HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

janos

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 2, 2013
Messages
577
Points
343

Location
Sydney
Fantastic job, Maarten!
At some stage I was also experimenting with Stockholm tar. The colour is great, and the end result is obviously most authentic, but I found two difficulties. One is that the finished rope is becoming very happily dusty in a short period of time and there is no way to remove the dust. The other is that however well the excess tar is removed from the rope, it still comes out in a liquid form if you put a knot onto the rope, either knotting is by itself or by another, connecting rope. This gives an unsightly finish - and the dusting effect is ever stronger.
I gave up using the Stockholm tar because of these reasons.
Janos
 
Last edited:

Maarten

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2017
Messages
1,239
Points
433

Location
The Netherlands
Hi gents,

Thx for the comments.

Janos did you also use siccative and oil in your stockholm tar? When I know stretch and twist the rope no fuild is getting out.
We'll see, maybe it is a once in a life time.
What do you use now?
 

Maarten

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2017
Messages
1,239
Points
433

Location
The Netherlands
Jumping back and forth over the deck of my RC O now started with the hatches and gratings.
First the gratings and these are build from lasered strips of pear. Which are fixed to each other at a 90 deg. angle like in every kit. I made a template for this to create a exact 90 deg grating by glueing some scrap strips on a piece of paper in which the gratings are fully enclosed.
After dry fitting a full grating I put these in the template and cover these with multiple layers of shellac to glue everything together.
20190408_161244.jpg
After drying of the gratings I drilled 0.6 mm holes in the joints and glued a brass pin in it to strengthen the construction.
20190412_174134.jpg
On the reverse side of the grating I removed the small pieces of wood between the strip running in the lenght of the hull, this as in the original construction the gratings are made from small beam along the width with planks in the lenght of the hull on top.
20190415_212017.jpg
Now it is time for sanding. On my belt sander I sand it down to nearly half the thickness.
As the grating is bigger the I also cut it to the correct dimension. You can now nicely see the subtile effect of the brass pins.
20190415_212010.jpg
Next step is the hatch coaming, made from lasered strips of walnut. As the hatches a slightly bollow I shaped these again on my belt sander.
20190415_211959.jpg
The grating I shaped accordingly by bending it after steaming.
Normally the hatch coaming is fixed to the deck with the grating loosely fitted in it providing acces to the deck below. As my battery case is below it I fixed the grating into the coaming and the coaming fits snug into the deck providing acces to my battery case.
When fitted this is not visible.
20190415_221008.jpg
And the result after oiling it crrating a nice contrast between the walnut, pear and brass.
20190415_222357.jpg
 

Maarten

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2017
Messages
1,239
Points
433

Location
The Netherlands
After a nice Easter week of travelling around Iceland I was finally back in the shipyard this evening. Today it was about oiling my deck beams etc. And creating the terracotta insulation for the chimney. For this I used terracotta coloured air drying modeling clay.
20190429_214831.jpg
20190429_215856.jpg
20190429_215931.jpg
The deck deam will be finally fitted in a later stage as first the anchor cable should be fitted in place while the acces is still easy.
Hopefully I have some more time this week to make some progress the I will fit the laterns to the fwd deckbeam.
 

Maarten

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2017
Messages
1,239
Points
433

Location
The Netherlands
Now the fore castle deck constructin is nearly finished it is time to finish the bullwark in and the outside. I removed the temporary top whale which is replaced by a carved whale later on.
20190502_193655.jpg
After that the top of the bullwark is trimmed to the correct height and shape.
20190502_200933.jpg
On the inside the eye bolts for the guns carriages are fitted, for the gun tackles 2 smaller eye bolts will be fitted next time as will be the eye bolt rings. The eye bolts are steel which I burnished black/blue rusty.
20190502_211153.jpg
20190502_211224.jpg
See you next time.
 
Top