HMS Victory Build #776 1:98 scale

I’m ready to attach the anchors it is four of them does anybody have any pictures or where to get some ideas on how to rig the anchors my instructions in the instruction book I’m not very clear at all any and all help would be greatly appreciate it

Well I am at final stage of this 2 1/2 yr endeavor.
I am not an expert by any means compared to most models I’ve seen. No museum quality here but my wife and I enjoy the model anyway. It started as a pastime project at the start of Covid. Knock on wood (hahaha) I didn’t get Covid. Last step is building the small boats for this model. They are in process right now and much to my dismay (but not surprised) Mantua has not let me down. My son-in-law bought the kit from Mantua for Xmas last year. 4 of the 6 were ok with the fit but the last two were totally incorrect. Top wood parts to glue to hull were Too short in length and too wide in width. Also laser cutting was not deep enough and boy difficult to remove and I managed to cut my finger with xacto knife. I’m going to find their exact address in Italy and look them up on my Italy vacation trip in September to discuss this issue.
Anyway last step is to build a display case. I already designed it and need to go buy the oak and acrylic for it in a few weeks. Here are some photos as of yesterday. I can’t thank any and all of you enough for all the help and comments during this build. It was a once in a lifetime task which I’ve really enjoyed. I don’t think I’ll build another. Instead I’m going to go back to my childhood dreams of plastic airplane modeling. Starting with a F 86 that was my brothers plane during the late 50s and early 60s and surprise him with a Xmas gift of it. If anyone wants to see my total model build you can go to my TikTok at
@Dickiiee44. I’ve posted about 13 videos and need to produce about 7 more to finish.
Anyway thanks again to all with info and encouragement during this build.
D9E963F9-FD77-4567-AFF2-895B17DE44B5.jpegD8E9256B-6015-4E71-8435-E8C22BD98020.jpeg8CA85654-5A6D-4E24-8580-14DCA596B40F.jpeg10443553-4A64-4F2C-B3CD-2BA71F00C735.jpeg

Well I am at final stage of this 2 1/2 yr endeavor.
I am not an expert by any means compared to most models I’ve seen. No museum quality here but my wife and I enjoy the model anyway. It started as a pastime project at the start of Covid. Knock on wood (hahaha) I didn’t get Covid. Last step is building the small boats for this model. They are in process right now and much to my dismay (but not surprised) Mantua has not let me down. My son-in-law bought the kit from Mantua for Xmas last year. 4 of the 6 were ok with the fit but the last two were totally incorrect. Top wood parts to glue to hull were Too short in length and too wide in width. Also laser cutting was not deep enough and boy difficult to remove and I managed to cut my finger with xacto knife. I’m going to find their exact address in Italy and look them up on my Italy vacation trip in September to discuss this issue.
Anyway last step is to build a display case. I already designed it and need to go buy the oak and acrylic for it in a few weeks. Here are some photos as of yesterday. I can’t thank any and all of you enough for all the help and comments during this build. It was a once in a lifetime task which I’ve really enjoyed. I don’t think I’ll build another. Instead I’m going to go back to my childhood dreams of plastic airplane modeling. Starting with a F 86 that was my brothers plane during the late 50s and early 60s and surprise him with a Xmas gift of it. If anyone wants to see my total model build you can go to my TikTok at
@Dickiiee44. I’ve posted about 13 videos and need to produce about 7 more to finish.
Anyway thanks again to all with info and encouragement during this build.
View attachment 320984View attachment 320985View attachment 320986View attachment 320989
Good morning Dikkie. Well done on a lovely rendition of the HMS Victory. The Mantua kits are not always the best (I have similar issues) however makes it more fun and interesting. Man these Victory’s have loads of rope...Cheers Grant
PS you got your flags just spot on.

