HMS Medea (28) (1778) 1/48 scratch build

A long time since I did a Medea update.

Here is the last full frame notch being cut.
IMG_20200711_142622530.png

The last cant frames before fairing. IMG_20200622_121522583.png

The frames dry fitted and faired.
IMG_20200711_154614441.png
IMG_20200711_154715971.png

I still have to decide if I will use the plywood bulkheads to fill the gaps. None of the interior will be visible after I lay the top deck so I might just finish off with ply now that I have had a good practice at making proper frames.

Last edited:
Continuing my intention to only use wood I grew and harvested off our old farm, this is the timber I hope to use for the planking.
This is Jacaranda mimosifolia, a South American tree widely planted in Eastern Australia as a street and homestead tree.
It's a soft wood which works well and is close grained. My samples have been air-curing for about 18 years.

IMG_20200621_152955018.png

I was able to get it down to 1/16" with the band saw so can cut planks from sheets like this.

While I was at it with this sample piece I cut a few strips which I think will work well for beams etc inside the hull.
IMG_20200622_115658469.png

I had a play today, testing whether my cheap mini lathe can handle metal. Turns out (pun) it can.
I made this brass gun barrel by eye, using needle files and sandpaper. Next time I'll use a template and get the dimensions right. Whether I try to make the 28 long guns plus carronades and swivels for Medea will probably get down to life expectancy....

IMG_20200714_154758524.png
IMG_20200714_154822548.png

Or you can do it the faster way??:
English cannon with decor
But with less fun..... ;)
....., using needle files and sandpaper. Next time I'll use a template and get the dimensions right. Whether I try to make the 28 long guns plus carronades and swivels for Medea will probably get down to life expectancy....
with the need of 28 guns which should have all the same dimensions - this will be very hard to achieve with files and sandpaper - we will see
-> and we cross all the fingers :cool:
BTW: the timber for the deck planking is looking very good

But with less fun..... ;)

with the need of 28 guns which should have all the same dimensions - this will be very hard to achieve with files and sandpaper - we will see
-> and we cross all the fingers :cool:
BTW: the timber for the deck planking is looking very good
Thanks Uwe. Just playing - developing skills. If I finish my model I will buy proper cannon to make it look good. I like the ones in the link JohnA put up.

Thanks Uwe. Just playing - developing skills. If I finish my model I will buy proper cannon to make it look good. I like the ones in the link JohnA put up.
Take also a look at this topic - could be an alternative - so I would contact once @SZKUTNIK directly via a PM

Take also a look at this topic - could be an alternative - so I would contact once @SZKUTNIK directly via a PM
Is Szkutnik actually selling all that nice stuff?

That was an awesome post LOL. I was in over my head with this first ship build. Bought the Midwest Dinghy (complete) and this very longboat (yet to begin) to build competencies and return to my ship build.
I'm glad you liked it. I've been away on holiday for a month but keen to get on with both builds ASAP. I did a bit more on the longboat while away so should have it completed soon (as far as I am going with it. As it will be stored on the deck of Medea I'm not going to fully rig it).

Finally got back to HMS Medea yesterday. I've used the jacaranda timber as per post #62 to brace the frames just below the lower deck level. It's a beautiful light wood to work.

All the main frames are now installed (except cant frames - that's next). I will use ply bulkheads between these frames.

You can’t have too many clamps, right?
IMG_20210105_145408110.jpg.png

Also preparing the false keel parts.

IMG_20210105_145327405.jpg.png

Last edited:
Can't believe it's over four months since I was able to upload images to my build log. I've had a right royal battle with my ISP over consistently low upload speed below .7 Mbps which causes even small image files to time out before upload is complete. Unfortunately we have bought into a community situation which controls our choice of ISP so we just have to keep fighting to get some improvement.

All that aside I'm going to have another attempt at gradually updating my log to the current position so hopefully you will have something more to see here soon.

לא מאמין שחלפו יותר מארבעה חודשים מאז שהצלחתי להעלות תמונות ליומן הבניין שלי. ניהלתי מאבק מלכותי נכון עם ספק האינטרנט שלי על מהירות העלאה נמוכה באופן עקבי מתחת ל -7 מגה-ביט לשנייה, מה שגורם אפילו לפסק זמן של קבצי תמונות קטנים לפני השלמת ההעלאה. למרבה הצער קנינו סיטואציה קהילתית השולטת בבחירת ספקית האינטרנט שלנו, ולכן עלינו רק להמשיך להילחם כדי להשיג שיפור.

מלבד זאת יהיה לי ניסיון נוסף לעדכן בהדרגה את היומן שלי למיקום הנוכחי, כך שאני מקווה שיהיה לך עוד משהו לראות כאן בקרוב.
well done, welcome back

Beginning updates to log:
Several months ago, completed last cant frame. Pinned together to assist with fitting, then tree nailed into place once glued.

IMG_20210203_151542322.jpg

Stern frames marked out.

Sorry.... Due to my rubbish internet provider my upload speed is down to 0.42 Mbps and images will not upload....
Truly, two tin cans joined together with a piece of string would be more efficient.

I'll try again in a day or two but frustration is taking hold......

Another wood from our old farm is cuttings from persimmon trees. Persimmon is from the genus Diospyros kaki, in the family Ebenaceae, and a number of non-persimmon species of the genus are grown for ebony timber.

Although my timber is not black it has many of the characteristics of ebony and that is why I chose it for the wales.

I chose a curved branch to reduce the amount of bending needed.

Persimmon_curved_branch.jpg

Cross section showing the close grain

Persimmon_cross_section.jpg

Rough wales as cut out on the band saw. They were then sanded to the correct thickness.

Persimmon_rough_wales_1.jpg

Back