HMS Sovereign of the Seas - Bashing DeAgostini Beyond Believable Boundaries

Today was a good news/bad news day.

Good news: The upper gun deck ladder railings for the forecastle were completed. :D Thumbs-Up

Bad news: It appears that the 44 gun barrels that @SZKUTNIK made for me made it all the way from Poland only to be stolen from my mail box before I could retrieve them. :mad: I have asked Kris if he is willing to sell me another set of gun barrels.

1295 Assemble Railing and Balusters for Foreward Ladder.JPG

1296 Install Foreward Ladder Railing.JPG

1297 Progress So Far.JPG

The red lines show my best attempt to estimate where the internal decks will be located based on the current shape of the hull. Note how the after portion of the upper gun deck tends to slant downward, in my attempt to reconcile the aftermost gun ports from Payne and stern chasers from Lely, while keeping the internal decks continuous throughout the length of the hull. Unlike Uwe's model, I did not align the side gallery balconies with the internal decks. After looking at the red lines again, it seems some changes need to be made. Looks like I squeezed an extra deck in there! ROTF, So here are the updated images.

1298 Plottijng Internal Deck Locations.JPG

Uwe's plan.
Uwe's Plan.jpg

Side gallery angle differs from deck location.
1299 Plotting Internal Deck Locations Realtive to Side Balconies.JPG

Payne engraving side gallery appearance.
1670168782520.png

Last edited:
I know that I am coming in late to the discussion. Your SoS is magnificent so far! When I use white for my ship bottoms, L like to go to those stores specializing in model railroads. I look for "aged white" or "dirty white". They just look good to me. Also, railroad colors are fantastic for use on ship models. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Bill

I know that I am coming in late to the discussion. Your SoS is magnificent so far! When I use white for my ship bottoms, L like to go to those stores specializing in model railroads. I look for "aged white" or "dirty white". They just look good to me. Also, railroad colors are fantastic for use on ship models. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Bill
I was thinking of washing the bottom with some grey to tone it down. Your thoughts?

I believe that doing so would look good. If it doesn't, paint over it. Keep up the great work!

Bill
What color shade would look the most correct, adding a hint of grey, yellow or tan? I've never seen white stuff in any photo, only in paintings, so I need more info to go on. Lely's "Portrait of Peter Pett" makes the white stuff a very clean, bright white.

1670195299278.png

This is a tricky business. I have seen the gunk applied to the hull described as a light beige, a dirty sulfur yellow, an off-white favoring gray...

I was at Home Depot and there are probably 100 colors of white in the paint department. What you have now looks too stark (vibrant) to my eyes - but I share your concern over how to tone it down.

This is dirty white:

1670197486594.png

What color shade would look the most correct, adding a hint of grey, yellow or tan? I've never seen white stuff in any photo, only in paintings, so I need more info to go on. Lely's "Portrait of Peter Pett" makes the white stuff a very clean, bright white.

View attachment 343955
There is no right answer to your question. For example, a ship fresh from being painted is going to show fresh paint, particularly under the waterline. As time progresses the paint will show the effects of being at sea. Some builders mixed horsehair or straw into their white paint to help prevent the effects of the taredo worm. Some even coated the white with tar or pitch. The bottom line is to paint it to where it looks good to you.

Bill

Yes, personally, I like this approach. Even freshly whited, the bottom would not have been pure white. Grey washes are always a good hedge, here, IMO.
Once in the water, a freshly painted lower hull loses the freshness. It immediately begins to lose its whiteness. So, your idea of gray washes might be the approach to take.

Bill

This is definitely an improvement, IMO. I do think, however, that you can soften the color transitions in a few places - just feather it out a little more.
That's the hard part. Using thinner to try feathering out the grey removes ALL the grey from the area you apply more thinned paint, and the area around that wet spot gets very dark, which is the opposite of what you want, and you have to strip it all off the hull and start over. I know, because I did that three times after making futile attempts to darken a light area. At his point, it's best left alone.

That's the hard part. Using thinner to try feathering out the grey removes ALL the grey from the area you apply more thinned paint, and the area around that wet spot gets very dark, which is the opposite of what you want, and you have to strip it all off the hull and start over. I know, because I did that three times after making futile attempts to darken a light area. At his point, it's best left alone.
If you're happy with it in general, just leave it alone. Any attempt to "improve" this or that area will only yield disappointing results.

I really like the tone of white in the first two pics of your post. The second two shots however seem to be much whiter?

Back