HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Ahh... that explains it. So.. did you raid your wife's sewing supplies for rigging thread?
I haven’t got to rigging yet. I have left over kit thread and blocks from my Xebec and Victory. I also have some of the good stuff from Dry dock models (not enough tho) so the Admirals sewing kit may be safe :D . Cheers Grant

It's a pavise (crossbowman's shield) or an old style Norman kite shield. Being a medieval armourer myself, I have a background that helps identify many of the items which appear more vague. I'm still trying to identify this rod with a loop at the end. McKay interpreted the loop as a snake, but he didn't look at the engraving close enough. The closest thing which comes to mind is a man-catcher, a rather strange are rare battle weapon. Or, it could be simply the mouthpiece end of the horn. Come to think of it, that might be what it is, accounting for how off position most of the parts are relative to one another in Payne's engraving.
View attachment 467864

Many of the weapon poles disappear behind the shield and have no end protruding from the other side to give a clue as to what they are, spear, staff, polearm, whatever.
View attachment 467865

It took me a while to realize that the looped tubular items next to the horns were part of the horns.
View attachment 467867 View attachment 467866

Placement of each item in this assembly has to be done carefully to avoid one thing clipping through another, something a wood carver didn't have to worry about making the opriginal carving. So far:
View attachment 467868

Remember... this object will only be this big when printed, so the detail is far in excess of what's necessary.
View attachment 467869
Considering the scale, that is an unbelievable amount of detail. If one were to try hand-carving these, they would invariably have to simplify the profusion of items behind shields. I am watching all of this with great fascination. Bravo, Kurt!

Can anyone speculate on what this thing might be? There's an object behind the horn instrument. It's the final piece that needs to be made for this panel. I could just make an approximation of the shapes, but it would be better to know what it is trying to represent.
1725561132419.png

Hello, everyone. I am also really intrigued by the kit bashing of the DeAgostini SOS. I have always dreamt of building her and finally managed to secure the other half of the issues that I needed. I got half of the issues from a friend who knows nothing about ship building, and hunted for months to get these (had to have it delivered to my brother in Southampton because the suppliers do not ship to South Africa.) I have the privilege of living in Mosselbay, South Africa, and have the Model Shipyard as a resource literally on my doorstep, but would very happily seek advice on getting the model to look more or less ok.
But first, I need to complete the HMS Victory in Constructo 1:96.
Looking forward to engage and learn from you all.

It's looking like the other parts of the trombone.
I interpreted the stick object beneath the mystery piece to be the mouthpiece of the trombone or trumpet, but if the mystery piece is the mouthpiece for the instrument, then the flat area of that part could be a banner hanging from the mouthpiece. Very difficult to tell what the engraver was portraying here.

Hello, everyone. I am also really intrigued by the kit bashing of the DeAgostini SOS. I have always dreamt of building her and finally managed to secure the other half of the issues that I needed. I got half of the issues from a friend who knows nothing about ship building, and hunted for months to get these (had to have it delivered to my brother in Southampton because the suppliers do not ship to South Africa.) I have the privilege of living in Mosselbay, South Africa, and have the Model Shipyard as a resource literally on my doorstep, but would very happily seek advice on getting the model to look more or less ok.
But first, I need to complete the HMS Victory in Constructo 1:96.
Looking forward to engage and learn from you all.
I have lots of mixed unused parts from my DeAgostini build, so if you are looking for a specific part, send me the part number and I'll see if it is an available spare. When you kit bash, lots of kit parts get replaced and go unused. All the parts were removed from the packages, but they are all numbered so they are easily identified.

Back