Good morning Dikkie. Well done on a lovely rendition of the HMS Victory. The Mantua kits are not always the best (I have similar issues) however makes it more fun and interesting. Man these Victory’s have loads of rope...Cheers Grant
PS you got your flags just spot on.
Yeah it does have lots of ropes. I’ve not installed all running ropes either. I’ll finish the small boats this week and I’ll only mount at stearn as I want everyone who’s comes over to visit to see below decks. Inside the case I’ll mount remaining boats on display base.

Sorry I Havent posted for quite a while. Been busy trying to get my special china visa to go see family in china. Finally got it earlier this week and we leave in Dec for several months. it's a one time deal. well i finalized my build. may add sails, and belaying pin ropes at a later date but need a break. Been busy with building Display case. i'm about 75% complete. Pics posted with this post. Got to finish next week at least to keep dust off until i return.
i decided to use 1" sq dowels out of poplar and 1/8" clear acrylic. White acrylic paint with a clear acrylic fast drying varnish. so far everything is going together fairly well. Made a template on how to make it.
also made some 3d printer jigs to hold pieces square for doweling and screw holes. they worked out very well.
until next post enjoy pics.

162E88FB-794F-452B-A540-F87F3C3DB57C.jpeg04730A0E-CF98-4301-9579-0067BE920282.jpeg8D7BDDEB-B1D2-4574-A1CE-DC9B3EBC121C.jpeg828E90BE-D3F1-4A5F-A1FE-4D896A2E91ED.jpegFBFD9433-467B-48AF-8CF4-22FB6DA9B568.jpeg215F79F4-ACF8-4F7B-B9B7-8B11A5E772E8.jpeg71D17473-2CBB-4152-824A-54D032DBF890.jpeg95CAE0F2-E149-4DE0-BA8D-F3586B7D6010.jpeg82BE283F-B2AF-47CB-8069-73186C7B7CDE.jpeg0D4AD52F-76DF-4C84-A904-811F8D80A79C.jpegC4F559FE-03F8-4335-8C8D-97C3C0FB117F.jpegE3AF6D50-0A8C-4EDF-B236-643F08FA6E3E.jpegC3D47BA9-1998-46BC-BFC7-D945F48AD1AF.jpegAC029EC2-1BC7-40BC-8CAD-113BF60BE4A8.jpegC4028E7D-54D8-4628-AF1C-26EC515ABEB4.jpeg

Congratulations - now the model is safe and will be dustfree when you come back
Have a good trip and wish you an enjoyable time within the family

Step 13:
Been a while. In middle of remodeling master bathroom. It’s taking a lot of my time lately but still manage to be going forward. I’ve removed gloss finish on lower deck. Didn’t really like it to be so shiny. Also added gratings and will add stairs down from this level soon. Also added cannon ball racks to this level. Mantua model instructions or drawings say and show nothing about these items. Started cutting out stearn pieces. I like jigsaw puzzles. Hahahahahaha. I’ll build this but won’t attach until after all 1st layer planking is done.View attachment 151212View attachment 151213View attachment 151214View attachment 151215

Can I get a copy of the plans?

I just read right through your build and am impressed. You put in a hell of a lot of work there. It's a really beautiful model.
Excellent display case too.
I too am building #776 and am also finding a lot that is not right or not to scale. It's a shame that Mantua made so many mistakes in this kit.

I just read right through your build and am impressed. You put in a hell of a lot of work there. It's a really beautiful model.
Excellent display case too.
I too am building #776 and am also finding a lot that is not right or not to scale. It's a shame that Mantua made so many mistakes in this kit.
I know that Mantua didn’t do a good job at all the parts, but be patient and just rebuild the parts that at the scale if you have a 3-D printer that comes in awful handy if you use there, some 3-D filaments out there in wood and I use quite a few of them on this modelnow I’ve stopped building ship bottles they take too long and I’m into World War II plastic airplane models 148 scale having a lot of fun with that too

Yes, work to do with getting things in scale. The kit cannons are completely wrong. When I walked around the decks of the real ship, it was easy to see the different sizes and shapes. I am resizing these on the lathe.

So you are earlier back than expected - welcome home
Looking very good in the case!
Is your model now completely finished and can go to her final place?

Back