HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

No work on the ship recently because it was time to take vacation, so a friend and I drove to Wyoming and hiked/climbed Medicine Bow Peak in the Snowy Mountains. It was 12,006' at the top and the last half mile was climbing over huge rocks and boulders. We parked the truck at Gap Lakes Trailhead and started hiking. The hike was the hardest we have ever done, but I didn't need any oxygen, so my recovery from Covid appears to be complete. The weather was perfect. From where we were staying in Hot Springs, South Dakota, we drove 4.5 hours, hiked up and down the peak, then drove back. Long day!

View attachment 324514

Starting point east of Sugarloaf Mountain looking west
View attachment 324513

Me at the summit
View attachment 324515

The last half mile of rocks we had to climb over to get there
View attachment 324516

The reason for going there - look at that view! That's Sugarloaf Mountain to the east.
View attachment 324517

My hiking buddy Matt resting at the top.
View attachment 324518

I'd say that's enough adventure for a while. Back to work... gotta cut hardwood for the stem and keel...
Way out of my comfort zone, being afraid of heights...
Nonetheless, breathtaking views.

FINALLY some progress! I replicated the stem and part of the keel in maple wood today. Many of the parts in the assembly were individually cut and fit, but some of the scarf joints are just scribed with a razor knife and filled with pencil graphite, and you can't see much of a difference. I did not make the cuts for the gammoning yet, and the cuts for the beakhead supports will not be made, but were just marked for reference. There is a small step in the kee to accept the false keel. I will use vertical scarf joints for the rest of the keel, being simulated again with knife cuts to keep it strong.

1053 Kit Parts vs Stem Made from Maple.jpg

1054 Partial Construction of  Stem & Keel Made from Maple.jpg

some of the scarf joints are just scribed with a razor knife and filled with pencil graphite, and you can't see much of a difference
Thank you. You're my saviour. I don't have time and skill for making them as individual parts, this is just an excellent solution

Because I wanted the timbers’ grains to go in different directions, I covered the keel, stem, and stern with strips of walnut veneer. Each had its own grain direction which would be important for strength on a real ship. I don’t know if that would make it too thick on your model, Kurt.

Awesome Kurt! But does it fit the ship?
I'm working on that part. It's very close, but not quite seamless... YET. The trough that it fits in between the edges of the planks requires careful filing to wide it first. I started on that, but the fitting is not there yet. I want to drill many 1mm holes through the keel into the plywood false keel and insert brass wire to serve as pins for reinforcement, since the model will be places into a keel vice later, and the heavy weight of the hull with all that extra wood inside could help snap off the keel if bumped. The ends of the pins will be covered by the false keel strip later on.

Last edited:
Because I wanted the timbers’ grains to go in different directions, I covered the keel, stem, and stern with strips of walnut veneer. Each had its own grain direction which would be important for strength on a real ship. I don’t know if that would make it too thick on your model, Kurt.
Using veneers how I did the stem on my last model, and it looks fine. At that time I didn't know all the parts of a stem, like the stempost, stemson (internal), keelson (internal), apron (internal), and gripe, which are typical parts of the stem assembly on 18th century English ships. Internal parts are not represented on my model and not visible externally anyway. (Even I have limits). I don't have any examples of early 17th century stem timber arrangements, and it is known that most of them for all ships were unique, with only a few styles common in the 18th and 19th centuries, from what I can gather from my limited sources. Basically, the stem on my ship was a near copy of another modeler's style. The basic parts are there, the stem, and gripe, and the parts of the beakhead support attached to them.

Example from a 19th century clipper ship
1661377220958.png

Last edited:
In a vain attempt distract everyone from DocKattner's thread, more work was performed on the keel of the Sovereign. The rest of the keel parts were cut from hard maple. The false keel they will be joined to needed to be filed straight, and space between the plank edges on either side needed to be files to widen the gap, and the keel parts now fit with a press fit. Scarf joints were cut by eye using the desktop bandsaw, then parts filed and sanded to fit by hand. I'm not a CNC machine, but they fit well enough, plus the keel will be painted greyish white anyhow, so the wood grain and joints will be hidden anyway. I just wanted some scarf practice because it's fun. All the parts are test fitted but not yet secured to the hull.

