HMS Victory 1/72 Caldercraft

Thx indeed Nick, I also use thin CA on the small knots in my rigging work. I like the way you use the applicator and wil definately borrow your methode.

@BigMike while totally agree that Nick has a great method using CA applicator, your self-criticism is not accepted! :p Visited you cross-section build log, and didn't find 'poor' results...

Great very good explanations, I look forward to your suggestions as I am a rookie of the rigging ... ah! and I already did the little machine ... heheView attachment 87534
Like it! Is that a re-purposed knitting needle you’re using as a drive shaft? If so, does your wife know you have it? Mine would kill me :)

Nick

Last edited:
I’ve always felt that the rudder doesn’t look right on this kit and couldn’t put my finger on why.
Examining photos of the actual thing, it was because the front of the rudder was a square section, butting up to another square section on the hull. It should be chamfered to 45° Like this.

1D26BBE4-2C29-49B8-83B4-5E6E97FE33F1.jpeg

this means that hinge white metal castings are now the wrong shape, so I had to scratch build something instead.

309FD52C-955D-41FE-81A4-2750316B9740.jpeg

So I drilled a hole for each pin at the shallowest angle I could, then bent each pin about 20° so it became parallel to the hinge line. The bend is concealed by the copper banding, and the triangle section left, filled with gap filling ca to make solid.

I drilled and pinned the bands while I was at it.

Although with hindsight, it looks like the rivet count on the kit item is higher than the real thing. Actual rivet counting! How’s that for nerdery.

While I was at it, I drew and 3D printed a better spectacle plate too. Which you can’t really see in this picture.

I assume all the hinge hardware would have been iron, so should be painted black? Anyone know?

I need to fabricate something for the hull side now as well. More to follow!

Hallo Nick, alias @nick-edw ,
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake
Are you still working on the Victory?

Nick. Happy Birthday.
How is your building project going?
Good luck-

Very nice detailes Nick ,if you want to show more of your similar build we have a category for them

Back