HMS Royal Caroline kit ZHL 1/30

Hallo Maarten,
which stuff you use for the blackening? And maybe a short description which working steps to blacken you make? Really good result!!

Hi Uwe,

I use Ballistol Nerofor for brass.
Nerofor-copy.jpg

For Iron I use Ballistol Schnellbrunierung
Klever-bruineermiddel-copy.jpg

First I sand the items with sand paper or steelwool.
Then degreasing with Ballistol kalt entvetter.
Robla-koudontvetter-copy.jpg

Depending on the parts they need 5 to 15 minutes with every now and then stirring with a brush until they are black all around.
After that flushing in water and cleaning with a cloth

I buy it here in the Netherlands online

but checked it and they also have a US site.

Looks like in the US they dont have the burnishing fluids.

I know most people in the US use Casey Brass Black.

Hi Uwe,

I use Ballistol Nerofor for brass.
View attachment 148907

For Iron I use Ballistol Schnellbrunierung
View attachment 148909

First I sand the items with sand paper or steelwool.
Then degreasing with Ballistol kalt entvetter.
View attachment 148910

Depending on the parts they need 5 to 15 minutes with every now and then stirring with a brush until they are black all around.
After that flushing in water and cleaning with a cloth
Many Thanks for the information - I will give these products a try...... I need better results (used until now Krick)

Today a small update. At Action I recently have found a set of letters of 5mm for burning. I used these for burning the waterline marks. The 5 mm is for my model 15cm in reality which seems to fit.
On a Dutch 17th century shipwreck of a pinas which you can visit for free in the port of Den Helder Netherlands I have noticed to ways of showing these waterlines.
On the PS side like this.
20190727_125606.jpg
The V on its side with dots for the 1, the bottom of the V is the waterline.
On the SB side of the same wreck the normal roman numirals.
20190727_125730.jpg
Why there is a 4 at the bottom I dont know, ot seems to be at the height of IV feet.

These are the numbers I am using, I have sanded these back to the outer contours of the letters.
20200504_172016.jpg

Then heating above a flame as they did not fit into my solder iron. Stil some fine tuning needed on the heating proces.
20200504_181902.jpg
And on the on the PS stem.
20200506_211731.jpg

I have also added all bolts for the stem and beakhead construction.
20200506_211711.jpg

Mast rings? For these I have thin copper strips.

I have those as well Maarten, this piece was just just laid on the board and sealed in with the plastic cover along with everything else, maybe it was put in by mistake,

best regards john.

Today a small update. At Action I recently have found a set of letters of 5mm for burning. I used these for burning the waterline marks. The 5 mm is for my model 15cm in reality which seems to fit.
On a Dutch 17th century shipwreck of a pinas which you can visit for free in the port of Den Helder Netherlands I have noticed to ways of showing these waterlines.
On the PS side like this.
View attachment 149441
The V on its side with dots for the 1, the bottom of the V is the waterline.
On the SB side of the same wreck the normal roman numirals.
View attachment 149445
Why there is a 4 at the bottom I dont know, ot seems to be at the height of IV feet.

These are the numbers I am using, I have sanded these back to the outer contours of the letters.
View attachment 149452

Then heating above a flame as they did not fit into my solder iron. Stil some fine tuning needed on the heating proces.
View attachment 149457
And on the on the PS stem.
View attachment 149465

I have also added all bolts for the stem and beakhead construction.
View attachment 149468
To "burn" the model !!! How hard was really to make this step? Because making a step like this is definitely not reversible !!!! Looking very good

Interesting Maarten,I had been considering how to depict draft markings on Saint Philippe and had considered this approach amongst others.This is a detail omitted by many modellers but is easily visible in the scales we are both working to.I also have to contend with a "bronze" insert underlining each set of numerals on Saint Philippe.
I have decided to address these details later because I want to consider all options but it is reassuring to know you can actually buy such things as the numerals for Pyrography.I have done a brief search on Google to find a mass of things available for a whole other hobby in it's own right.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back