HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

A really good source for information about the history of bomb vessels is
Chris Ware: "The Bomb Vessel: Shore Bombardment Ships of the Age of Sail"

a good Hint to the book
The Bomb Vessel - Shore Bombardment Ships of the Age of Sail
by Chris Ware

we have a detailed book review in our forum:

I decided also to paint the walls of the mortar boxes in red - but there will be not much more paint on my model - also once more only temporary installed with the mortars
and this time with a correct the shooting direction ;)
and still incorrect shooting angle :eek:

IMG_3204.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest .....

I decided also to paint the walls of the mortar boxes in red - but there will be not much more paint on my model - also once more only temporary installed with the mortars

View attachment 384385

View attachment 384386

View attachment 384387

View attachment 384388

View attachment 384389

The deck comes to life, Uwe. The red is very nice in contrast with the black mortars.
Regards, Peter

View attachment 384385

View attachment 384386

View attachment 384387

View attachment 384388

View attachment 384389

Good morning Uwek. I think the red Mortar walls are a good call- very effective . Cheers Grant

Many Many Thanks to @Kurt Konrath , @dockattner , @Steef66 , @RDN1954 , @Peter Voogt and @GrantTyler for the kind replies and all the likes received -
Mucho Gracias und Vielen Dank an Alle

Question, do you paint the innerside planking on port also red?

I do not think so in moment - I know, that all of the contemporary section models of bomb vessels have painted red inner planking, but .....
f2489_1.jpg l0277_002.jpg

also the well known Leightley model has painted ones

l5780_003a.jpg

The ‘bombs’, as they were known, were anchored off shore and employed in bombarding enemy coastal fortifications. But they did not participate in actions ship against ship. There normal armament was only for self defense, in the case the ship would be attact by f.e. gunboats.
And, if it is correct, that the walls were painted red not to see the blood of seamen during action - it was not necessary

and the main reason not painting -> I am afraid, that I make more mistakes and lower the quality of the model with a bad painting

I am also thinking about to colour the wales black - or not -> but here the painting would be easier to make

I guess you all know these questions during a project

to do or not to do ?

Many Many Thanks to @Kurt Konrath , @dockattner , @Steef66 , @RDN1954 , @Peter Voogt and @GrantTyler for the kind replies and all the likes received -
Mucho Gracias und Vielen Dank an Alle

I do not think so in moment - I know, that all of the contemporary section models of bomb vessels have painted red inner planking, but .....
View attachment 384854 View attachment 384855

also the well known Leightley model has painted ones

View attachment 384856

The ‘bombs’, as they were known, were anchored off shore and employed in bombarding enemy coastal fortifications. But they did not participate in actions ship against ship. There normal armament was only for self defense, in the case the ship would be attact by f.e. gunboats.
And, if it is correct, that the walls were painted red not to see the blood of seamen during action - it was not necessary

and the main reason not painting -> I am afraid, that I make more mistakes and lower the quality of the model with a bad painting

I am also thinking about to colour the wales black - or not -> but here the painting would be easier to make

I guess you all know these questions during a project

to do or not to do ?
The build group POF Bluenose, with its numerous build logs, shows a variety of finishes, with a variety of paints,nstains, etc.
Personally, while I originally thought the open side, with a stained finish, would be the eye catcher, I am now of the opinion both sides are equally beautiful, despite my paint job not being up to par.
I think, that when you apply some color to you model, it may enhance the beauty of your build.
Having said that: your shipyard, your decision.

I think, that when you apply some color to you model, it may enhance the beauty of your build.
Many Thanks for the point - I have to think about it
Problematic will be the inner planking under the forecastle which is already decked

IMG_2631.jpg
(older photo)

In the meantime I installed also the 8 ringbolts at the walls of the mortar boxes - they were used to turn the mortar into the correct position for firing. Later one two tackles have to be installed

IMG_3222.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log .....

Many Thanks for the point - I have to think about it
Problematic will be the inner planking under the forecastle which is already decked

View attachment 384948
(older photo)

In the meantime I installed also the 8 ringbolts at the walls of the mortar boxes - they were used to turn the mortar into the correct position for firing. Later one two tackles have to be installed

View attachment 384946

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log .....
The application of the pinkish red (or reddish pink) already illustrates that well chosen applications of paint do wonders to the appeal of your model.

An understatement! I would think that makes painting the bulwarks nearly impossible (practically speaking).

I share your questioning Uwe. I have yet to decide how much color I will have on my current project. Historically speaking, did admiralty style models have painted/tinted/colored bits?

Step by step I am sharing with you the opinion about the direction of the battens along the ship......
Sorry, but I am not able to find the final answer to this subject
and there is one more step to get the opinion

Lately I took a further look into Goodwins book and there is a second sketch showing the direction of the battens along the ship
So the two sketches made by Goodwin are showing it differently

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3220.jpg

seems that Goodwin did not take much care about these sketches and copied maybe one from another book ......

It is now like it is, but the next model .......

Sorry, but I am not able to find the final answer to this subject
and there is one more step to get the opinion

Lately I took a further look into Goodwins book and there is a second sketch showing the direction of the battens along the ship
So the two sketches made by Goodwin are showing it differently

View attachment 385339

View attachment 385340

seems that Goodwin did not take much care about these sketches and copied maybe one from another book ......

It is now like it is, but the next model .......
Wow, good afternoon.
Intrigue. Which picture is correct?

Good morning Uwe,
as is so often the case, your progress is no longer displayed in the construction log under the bell, but all of your other activities are. Anyway, then it's time to go through all the reports and lo and behold, Uwe is already 3 pages further.:D

I have to say what you get out of the kit is unique. Personally, I think yes to the question of whether you should make the whales black, but no to the idea of whether you should make the inner planking red, in my opinion the red is too strong and would probably overload the overall picture. However, here we are again at the point of the different tastes.
In any case, a great job and very nice processing.

Back