HMS Prince - Amati 1:64 by Vince P. Original 1978 Version

Hi Vince,
I remember corresponding with you a few years ago on the other forum, and very happy to see you here. Keep up the great work.
Has this builder stopped. He is OK I hope. Being in healthcare myself (retired) I can tell you these folks are busting there tails for us, sometimes at the cost them their own families. Hope we hear good news soon.

Yes ,he s
Has this builder stopped. He is OK I hope. Being in healthcare myself (retired) I can tell you these folks are busting there tails for us, sometimes at the cost them their own families. Hope we hear good news soon.
Yes he said earlier that he is very busy at work

Hi Brian,
Thanks for checking. I am fine. I have been very busy with work and this COVID thing. Also, I have restarted an old hobby of repairing electronics devices such as computers etc. I reconstructed my electronics lab with new equipment. Because of this COVID pandemic, most if not all of the schools here have been closed forcing students to learn at home and computers are required. Many families can't afford computers and the schools are trying to provide them, but the supply is depleted. I am taking donations of old or broken computers and repairing those I can. I am re-distributing them to families in need. So far I have done dozens. This takes up what little free time I have, but I am still putting in a few hours here and there on my ship. I am about done with the first layer of planking which was a monumental task. I hope to post some photos soon.

Vince P. Ship-1

OK, I am back to working on my build. I just finished the first layer of planking which I have been doing for several months. This hull is huge and complicated. Because this model has three times the number of bulkheads as most kits, it took a whole lot of adjusting to get them square enough to plank. It is not perfect but pretty good. I have filled in some spots with filler to smooth it out in preparation for the second finish layer of planking which will be applied later on. I am going to mark and cut out all of the gun ports before doing anything else. It was necessary to place the base of the exposed main deck in order locate the exposed guns and align them with the run of the whole deck. It was necessary to cut the deck in half and remove the tabs along the sides in order to get it in place between the many bulkheads. The overhang of the upper decks made in impossible to fit the deck in one piece. Once the deck is planked the seam will be covered up.
My daughter has a commercial laser cutter and made me frames for all of the gun port cut outs. I used some to make a jig for marking them on the hull and then cutting them out later on.

VinceP Ship-1

pict0063.jpgpict0064.jpgpict0065.jpgpict0066.jpgpict0067.jpgpict0068.jpgpict0069.jpgpict0070.jpgpict0071.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Vince, I wonder to know the size of the model. Some one said that he envy you, and I too. Actually I have just bought the accessories set from the following link,
and the plan as well

are they the same package with you?

Many thanks Vince!

Yes, that is the exact accessory kit included in the original model I have. Amati only made one version of the kit. It is a monster, the hull is over 37 inches long without the bowsprit.

Yes, that is the exact accessory kit included in the original model I have. Amati only made one version of the kit. It is a monster, the hull is over 37 inches long without the bowsprit.
Thanks so much Vince! I was not sure about the size of the ship yet before your kind answer, even after I asked the Amati staff by calling them directly. It seemed that the ship model had been discontinued for a really long time and some of them could not answer correctly. After your reply, I am more certain about the size of the ship. Thanks again, I really like big ships.

Thanks so much Vince! I was not sure about the size of the ship yet before your kind answer, even after I asked the Amati staff by calling them directly. It seemed that the ship model had been discontinued for a really long time and some of them could not answer correctly. After your reply, I am more certain about the size of the ship. Thanks again, I really like big ships.
You are quite welcome Good luck. Feel free to pick my brain anytime. I will follow your log when you post it.
Vince

Vince, I have begun my journey with Amati's HMS Prince which I have been moving around since 1983 when I received it as a gift from my wife. I also purchased the Hobbyzone building board which has already proved itself valuable for alignment and safe storage. I have the keel cut and glued as well as all the cutouts on the 34 bulkheads... that took some time. I'm now ready for the next step as I was in search of the rest of the kit...fortunately I think I found everything in spite of it making about 20 moves during my Navy career. I was interested in one thing though... I saw on line another modeler actually made decks to go in the various cut outs and through the appropriate bulkheads. I saw that you put strips of wood along the various deck levels... then I got to thinking I was potentially missing those pieces. Can I surmise that they weren't part of the original kit and the other builder scratch built them... Thanks for the assist, Matt

Back