1887.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

to everybody celebrating Christmas Eve -> MERRY CHRISTMAS

Stay Healthy and enjoy the time with your familys and friends

IMG_1654.jpg

at the end I was "clever" enough to sand down my finger also in the same angle
-> In all of my models is minimum one drop of my blood and sometimes more
Ouch.That must have hurt.

That elements on wall look very good and in my opinion you took the harder way, but it's good to show that machines aren't always necessary. I would definitely make it by milling(but I'm lazy;) :))

Back