HMS Ontario 1780 scale 1:32 POB full version

That is some serious wood jointing Zolly.My interpretation(which maybe wrongROTF) is that the scarphs are to reduce failure due to keel hogging.As the vessels keel can deflect this causes tension/compression on the deck structure which in turn puts planking fixings under sheer forces.This helps stiffen the structure and prevents failure of the fixings.This is quite common with English practice as you do not have binding strakes in the deck structure like ships from France.

Kind Regards

Nigel

And, additionally, the scarphs are there to avoid the sealing problems at the pointed tip of the plank where it would be impossible to seal.
Janos

...why not use black paper instead? In your scale, it will look great (IMHO)
Hello folks

So I did a trial using black paper for caulking on the deck planking and came out pretty good,the second image shows watered deck planks to bring out the real colors.

329EA815-4F71-418E-B92A-743FE2FFC015.jpegA112B447-7D27-4341-939F-5E0A5B47CDBA.jpeg

I like also using paper to imitate caulking - The positive thing is the fact, that both, the deck planks and also the paper are out of wood, so with using a good wooden glue, you can sand the surface easily -
Looking very good in my opinion Thumbs-Up

The black paper route looks good Zolly.I have done this before using black tissue paper.The important thing is to ensure the paper is well impregnated with glue to avoid it dragging or furring when you scrape or sand the deck;)

Kind Regards

Nigel
Thanks Nigel,I will experiment more with this method!

The deck clamp will be made up in two layers,what you see now at the bow is the lower layer,later I move on and install the rest of the lower layer,the upper layer will accept the deck beams and horizontal lodging knees .

Last edited:
Back