HMS GRANADO - full hull - POF kit by CAF in 1:48 - by Uwe

I've ordered my CAF Granado kit, and hope to start construction in about a month. I the meantime, I've purchased Goodwin's AotS Granado book and have been reading and studying it. Doing so has brought to light a number of questions in my mind, mostly to do with in-hull space utilization, which will affect what detail I am able to show there, and therefore (IMHO) the detail that Uwe and others building this model may/will want to know (so I hope I'm not high-jacking this thread):
  • Where is 1.1km of 105mm diameter anchor cable kept? (That's 120 fathoms x 5 ropes of 13" circumference cable. 2 attached to the anchors, 3 spare.) In addition there's 240 yards of 65mm diameter cable. I see a very small rope storage are 73 on the cross section, but no good way to get anchor ropes to it, so possibly it was for rigging?
  • Where would the mess table(s) and stools be located when used? The galley doesn't seem big enough.
  • Where would the 60 crew sleep? Or even half of them at a time? I realize an accompanying tender would carry additional supplies and crew, but 60 men sailed the ship, apparently for days or longer at a time.
  • Where would the Stream anchor be stored below deck? And could it be maneuvered there with its arm attached, or would it have to be removed?
  • Where would shot for the 4-pound guns (8-12 of them) be stored. I see no provision on-deck or below. Or the 12+ half-pound guns.
  • There is a bread room and galley with firehearth (at opposite ends of the vessel), but I see no food, provisions, water, flour, ale, etc. storage - no kegs or barrels or, really, room for them. Yet she sailed across oceans and was in service for many months. Mention is made the the Boatswain's storeroom was used for some items, and there's supposed to some storage under the deck at the fore, but I can't even find it on the drawings, so it is small. The two "hold" areas are decent size, but it seems like that's where the anchor ropes would have to go.
  • There really seems almost no room for ballast, except possibly below the shell rooms, without impeding the small amount of headroom in other "rooms".
  • While Goodwin shows storage space for 24 of each size bombs, that appears to be storage for once they were loaded with powder, prepared for battle. Provisioning information shows that at docking, 50 of each were placed on-board, and that probably would not used the shell rooms, as they were not loaded. Where were they placed? (BTW, the model portrays the probable arming of the ship with a 13" mortar and 10" howitzer (not a 10" mortar.)
  • Where were the 16 half-barrels of powder placed when provisioning? I wouldn't think they would all be kept in the filling room, but maybe.
It may be said that the Granado was only active during shelling, and needed no long-term provisioning, but it was in Channel service (as a bomb vessel) and other service for around a year at a time. And of course it crossed oceans during its career. Provisioning questions would no doubt still come up when she was converted to a sloop, with the mortar, howitzer and bomb structure removed, as she then had a larger crew of 110. The book mentions that those crew actually firing the bombs were Royal Artillery men, who stayed aboard the bomb tender vessel accompanying the Granado, but I don't know how many men those were, or if they were considered part of the 60 man Granado crew.

Last edited:
I've ordered my CAF Granado kit, and hope to start construction in about a month. I the meantime, I've purchased Goodwin's AotS Granado book and have been reading and studying it. Doing so has brought to light a number of questions in my mind, mostly to do with in-hull space utilization, which will affect what detail I am able to show there, and therefore (IMHO) the detail that Uwe and others building this model may/will want to know (so I hope I'm not high-jacking this thread):
  • Where is 1.1km of 105mm diameter anchor cable kept? (That's 120 fathoms x 5 ropes of 13" circumference cable. 2 attached to the anchors, 3 spare.) In addition there's 240 yards of 65mm diameter cable. I see a very small rope storage are 73 on the cross section, but no good way to get anchor ropes to it, so possibly it was for rigging?
  • Where would the mess table(s) and stools be located when used? The galley doesn't seem big enough.
  • Where would the 60 crew sleep? Or even half of them at a time? I realize an accompanying tender would carry additional supplies and crew, but 60 men sailed the ship, apparently for days or longer at a time.
  • Where would the Stream anchor be stored below deck? And could it be maneuvered there with its arm attached, or would it have to be removed?
  • Where would shot for the 4-pound guns (8-12 of them) be stored. I see no provision on-deck or below. Or the 12+ half-pound guns.
  • There is a bread room and galley with firehearth (at opposite ends of the vessel), but I see no food, provisions, water, flour, ale, etc. storage - no kegs or barrels or, really, room for them. Yet she sailed across oceans and was in service for many months. Mention is made the the Boatswain's storeroom was used for some items, and there's supposed to some storage under the deck at the fore, but I can't even find it on the drawings, so it is small. The two "hold" areas are decent size, but it seems like that's where the anchor ropes would have to go.
  • There really seems almost no room for ballast, except possibly below the shell rooms, without impeding the small amount of headroom in other "rooms".
  • While Goodwin shows storage space for 24 of each size bombs, that appears to be storage for once they were loaded with powder, prepared for battle. Provisioning information shows that at docking, 50 of each were placed on-board, and that probably would not used the shell rooms, as they were not loaded. Where were they placed? (BTW, the model portrays the probable arming of the ship with a 13" mortar and 10" howitzer (not a 10" mortar.)
  • Where were the 16 half-barrels of powder placed when provisioning? I wouldn't think they would all be kept in the filling room, but maybe.
It may be said that the Granado was only active during shelling, and needed no long-term provisioning, but it was in Channel service (as a bomb vessel) and other service for around a year at a time. And of course it crossed oceans during its career. Provisioning questions would no doubt still come up when she was converted to a sloop, with the mortar, howitzer and bomb structure removed, as she then had a larger crew of 110. The book mentions that those crew actually firing the bombs were Royal Artillery men, who stayed aboard the bomb tender vessel accompanying the Granado, but I don't know how many men those were, or if they were considered part of the 60 man Granado crew.
I was wondering the same thing. With the supports for the mortars and storage for the shells taking up so much room below deck there does not seem to be any space left for the crew to eat or sleep, let alone for all the other items mentioned in Signet's post.

