HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30 (Following the Maarten's RC)

QUESTION!
I am not sure about the destination of three groups of planks, depicted below. It is not 1st/2nd planking and it is not deck.
I could not find them in the part list (because it is still in poor condition)
Comments are appreciated.
IMG_0795.JPGIMG_0796-1.JPG

G'day Alex, I think you will find that the 55pcs 395x8x0.5 are the second planking for above the wales,

the 27pcs 225x8x0.5 are the planking for the top of the great cabin, be careful when you apply these as they are wider at one end than the other to allow for the narrowing of the cabin, start your planking in the middle and work out to each side,

the 5pcs 500x9.5x0.5 I am not sure what they are for, I still have mine and they have a Part No 79, ( it looks like 79 ) marked on the tape that holds them together,

hopes this helps you out,

best regards john,

61.jpg
The upper second planking only goes as high as this, this is another area you have to work out, though some have planked right up to the top rails in the instructions and pics it shows to leave it here and the top section the first planking that is, is covered with bog and rubbed back to a fine finish and the painted and the carvings sit on top of that.

I just followed the plans, but Maarten did it a differently, on the plans they taper these planks from three planks at the bow to two at the transom but Maarten took three planks all the way to the transom, but you will have to check his log if you want to do that as I think he also had to raise the area behind the cabin to do it,

Last edited:
The cabin roof planking,

74.jpg
the wood supplied is really nice, when I picked up the stack of wood I noticed it was narrower at one end, that is because the roof is also narrower at one end, so I planked out from the middle to the sides, making sure the the wide end of the plank went to the front, this pic and the next one show the planks clamped for drying.

75.jpg

QUESTION!
I am not sure about the destination of three groups of planks, depicted below. It is not 1st/2nd planking and it is not deck.
I could not find them in the part list (because it is still in poor condition)
Comments are appreciated.
View attachment 132531View attachment 132533
The 5 pieces are for covering the edges of the keel, bow and stern.

the 27pcs 225x8x0.5 are the planking for the top of the great cabin, be careful when you apply these as they are wider at one end than the other to allow for the narrowing of the cabin, start your planking in the middle and work out to each side,
Dear John (@neptune )
Yes, it was a VERY good comment about the different width!
The size of the roof is 400 sq.cm, here we have 500, so, it fits well.
Changes are included into the shared Parts List under #39 (as it is mentioned as #39 in the video).
Thank you!
BTW there is another #39, which is the 4x4mm wood for edges of the roof, they are on the picture below in the set
part 39.JPG

Last edited:
I think you will find that the 55pcs 395x8x0.5 are the second planking for above the wales,
Dear John (@neptune )
Good guess, I agree with you. They are for the space "above the wales".
But it is probably not all!
"Above the wales" uses 800 cm of planks, but I have 2200 cm of planks, so "above the wales" will use 37% of the material.
So, the Quest is on.
Hint: what shall I use inside bulwarks? John, I saw you used deck planks?

Hint: what shall I use inside bulwarks? John, I saw you used deck planks?

I'm not sure what you mean Alex, I only used the deck planks on the desk area's,

I'm not sure what you mean Alex, I only used the deck planks on the desk area's,
Sorry for being not clear, John!
Actually, my question splits into two sub-questions here:
- what did you do with the leftovers of the dark planks (55pcs 395x8x0.5 ) which you used above the wales?
- what planks did you use inside bulwarks?

Sorry for being not clear, John!
Actually, my question splits into two sub-questions here:
- what did you do with the leftovers of the dark planks (55pcs 395x8x0.5 ) which you used above the wales?
- what planks did you use inside bulwarks?

Hi Alex, I also used the dark planks they are the one's that are meant to be used,

Best regards John,

The front upper deck did not fit well to the shape, so, we had to remove some of the deck planking, change it's shape, plank again and change the shape of the hull as well. Now it is in the right shape and in the right place (aligned with the mast), not glued yet.

IMG_0808.JPGIMG_0807.JPGIMG_0809.JPG

Back