HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30 (Following the Maarten's RC)

All the Best and Regards to your father - and off course a good journey - very good workmanship and we are looking forward to see his work asap

Hi Alex, yes it is a staircase to the lower room. It is situated below the upper stair case and acces is provided via a door in the rear cabin.

Dear @Maarten, too more questions:
- what is the right name of those LEDs with variable light output?
- what is the name of the lady who made ships out of paper?

Comments on golden paints.
Just to remind: my color scheme assumes painting the carvings with gold.
Therefore I made a research on golden paints for airbrush, and compared 4 of them. Here is the list, in order of quality, with comments:
1. Vallejo Liquid Gold, (alcohol based) (#791)
Very good color, already thinned to the airbrush quality.
2. Tamiya Gold (TS-21)
Very good color, you do not need an airbrush to use it, as it is the spray. It is easy but you waste a lot.
3. Revell Gold (#94)
Very good color, you can also use it with brush, but you have to dilute it (I did not try)
4, Humbrol Enamel Metal Gold (#16)
You also have to dilute it, I used the Humbrol Thinner. Quality is terrible. It is not gold, it is probably a "platinum". See the last picture. In general, I have a couple of other Humbrol metallic paints and they are not good at all.

So, I will use Vallejo Liquid Gold for my carvings.
IMG_20200324_104730.jpg
Here you can see the difference: Vallejo on the left, Humbrol on the right:
IMG_1421.JPG

Last edited:
Alex, I really enjoy following your build log. Especially the partnership you and your father have. You each bring different skill sets to the project, you with the project planning, problem solving, resolution and your father executing the efforts at a high skill level. When I see a picture of your Dad next to the model, I can see the pride. Actually, he looks like he could be my Dad's brother, my Dad being 86 yrs old. Together, you both will have a finished product that you can be proud of and have many family stories to tell.

Thanks for sharing, not just your build log, but you and your Dad's working together. KUDOS!!

Ken

Alex, I really enjoy following your build log. Especially the partnership you and your father have. You each bring different skill sets to the project, you with the project planning, problem solving, resolution and your father executing the efforts at a high skill level. When I see a picture of your Dad next to the model, I can see the pride. Actually, he looks like he could be my Dad's brother, my Dad being 86 yrs old. Together, you both will have a finished product that you can be proud of and have many family stories to tell.

Thanks for sharing, not just your build log, but you and your Dad's working together. KUDOS!!

Ken
Thank you, Ken. Yes, it is a nice team and we enjoy it as long as we can.

OK, the Old Master is back.
It took much longer than we have thought. First COVID, then the War (I was born in Ukraine, so I am deep in this war). Somehow my Dad managed to come, although his health is not improving. And, the first thing he did: he continued the work!
So, we are back again. IMG_20230121_182039_HDR.jpg

Back