HMS Mercury, 1:72, Shipyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

@Bonden Why not invite your girlfriend to join the SOS? Then we all have a chance to see her Victory build log. I think this is a great idea, what do you think? ;)
yes,they would get together with Olga

Last edited:
Hello friends,

today I will show you my last stage sail, which I show in wrapped condition. The next two are the sails over the jib boom, and and I will show these sails when they are set. I'm a little excited because I've never built anything like that.
So now some photos - as long as my sailing ship looks so beautiful ...
M1054.JPGM1055.JPGM1056.JPGM1057.JPGM1058.JPGM1059.JPGM1060.JPGM1061.JPGM1062.JPGM1063.JPG

Thank you! Thumbsup

I want to show the Mercury in a showcase later. It is said to float on "water" and be on the verge of a battle. The rear wall of the showcase will be a historical painting, showing an enemy ship (French or American - oh!) approaching the Mercury. So my ship sails under a sail customary for naval battles.
Let's see how I do it in the end. ;)

Beautiful work on your Mercury! Nice to see it nearing completion. I’ve been studying your build very closely as I build my HMS Enterprize, which is very similar, but mine is 1/97. I’m kind of wishing I bought the same kit you’re building. 1/97 scale can be a bit small and challenging.

Hello friends, today I will show my first set sail. And the next is in progress - I got it wet with diluted glue and formed it with many hot air (hairdryer - currently you are not allowed to drive to the sea where it is always so nice and windy :D )
M1069.JPGM1070.JPGM1071.JPGM1072.JPGM1073.JPG
And look: in my bathroom it is also maritime-historical. :cool:

M1074.JPG

Thank you, @Uwek
But there is a problem - gravity.
Because there is no wind, the sail is always pulled down. The bow remains, but the sail is not pushed out as nicely as it should be. In the
third picture the bow is only so beautiful because I blew hard against the sail while taking pictures.
Here I want to try spring steel wire. I hope the Google translation is so that you understand what I mean by spring steel wire ...:rolleyes:
I take this wire as a sheet rope and hope that it will be able to push the sail out far enough. I ordered the thin spring steel wire today. I will report.

Thank you, @Uwek
But there is a problem - gravity.
Because there is no wind, the sail is always pulled down. The bow remains, but the sail is not pushed out as nicely as it should be. In the
third picture the bow is only so beautiful because I blew hard against the sail while taking pictures.
Here I want to try spring steel wire. I hope the Google translation is so that you understand what I mean by spring steel wire ...:rolleyes:
I take this wire as a sheet rope and hope that it will be able to push the sail out far enough. I ordered the thin spring steel wire today. I will report.
As my Mercury is going to be a diorama also, I’m planning just the same. I’ll use thin wire tucked in with the bolt rope and sail to produce the fuller shape.

And here is sail No. 2:
M1083.JPGM1085.JPGM1088.JPG

And there is again the problem with the wind. On the left the calm, on the right the storm "Bonden". :D
But I'm going to experiment with the wire I mentioned earlier. And there was another good piece of advice: Reed writes in his book that you can also roop very thin copper wire and paint it afterwards. That sounds interesting too. I will report about it then.
M1089.jpg

As incredible as it sounds: I still have an overview of this apparent tangle of many ropes. :D
M1133.JPGM1134.JPGM1138.JPGM1141.JPGM1142.JPG

And here i show you, how the slab line works:
M1139.JPG
M1140.JPG
There are still a few ropes missing, and then I have to tie them all up. But we're getting there.
And, dear friends: What I'm doing here, I'm doing for the first time. So please look generously over the little mistakes you discover.

See you soon, greetings

Bonden

Back