HMS Mercury, 1:72, Shipyard [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ahoy dear ones,

thank you very much for your nice congratulations! How I would love to invite you all to serve you in my home bar. But since that's not possible, I'll drink to your health until the bar is empty. And you may console yourselves with some nice pictures.
M1434.jpgM1435.jpgM1436.jpgM1437.jpgM1438.jpgM1439.jpgM1440.jpgM1443.jpgM1444.jpgM1447.jpgM1451.jpgM1452.jpgM1454.jpgM1455.jpgM1457.jpgM1458.jpgM1459.jpgM1460.jpgM1461.jpgM1462.jpgM1463.jpgM1464.jpgM1465.jpgM1467.jpgM1469.jpg

Wow!!! Awesome!!! Incredible!!! You would never guess it's a paper model! Looks like the real McCoy! as good as, if not better, than a lot of wooden models!
Did the crew members come with the kit? If not, where did you get them?
How did you put the breeching lines on the gun carriages?

Once more thank you for the nice comments and likes!

Hi @11320 Titanic , the sailors on board were not included in the kit. Some are part of the d'Agostini company's kit of HMS Victory. They are in 1/86th scale, but that is not noticeable at that scale. Other figures I bought individually on the Internet. Then there is a figure set from the company HÄT, English sailors in 1:72.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to answer the question about the breeching lines (?). I know very little English, use the tool DeepL to translate and am not sure what exactly you want to know, sorry. But maybe someone from the users who know German as well as English can help me?

Once more thank you for the nice comments and likes!

Hi @11320 Titanic , the sailors on board were not included in the kit. Some are part of the d'Agostini company's kit of HMS Victory. They are in 1/86th scale, but that is not noticeable at that scale. Other figures I bought individually on the Internet. Then there is a figure set from the company HÄT, English sailors in 1:72.

Unfortunately, I do not know how to answer the question about the breeching lines (?). I know very little English, use the tool DeepL to translate and am not sure what exactly you want to know, sorry. But maybe someone from the users who know German as well as English can help me?
Breeching lines are the lines that secure the gun carriages to the bulkheads so they do not roll around the gun deck as the ship is underway. A loose gun, weighing several tons, is very dangerous on a rolling deck and hard and dangerous to get under control and secured. In english it is the source of the phrase, " a loose cannon" when referring to a hazradous situation....or persom, as in '"He's a loose cannon".
I have breeching lines on the guns on my USS Constitution, and was going to put them on the Alert, but how to do so on the Alert is a bit puzzling.
Your model is one of the finest I have ever seen.

@11320 Titanic
Ah, I think I know what you mean as "troot brail". That's what a book tells me, where the technical terms are translated from German into English. We call it "Brooktau".
On my homepage I have shown how I rigged the guns, look here: https://www.karton-im-wind.de/nicht-von-pappe-doch/hms-mercury/kanonen-kanonentakelkunde/
I untwisted the rope a little bit and put the back knob of the cannon through the single cardeels (strand?).
Does what my home page shows you help answer your question?

Yes, and thank you. I like the idea of untwisting the rope.
On my Constitution, my grand daughter picked up the hull with the gun deck guns in place, in firing position and shoved 7 guns into the hull. Working them back out and regluing them in their proper position was an awful and time consuming task. The breeching lines prevented that from becoming a total disaster.

Thank you for posting this project, Bonden. I have recently started reading the Aubrey-Maturin series and am loving it, and it was inevitable that my new found love of the age of sail would collide with my long-standing love of model making. I was digging through a range of options for a sixth-rate frigate of the late 18th century, and this kit was a front-runner. I was almost put off when I realised this was a cardboard kit, as I hadn't even realised some kits were card - I had been assuming wood up until then. Your wonderful build has convinced me that this kit can look phenomenal and tipped the scales on my hitting 'Buy Now'... I can't wait!

Wonderful stuff, thanks again.

Hello @StompyJones and @Peo600SEL ,
thank you for your nice comments. I hope to see the build reports from both of you here then. In any case, I wish you much success! Thumbsup
Hi Bonden,

Looking back through your build and at photos of the kit (I have to find something to occupy my time while I wait for my kit to arrive!), I notice that there is a blue decorative band all around the sheer strake that is shown in one of your pictures, but then after that it's just black. Did you simply decide you didn't like it, or was there an issue with the kit?

Hi Bonden,

Looking back through your build and at photos of the kit (I have to find something to occupy my time while I wait for my kit to arrive!), I notice that there is a blue decorative band all around the sheer strake that is shown in one of your pictures, but then after that it's just black. Did you simply decide you didn't like it, or was there an issue with the kit?
Hello and sorry - here is yes one more question to answer.
There are two reasons for the black stripe:
The part in the kit had to be cut out of relatively thin paper. When I then wanted to glue it on, the glue caused the paper to expand. That's why it didn't fit anymore.
The other reason is probably more important: These decorative strips can be seen a lot on the shipyard models of the time - I have seen many of them myself at the NMM in Greenwich. In reality, however, this was probably not the case. According to a Navy Board Order of 1715, ships of the line were to be painted black between the "rails" for cost reasons. Blue paint and frieze paintings were reserved for flagships only. By the way, this order was valid until 1780 and was apparently strictly observed.
And if you look at the HMS Surprise in THE film, you see a rather plain color scheme. :cool:

Greetings

Bonden

Back