HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Yes Get well, I had a 13 day hospital stay with my bout of Covid... Kurt, I have the Sergal kit circa 1990's do you know the scale of the Amati decorations set? Would it fit the Sergal kit or close... The Sergal kit is supposed to be 1:78 but I have seen somewhere that they are both (Amati and Sergal closer to 1:80)?

Yes Get well, I had a 13 day hospital stay with my bout of Covid... Kurt, I have the Sergal kit circa 1990's do you know the scale of the Amati decorations set? Would it fit the Sergal kit or close... The Sergal kit is supposed to be 1:78 but I have seen somewhere that they are both (Amati and Sergal closer to 1:80)?
Ugh. I feel like hammered shit. Sick

The scale of the Amati HMS SotS decorations set I have is said to be 1:64 according to the Amati ship's blueprints that I also have, too large to be able to use on the DeAgostini model, which is 1:84. The decorations between the kits appear to have a noticeable size difference of approximately 10% as well. It's such a shame that no kit's decoration set is even close to correct for most of the decorations in the actual ship. This is a real issue with me because I cannot carve, and will have to tool up for rotary carving in order to begin training myself. If I had the ability to manufacture accurate decorations for sale, either cast metal like Corel does, or wood like the Chinese do, I'd be rich because no one would settle for anything less.

Last edited:
Do you have an O2 checker? the one that goes on your finger? My O2 was super low by the time I went back to the Emergency Room, keep an eye on it.... So was it worth getting the Amati stuff or not? Do they have a better representation of the stern figures ( Is it Victory, Jason and Hercules?) :)

Last edited:
Do you have an O2 checker? the one that goes on your finger? My O2 was super low by the time I went back to the Emergency Room, keep an eye on it.... So was it worth getting the Amati stuff or not? Do they have a better representation of the stern figures ( Is it Victory, Jason and Hercules?) :)
I do not currently have an O2 measurement device. I figure as long as I don' feel as hypoxic as I was while hiking Mt. Elbert in Colorado, and my pulse rate doesn't approach the rate experienced there, I should be all right. The CPAP machine helps me breathe deeper with less effort, so that's a plus.

Besides the fact that many of the Amati decorations are simply different that those on the original ship, they are very detailed. You will have to decide whether you want to use them, over other decorations. Sergal decorations are based on those found after the 1660 rebuild, when the ship was redesigned and renamed HMS Sovereign. Again, the larger 1:64 size of the Amati decorations may be an issue for many parts, especially on a 1:80 scale model. I may be able to use a few of them on the DeAgostini model, but they would be best used on a separate, 1:64 model. Here are the Amati parts:

amati plan 3 copy.jpg

Amati-models-1831-sovereign-of-the-seas-decorations-set-for-naval-modelling (1).jpg

IMG_20140816_092144.jpg

IMG_20140816_092308.jpg

Sovereign-of-the-Seas_7.jpg

IMG_20140816_092252.jpg

Here are a few more images of Amati's excellent bits. I plan on "blending" as many along with Sergal's old solid bronze bits from a vintage kit that I bought. In any case as many have mentioned regarding this ship - very little has been documented - so "give the artist license" lol

The Vasa a decade earlier - well that's an altogether other amazing story .....especially for model ship builders.

IMG_0047.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

IMG_0049.jpeg

IMG_0050.jpeg

IMG_0054.jpeg

IMG_0096 copy.jpeg

I went to the emergency room this morning for the second time, and came back home after several hours of tests and x-rays. Pneumonia has set in. I have two oxygen generating machines here at home now. My oxygen is 87% without the oxygen hose, 97% with oxygen. The steroid pills they gave me have removed much of the fluid in my lungs in a matter of minutes, and I can take the first truly deep breaths I have taking in weeks. Nights are the worst, when the oxygen level plummets, the lungs fill, and no chance of sleep. The 02 and medicine changes everything. I now have a fighting chance, where as before I was slowly slipping away one inch at a time. I feel stronger now that I have in weeks.

Now, what parts of the hull need smoothing some more before the first layer of planking? Where did I leave off? Still pondering the interior lighting. That has to be planned now before access to those spaces gets built off...

Last edited:
Praying for you Kurt, it’s a long road.... I’m still on it and making progress. Debating on the Amati pieces, man I should start learning how to carve, seems like it would be a great skill to have in the quiver.

Praying for you Kurt, it’s a long road.... I’m still on it and making progress. Debating on the Amati pieces, man I should start learning how to carve, seems like it would be a great skill to have in the quiver.
I agree with you about the carving. If one can teach themselves how to carve, the potential to create great things is tremendous.

Last edited:
Back