HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Probably this has been asked before, but how do you prevent damages to all your guns while preparing (filing, sanding, repeat) your hull for paint?
Me not being clumsy and breaking them off with fast hand movements. I will work around them. There was no alternative method if I wanted complete and rigged gun carriages on all decks.

There aren't any examples of the stem structure that I have found for early 17th century ships. I took examples from two other model sources. Which one appears to be the most accurate for 1635? Anyone have information on this? It is tempting to use a late 17th or 18th century example, but many elements of early 17th century designs were so different that I fear to use them. My book sources are from too late a period to be of any help, and there are no clues in Payne's engraving or Willem van de Veldt's drawings. Before I go cutting a virgin piece of beechwood, it would be nice to have a better guess as to the stem structure. Here are some of the options I found so far:

Not all lines are drawn yet, and the diagonal timbers are similar to those I used on La Couronne.
1051 Potential Stem Design 1.jpg

Another modeler came up with this pattern. Not sure about the top timbers but the lower ones seem logical.
1052 Potential Stem Design 2.jpg

This seems too late in time period for the Sovereign. Am I wrong?
Stem from Hardwood.jpg

No work on the ship recently because it was time to take vacation, so a friend and I drove to Wyoming and hiked/climbed Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Mountains. It was 12,006' at the top and the last half mile was climbing over huge rocks and boulders. We parked the truck at Gap Lakes Trailhead and started hiking. The hike was the hardest we have ever done, but I didn't need any oxygen, so my recovery from Covid appears to be complete. The weather was perfect. From where we were staying in Hot Springs, South Dakota, we drove 4.5 hours, hiked up and down the peak, then drove back. Long day!

1661039180637.png

Starting point east of Sugarloaf Mountain looking west
IMG_1381.JPG

Me at the summit
IMG_6809.JPG

The last half mile of rocks we had to climb over to get there
JWSB6838.JPG

The reason for going there - look at that view! That's Sugarloaf Mountain to the east.
BPDJ5939.JPG

My hiking buddy Matt resting at the top.
IMG_1438.JPG

I'd say that's enough adventure for a while. Back to work... gotta cut hardwood for the stem and keel...

No work on the ship recently because it was time to take vacation, so a friend and I drove to Wyoming and hiked/climbed Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Mountains. It was 12,006' at the top and the last half mile was climbing over huge rocks and boulders. We parked the truck at Gap Lakes Trailhead and started hiking. The hike was the hardest we have ever done, but I didn't need any oxygen, so my recovery from Covid appears to be complete. The weather was perfect. From where we were staying in Hot Springs, South Dakota, we drove 4.5 hours, hiked up and down the peak, then drove back. Long day!

View attachment 324514

Starting point east of Sugarloaf Mountain looking west
View attachment 324513

Me at the summit
View attachment 324515

The last half mile of rocks we had to climb over to get there
View attachment 324516

The reason for going there - look at that view! That's Sugarloaf Mountain to the east.
View attachment 324517

My hiking buddy Matt resting at the top.
View attachment 324518

I'd say that's enough adventure for a while. Back to work... gotta cut hardwood for the stem and keel...
That would be a terribly long day! I’m not sure I could make it up there and back in one day any more. The last time I climbed to Half Dome in Yosemite just about did me in. And that was 40 years ago when I was still a combat aircraft crew member.

Back