I was wondering the same thing. With the supports for the mortars and storage for the shells taking up so much room below deck there does not seem to be any space left for the crew to eat or sleep, let alone for all the other items mentioned in Signet's post.
In addition (looking at the plans and such), I notice that the distance from the deck to the top rail on the forecastle is only about a foot. On the quarterdeck, it's about 2' max, going down to 1-1½'. Not exactly per OSHA standards. Sailors will be working on those decks - how do they not fall off? There's a rail at the end of the quarterdeck about 3' high protecting men from falling to the main deck, and top of wales on main deck are 3.5' or so, but man, that quarterdeck is dangerous. And a single tiller for the rudder? With no apparent means of locking it, for an ocean-going ship in 1742? And no binnacle or other such hardware nearby?

I hope Uwe and others realize that I am not condemning the model, just trying to understand what might be stored where, and what details could be shown, to add more below-and above-deck detail. I'm not great with treenails, so have to have something shiney to distract people from them. ;)

a lot of interesting points and questions, which we will try to discuss and hopefully partly answer with the time.
I suggest, that we move this research to the correct topic, so I kindly ask you to copy your post and post it there once more, and I am pretty sure, that we will find a lot of answers - hope this is ok for you?

a lot of interesting points and questions, which we will try to discuss and hopefully partly answer with the time.
I suggest, that we move this research to the correct topic, so I kindly ask you to copy your post and post it there once more, and I am pretty sure, that we will find a lot of answers - hope this is ok for you?

Of course. I've done that now. I'm very sorry for high-jacking your thread. Should I delete those posts of mine here, so as not to clutter the thread?

Of course. I've done that now. I'm very sorry for high-jacking your thread. Should I delete those posts of mine here, so as not to clutter the thread?
No no - you can highjack whenever you like
my idea is only, that some of these questions are interesting for more modelers, so they should stay with the history and information of the real ship and not in the cementry of a building log - in some weeks, the answers are forgotten

and I hope, that a lot of modelers will participate in this discussion
You can everytime, and I will also, make hints here, that there is something going on in the research topic

for everybody interested in some research about the Granado and bomb vessels in general, please take also a look into this topic

Going further with the interior walls

After fixing of the lighting box also the walls of the powder room and filing room with entrance door have to be prepared

IMG_4310.jpg

a first check
IMG_4344.jpg

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

with installed after bulkhead it is easier to finalize - also here visible in the background the wall separating the bread-room, with the only entrance via the window

IMG_4356.jpg

IMG_4358.jpg

Interesting was the fact, that the british ships needed a bread room, because they stored the bread all over the complete journey - we can not imagine how good such bread was tasting, when it was stored several months in such a room

The french ships had usually a bread oven on board - so they had every day their fresh baguette on the table
The french lost in Trafalgar, but definitely they had a better breakfast in the morning

IMG_4357.jpg

The filling room needed some lead or copper sheating - so I tried with some thin lead foil the coverage of the floor

a frist try

IMG_4359.jpg

several strips have to be laid - overlapped

IMG_4360.jpg

IMG_4373.jpg

IMG_4374.jpg

I am pretty sure, that they had at the time the ship was fitted not so big plates of lead, so I decided to make a patchwork quilt

IMG_4376.jpg

IMG_4377.jpg

Many Thanks for your interest in my building log .... to be continued ....

Witaj
Bardzo fajnie wyglądają te płyty ołowiowe ale w jakim celu były montowane czyżby skład na proch? . Pozdrawiam Mirek

Hello
These lead plates look very nice, but for what purpose were they assembled? Was it a powder composition? . Regards, Mirek

Last edited by a moderator:
The filling room needed some lead or copper sheating - so I tried with some thin lead foil the coverage of the floor

a frist try

View attachment 439849

View attachment 439850

View attachment 439851

View attachment 439852

I am pretty sure, that they had at the time the ship was fitted not so big plates of lead, so I decided to make a patchwork quilt

View attachment 439853

View attachment 439854

A very nice detail to include. And so nicely done!

a frist try

View attachment 439849

View attachment 439850

View attachment 439851

View attachment 439852

View attachment 439853

View attachment 439854

Nice details, Uwe: the patch work makes it realistic.
Regards, Peter

Back