HMS Medea (28) (1778) 1/48 scratch build

Masters Mate

Because I am butt joining the frames before laminating the two halves together I struggled to find a way to hold them in place under pressure. I finally settled on this idea. The base is a thick piece of perspex (acrylic) - over 1 cm thick - and tested for flat. I can only do a bit at a time with this sheet but if it is successful I will cut another smaller sheet so that I can do a whole frame with clamps over the edge.

If the Aquadhere sticks to the perspex I'll be in trouble but I doubt that it will.

The wood is my Silver Ash which I am finding brilliant to work. I just hope I will have enough after I build my wife's table top. :cool:

First_Frame.png

Masters Mate

I came across another problem with the frame plans on the blanks. I printed the frame plan on medium cardboard and cut out the shape, leaving about 5mm spare on the outside of the frame drawing. But when I went to glue it onto the frame timber I had trouble with it flexing and I could not be sure it was positioned right. So this is what I have done.

IMG_20200221_131103630.png
The whole page is printed and then the frame outline identified and highlighted.

IMG_20200221_132343140.png

The Frame blank is laid on my acrylic sheet and Elmer's Rubber Cement applied to the wood.

IMG_20200221_133734883_BURST000_COVER_TOP.png

The cardboard sheet is laid on quickly before the rubber cement dries and checked for alignment on my lightbox. The lightbox is actually my frosted glass garage window.

IMG_20200221_134035474.png

Next I cut out the plan roughly with scissors.

IMG_20200221_141958494.png

Off to my community workshop where I spend a few minutes on the bandsaw, bringing it down to within a mm or so of the desired size.

IMG_20200221_143158719.png

A quick sanding and then back home to finish off with hand tools.

This will be very old news for some more experienced SOS members and my methods are far from ideal or perfect, but I am new to scratch building and have to work a lot of this stuff out myself. That adds to the enjoyment (when things work) but some of my tips might help another new builder.

Uwek

Admin
Staff member
Administrative
Blandford Group Build

To find out the outside form of the frames will be more or less correct, but I think for the inside curve you should adjust
IMG_20200221_131103630.jpg
The area with the red arrows looks for me too thick, the green area looks correct

Here you have (scroll through) a lot of contemporary midship section drawings, so you get some impression, but maybe you will find also a good frigate section of the same period

BTW:There are two drawings of the Medea, which can be helpful for you
j8183.jpg j8184.jpg
and several others of the Enterprise class

Masters Mate

To find out the outside form of the frames will be more or less correct, but I think for the inside curve you should adjust
View attachment 134062
The area with the red arrows looks for me too thick, the green area looks correct

Here you have (scroll through) a lot of contemporary midship section drawings, so you get some impression, but maybe you will find also a good frigate section of the same period

BTW:There are two drawings of the Medea, which can be helpful for you
View attachment 134063 View attachment 134064
and several others of the Enterprise class
Thanks Uwe.
I was really guessing on the mid-way thickness. I should take more care to research. As you say, the outside dimensions are correct as they follow the lines of the plan. I'll have another look at the drawings and Medea/Enterprise plans I have and see what I can do. I appreciate your advice as always.