HMS Pandora - Modelship Dockyard - Build log

The planking looking good,just a question ,did you clean the laser char from the side of the planks?

I did it a bit hit and miss i fitted the first row with no sanding after that lightly sanded the edge that butted up to them until it seemed ok
With hindsight probably not the best way

Just wondering if you sand the char off it will throw off the measurments?? 0.1,0.2mm,if the planks were cut to exact measurments

Besides removing some tens (0.1) of the mm, I like to keep the char on the planks, It gives the natural caulking look representations. However, given the fact that the laser beam 'cut' the material at the angle, I would be very cautious using planks without shaping first. This obviously negates the curved sides, the planks normally require an angle in neighboring planks.

Besides removing some tens (0.1) of the mm, I like to keep the char on the planks, It gives the natural caulking look representations. However, given the fact that the laser beam 'cut' the material at the angle, I would be very cautious using planks without shaping first. This obviously negates the curved sides, the planks normally require an angle in neighboring planks.
regardless the caulking effect,I am worried abut the width of the plank after sanding

I only sand one edge of the plank to close up the taper a little and try to keep it uniform but lack of experience almost certainly means i will have to modify or make replacement planks when i get to the keel

It's funny: when you see planking done in the actual manner of the original ship, it looks wrong, uneven and back and forth, instead of long, tapered planks. So even though it is accurate, it is not what we (or at least I) are used to seeing. I'm sure it will be less noticeable after finish is applied. I love the look and size of this model, but don't think I have another full rig build in me.

It's funny: when you see planking done in the actual manner of the original ship, it looks wrong, uneven and back and forth, instead of long, tapered planks. So even though it is accurate, it is not what we (or at least I) are used to seeing. I'm sure it will be less noticeable after finish is applied. I love the look and size of this model, but don't think I have another full rig build in me.
I can relate. My current build presents the same plethora of problems. Just gotta take it slow... Little bites at a time and chew it over thoroughly.Cautious

Pete

Back