HMS Pegasus - by Amati [COMPLETED BUILD]

I managed to cut the rabbit without too many slips, thank goodness for filler. Installed the first four rows of the second planking starting at the top of the gun ports then trimmed the them and the sweep ports. Will continue working my way down tomorrow. From here on in it will be necessary to taper the first 6" of each plank at the bow down to about 1/2 their width at the stem. The stern will be OK for a while.Pegasus 025.jpgPegasus 024.jpgPegasus 026.jpg

It took a couple of days to do the second planking with walnut, and I only glued my fingers to the hull twice. My jury-rig to soak the planks is a 2" x 3' piece of PVC capped at one end. It's long enough to fully submerge the longest strips. I put in a dozen or so overnight and had no problem bending then around the bow. I was surprised how fast they dried. By the time I got to the stern a strip would be almost dry. As directed in Bob's practicum, I tapered the bow section of a strip from 6" to a width of half a plank at the butt end. Also tapered a few at the stern, but some planks still required some stealers. By the time the top rows met the bottom rows at the middle I had to do some patching but that will be out of sight under the copper plates. Time to get out the sanding block again. Pegasus 027.jpgPegasus 028.jpgPegasus 029.jpgPegasus 030.jpgPegasus 031.jpg

Completed sanding the hull and put on a coat of sanding sealer. I use Zinsser SealCoat on almost everything then lightly sand with a 600 grit wet/dry paper to stop the fuzz from showing up especially when putting on a color coat. Water based paint really raises the grain. To fix the waterline I mark one spot from the plans then use a self-leveling laser to show the rest of the line. I'll work on the inside bulkhead midships next. Sealer, sand, paint, then install the strips to keep the paint line crisp at the deck. Not steady enough anymore to hand paint without messing things up.Pegasus 032.jpg

Very good way to mark the waterline with the laser,
It is slightly looking too low, according the advertisement photos the waterline will go directly under the wales - but you know it much better
Unbenannt.JPG Unbenannt1.JPG

Very good way to mark the waterline with the laser,
It is slightly looking too low, according the advertisement photos the waterline will go directly under the wales - but you know it much better
View attachment 184212 View attachment 184213
Nice catch. When I shot the picture I was on the wrong side of the tape. Correction was made before things got out of hand. Thanks for the input. :)

Soaked and bent the wale planking and when dried removed and brushed on sealer then black paint. Installed the wale and touched up the paint.
Pegasus 033.jpgPegasus 034.jpg

Completed installing the inner bulkhead which was pre-painted to keep the deck line crisp. I made a jig to drill the holes for eye bolts as I intend to fully rig the cannons. I took a small drill chuck and attached it to the end of a chopstick with the bit set to a length that would not penetrate the outer hull and drilled all my holes while they were in reach.
Pegasus 035.jpgPegasus 036.jpgPegasus 037.jpg

Started working on the cannons. Sanded and sealed the parts before cutting them out. Will airbrush in red then punch out and assemble. Painted the wheels in black and set in the "wheel forest".
Pegasus 038.jpg

Looking good. How many stealers, dagger planks did you have to use ?
Not sure but mainly near the stern. Tried to keep the upper hull looking good. The lower was sort of patched as necessary because it will be covered with copper plate so I wasn't to worried how it looked. Planking is not my strong suit.

Not sure but mainly near the stern. Tried to keep the upper hull looking good. The lower was sort of patched as necessary because it will be covered with copper plate so I wasn't to worried how it looked. Planking is not my strong suit.
Yes Im still trying to figure out how to get the planks on with stealers but no daggers as I dont want to paint or cover the hull.

Added the trim and paint to exterior bulkhead. Still a VERY tiny strip to go along the top edge. Will tackle that later today along with gun port red that needs a touchup. Not sure I like the blue shade but that's what came in the Pegasus paint kit. When the filigree gets added it might tone it down a bit.
Pegasus 039.jpgPegasus 040.jpgPegasus 041.jpg

I found this method on YouTube and want to try it next time. Makes sense and might work for me. Took a while to get the idea straight in my head but looks good.
Yes, I’ve seen it. The principle is simple in practice not so much. The most important thing I keep forgetting is both the previous plank and the one to follow must reman loose just pinned or clamped in place in order for them both to be cut to fit. Also when working with kit planks of 4mm we don’t have the luxury of cutting 6 or 8mm planks to fit our problem areas. Many of these tutorials assume we have extra and wider planks available.

Yes, I’ve seen it. The principle is simple in practice not so much. The most important thing I keep forgetting is both the previous plank and the one to follow must reman loose just pinned or clamped in place in order for them both to be cut to fit. Also when working with kit planks of 4mm we don’t have the luxury of cutting 6 or 8mm planks to fit our problem areas. Many of these tutorials assume we have extra and wider planks available.
Guess I'll just to struggle on and try my best to keep a nice looking hull. Copper plates are a big help in that regard. Thanks for the info.

I need some ideas as to the etched brass filigree. I’ve seen some left plain some painted white and some a mix of brass and white. Anyone know what would be correct?

Well I've completed the starboard side copper plating and not to bad for a first try. Close-up photography really shows the places where I had a few hiccups. Need to go back and do some minor surgery. I display my models port side to so always start on the starboard side when it's a two sides evaluation. That allows a little practice before the I attempt the display side. Pegasus 042.jpgPegasus 043.jpgPegasus 044.jpgAs per Bob's compendium I added a batten to cover the edge of the plating. I like the idea but not the color. I used walnut stain and do not like the result. Maybe white, red, black, or occre would be more appropriate. Any ideas as to what it should be?

Back