HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30 (Following the Maarten's RC)

G'day Alex, how much did you insert to the deck before the mast, and will you be moving the hatches forward,
Dear John, I am not sure I understood the question, but what I did is:
I moved the whole main deck (with its hatches, and two masts) 10mm to the aft. In my opinion, it is a "averaged" shift. In the idea case I needed to move the holes for the two masts away from each other as well, but I saved my efforts and let them be on the same positions regarding the main deck. Of course, after moving the deck backward I had to drill new holed in the frame below the deck, and the picture above is an illustration of the finding the new hole centers in the frame, with the vertical laser.

Open Q to masters:
Did you have any issues with LEDs?
My LEDs, when I connected them to the battery (3V):
- were bright in the first second and them got dimmed
- started to heat the wires pretty much.
It is very unusual. I checked the web: LED obeys the Ohm law, so no tricks

Last edited:
Alex,have you fitted appropriate inline resistors to suit the LEDs?Different colour Leds operate at different voltages and it is critical.See this guide;
If it is about the Ohm law, I know it from the school... :cool:
I ordered the 3V LEDs, so I do hope I do not need resisters...
But still I have a Q: why my red LEDs are overheated??? This I still do not know.

Hi
The voltage is not what a LED lights, it is the current.
Unless otherwise, the red LEDs work well with a voltage between 1.8v and 2.1v. If you are feeding the circuit with 3V, the diode will be operating at its maximum endurance.
If you want the red diodes to last with a 3v supply, you must add a resistance of 56 ohms. That will maintain the ideal 20mA current in the diode.

Regards

Unless otherwise, the red LEDs work well with a voltage between 1.8v and 2.1v.
Dear @carlosys ,
Aha! You think the red LEDs are for 2v? Hmmm. It might explain why they were overheated.
You could be right. At the same time:
- isn't it strange that the ship supplier provided me with 2V LEDs and 3V power unit?
- When I was ordering white LEDs now at Aliexpress they asked me the voltage I needed, and 3V were one of the option. Other options were 5V and 12V, not 2V.
OK, the only option is to buy exactly 3V red LEDs. I see no point in playing with resistors and in burning energy on them.
OK, I will do it.

OK, guys, I need HELP.
Neither the manual nor the video provide direct references to the part numbers, and sometimes it drives me crazy.
Does anyone has a translated (or at least e-version in Chinese) parts number list?
The manual itself also would be nice. I got one from @Maarten but it was incomplete.

Last edited:
Alex,have you fitted appropriate inline resistors to suit the LEDs?Different colour Leds operate at different voltages and it is critical.See this guide;
Dear Nigel (@NMBROOK ),
I checked the LED-explanation web page you provided. I feel that this knowledge might be outdated already. It claims that different colors have different voltage, but Aliexpress suggests this funny list (its clickable): Red/Green/Blue/RGB 3V 5V 12V.
I will investigate further (now on vacation in mountains, so I am limited in my resources)

Hi Alex
No,the link you gave is for prewired LEDs.Look at the heatshrink on the red wire.The resistor has already been fitted.The link I gave is for bare LEDS.Prewired is OK if you are using just a few.If you are using a lot or need the LED in a small space,developing a circuit with the resistor mounted away from the LED is sometimes the only option.You can then run several on the same circuit with just one resistor provided you have a high enough voltage supply.This is my preferred method on my RC builds.As an example the Diver support vessel I have been working on will have well over 100 LEDS when complete.

Kind Regards

Nigel

OK, guys, I need HELP.
Neither the manual nor the video provide direct references to the part numbers, and sometimes it drives me crazy.
Does anyone has a translated (or at least e-version in Chinese) parts number list?
The manual itself also would be nice. I got one from @Maarten but it was incomplete.
Hi Alex, I have the English parts list. I will scan it and send it tomorrow.

Dear @carlosys ,
Aha! You think the red LEDs are for 2v? Hmmm. It might explain why they were overheated.
You could be right. At the same time:
- isn't it strange that the ship supplier provided me with 2V LEDs and 3V power unit?
- When I was ordering white LEDs now at Aliexpress they asked me the voltage I needed, and 3V were one of the option. Other options were 5V and 12V, not 2V.
OK, the only option is to buy exactly 3V red LEDs. I see no point in playing with resistors and in burning energy on them.
OK, I will do it.

Hi
The following table shows the typical voltage of various kinds of LEDs.

Diode typeTypical potential difference (volts)
Low brightness red1.7 volts
High brightness red, high efficiency and low current1.9 volts
Orange and yellow2 volts
Green2.1 volts
Bright white, bright green and blue3.4 volts
Bright blue and specialized LED4.6

Most manufacturers recommend 10 mA for blue 430 nm diodes, 12 mA for types that run 3.4 volts and 20 mA for smaller voltage diodes.

It's unlikely that there are red Led powered at 3V except for special models such as intermittent ones

Regards

Back