Since my beloved Samsung Galaxy 5 Sport cell phone went through the wash machine last week, I have to use an iPhone to take pictures. The pictures are a tad better, but using that phone to transfer files is a pain.

Masking tape holds the loose stem parts together.
1055 Fitting Stem to Hull.JPG

The edge of this file did a good job evening the false heel and widening the slot into which the keel will fit.
1056 Widening and Fairing False Keel to fit Keel Parts.JPG

Scarf joints are rough cut by eye using a bandsaw, then filed to fit.
1057 Scarf Joints for Keel Sections.JPG

The forward keel scarf joint behind the stem assembly.
1058 Keel Scarf Joint.JPG

The deadwood nearest the keel needed thinning and shaping to get it close to the width of the keel.
1059 Trimming Deadwood to Fit Keel Width.JPG

I'm glad the keel actually came out straight.
1060 Test Fit Keel Sections.JPG

1061 Test Fit Stem & Keel.JPG

The keel looks good. The sternpost is next.
1062 Progress So Far.JPG

And here's a gratuitous kraken attack...
1661656247677.png

The stem and keel assembly was glued together and installed on the hull. Areas that will not be painted later were stained with gunstock color (red brown) Minwax stain and then oiled with Danish Oil.

Began gluing the stem parts together.
1063 Stain and Begin Assembling the Stem.JPG

1064 Wait for Stem Assembly to Dry.JPG

Pins were made from 1.05mm brass wire.
1065 Make Pins from Brass Wire.JPG

Several holes were drilled though the hard maple keel and into the plywood beneath. CA glue was used to glue all the pins in place. All the pin ends will be beneath the false keel so they won't be visible.
1066 Pin Keel to False Keel with Brass Wire Pins.JPG

The stem assembly was glued to the bow, and the keel segments were glued to the hull all the way to the sternpost.
1067 Glue Stem Assembly to Hull.JPG

The false keel was cut from maple and glued to the keel. Masking tape holds the strip in place until it dries.
1068 Glue False Keel Strip to Keel..JPG

View of the keel assembly from the stern. The electronics in the hull will be covered over with final planking, leaving only the plug hole and the switch paddle exposed later in the build.
1069 View from Stern.JPG

Progress so far. When the keel is dry and solid, the model can be held in a multi-positioning keel vise which will help greatly when working on the topmost decks and rigging.
1070 Progress So Far.JPG

The stem and keel assembly was glued together and installed on the hull. Areas that will not be painted later were stained with gunstock color (red brown) Minwax stain and then oiled with Danish Oil.

Began gluing the stem parts together.
View attachment 325883

View attachment 325884

Pins were made from 1.05mm brass wire.
View attachment 325885

Several holes were drilled though the hard maple keel and into the plywood beneath. CA glue was used to glue all the pins in place. All the pin ends will be beneath the false keel so they won't be visible.
View attachment 325886

The stem assembly was glued to the bow, and the keel segments were glued to the hull all the way to the sternpost.
View attachment 325887

The false keel was cut from maple and glued to the keel. Masking tape holds the strip in place until it dries.
View attachment 325888

View of the keel assembly from the stern. The electronics in the hull will be covered over with final planking, leaving only the plug hole and the switch paddle exposed later in the build.
View attachment 325889

Progress so far. When the keel is dry and solid, the model can be held in a multi-positioning keel vise which will help greatly when working on the topmost decks and rigging.
View attachment 325890
Good morning Kurt. Great posts and the stem work is kraken good....you started ROTF The scarf joint and the “faux” one are awesome. Cheers Grant

Good morning Kurt. Great posts and the stem work is kraken good....you started ROTF The scarf joint and the “faux” one are awesome. Cheers Grant
Well, I made a small mistake on the keel. It's supposed to extend rearward to the end of the sternpost, and it was cut too short. Oops. Cautious I made an extension with maple wood and, with any luck, the paint will fully hide the seam. The plywood center frame of the model at the stern protrudes too far back, and needs to be trimmed to make room for the sternpost. I will have to carefully cut off 3mm along transom using a coping saw and sand the area to make it as straight as possible, then attach the sternpost. The fix should turn out okay.

Back