HMS Victory, 104-gun First-rate ship, Scale 1:72, by Attila

HMS Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759, and launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805.

20211105_140925.jpg

Welcome aboard SOS, Attila. We are glad you've joined us. Would you like to start a build log of your Victory where the image above will be your starting page? If yes, I will move it to the correct location. Enjoy!

Hallo Attila,
are you building the Victory based on her original appearance? with open gallery and balcony?

Well, a few words about myself as an introduction.

I used to work in a theater as a technical manager, we produced stage sets. I had nothing to do with sailing, apart from the sort time I was a waiter onboard. (But that ship had no sails at all, and it was f*king big.)
Long time ago I built a Bounty (kit from Biling Boats). This year I thought I build another one. Just not the Bounty now, but the Victory. :)

Finally I started with free online plans. (see above)

I started the work on the 1th of July.
20210701_141444.jpg

The work went well, the time flew by...

20210807_191239.jpg

And by the end of August, I was done with the planking.
I finished the inner planking in mid-october:
20211015_185302.jpg

It hurt a lot:
20211107_132536.jpg

And so she looked before the second planking:
20211109_190253.jpg

And now I am almost donne with the second planking on the outside:
20211207_140047 - Copy.jpg

Used materials: pine, linden, walnut, beech

Last edited:
Looking at your photos - I am sure, that we can expect something really special.
Especially with your two big "windows" in the hull I guess you will like to show her with all the deck interior shown......

Interesting way of building and the cutout...What is the intention\purpoce for such openings? You already plank the sides of the frames.
I see this project as a practice piece. I planned to build a "walnut shell" on which I would build everything on the outside. Im looking for/learning the techniques and buying the machines etc etc....
For example I start planking the inside differently. The outside was good for that. I dont know how far i want to "sail" with this ship. I dont plan to finish it.
Ill build some of the floors to learn, and thats it. And than after ill start a new one.

question

this is the keel of the Victory. the question is about num 5 (square frames). there are 92 of them. could you help me with what they were made of? what is their purpose? and what does one look like?

1639222845731111174992180509618.jpg

it's looks beautiful beginning, I will keep following up with a lot of Curiously. good luck :)

Hi Attila, I see you have plans for the HMS Victory as she was originally built with the open galleries. I also understand you will build her in her currently refitted state, with closed galleries. I can appreciate that as there is more documented reference materials available for the latter.

I too have the HMS Victory as a possible next project. I have the Caldercraft kit, but plan to bash it up good and have pretty much every book on the HMS Victory, but have not been able to get a hold of the plans or any reference on the original gallery and quarter galleries.

Would you please tell me where you found the plans you've posted on the gallery/quarter galleries. I would find them incredibly helpful for my project.

Thank you in advance and thank you for sharing your build with all of us here @ SoS!

Cheers,
Ken

Hi Attila, I see you have plans for the HMS Victory as she was originally built with the open galleries. I also understand you will build her in her currently refitted state, with closed galleries. I can appreciate that as there is more documented reference materials available for the latter.

I too have the HMS Victory as a possible next project. I have the Caldercraft kit, but plan to bash it up good and have pretty much every book on the HMS Victory, but have not been able to get a hold of the plans or any reference on the original gallery and quarter galleries.

Would you please tell me where you found the plans you've posted on the gallery/quarter galleries. I would find them incredibly helpful for my project.

Thank you in advance and thank you for sharing your build with all of us here @ SoS!

Cheers,
Ken
hi Ken
I build the victory based on John McKay’s book and unfortunately I only have these two photos of her old look.

I'm sorry I can't help you more than that.

Cheers
A

hi Ken
I build the victory based on John McKay’s book and unfortunately I only have these two photos of her old look.

I'm sorry I can't help you more than that.

Cheers
A
Hi Attila, yes I John Mckay's book is one of 8 HMS Victory references I have.

Can you tell me where you got the gallery plan photos, or would you be willing to copy or scan the ones you have for me? I would be happy to pay for any costs (scanning/shipping, etc.).

EDIT/UPDATE: Actually, I just noticed on one image, the header, "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships", which I also have. I just never noticed the body plan depicted the original gallery design. I'll look at that later....

Thanks.
Ken.

Hi Attila, yes I John Mckay's book is one of 8 HMS Victory references I have.

Can you tell me where you got the gallery plan photos, or would you be willing to copy or scan the ones you have for me? I would be happy to pay for any costs (scanning/shipping, etc.).

EDIT/UPDATE: Actually, I just noticed on one image, the header, "Anatomy of Nelson's Ships", which I also have. I just never noticed the body plan depicted the original gallery design. I'll look at that later....

Thanks.
Ken.
Hi Ken,
No, it doesn't show her old look.
And I also found the plans online. I printed them out. I only have these two pictures of the old look. No other.

Sry :)

Back