HMS Victory by Manfred Burkert, Scale 1:57

Thank you!
It's nice to meet Hoss Cartwright again after so many years. He was one of the favourite characters of my childhood and definitely my favourite character in Bonanza.
Oh ja -
It was usually sunday evening, I think at 6 pm usually "BONANZA" at ZDF (I think) .......
We grew up with the "dumdera dumdera dumdera ..... Bonanzaaaaa......" - Already a long time ago

Thank you!
It's nice to meet Hoss Cartwright again after so many years. He was one of the favourite characters of my childhood and definitely my favourite character in Bonanza.
Mine as well Cirdan. The gentle giant, Dan Blocker. They say he was just as gentle in real life.

Oh ja -
It was usually sunday evening, I think at 6 pm usually "BONANZA" at ZDF (I think) .......
We grew up with the "dumdera dumdera dumdera ..... Bonanzaaaaa......" - Already a long time ago
Hahah, so true Uwek. A family show that took place in the western United States, when everyone was not a good person. But......good always won out by the time the TV episode for that night was over.

Hello friends of the baroque era,

this is a little off-topic, but not entirely. This abbey church in my neighbourhood (it's about 60 kms away) has something in common with the HMS Victory: the church was consecrated in 1765, the same year the Victory was launched. Usually I visit the church twice a year. I must admit, however, that my first visit to the Victory has not yet taken place :rolleyes:. The following pics were taken this summer, friends of the baroque era may enjoy them. One must, of course, take into account that stylistic comparisons can only be made, if at all, with the Victory from around 1765.

41 (2).jpg 08 (2).jpg 09.jpg

02 (2).jpg 16c 1600px.jpeg 49 (2).jpg

The owner of the following photo is Hans A. Rosbach, published on under the license CC BY-SA 2.0 :

03.jpg

Some outside views:

34.jpg 30.jpg 28.jpgZwiefalten 7.png

The church originally was an benedictine abbey church. Today it is simply the church of the village Zwiefalten (& pilgrimage church) on the Swabian Alb, since the monastery was dissolved with the saecularization of 1806. The church is today known under the name "Münster (= Minster) Zwiefalten". It is one of the highlights of the late baroque style in south germany. The relatively big size of the church and the richness of the interieur is due to the fact, that in her time the abbey was a so called imperial abbey. That means that the abbey was granted with imperial immediacy by the emperor, who in return received a good amount of money for his generosity. So the abbot had no other Lord than the Emperor himself.

Wonderful church located in a beautiful small village - goods to see some photos from home

I can fully underline your words about the analogies with the Victory from 1765.
If you take a look at the original figurehead
l2400_003.jpg

and the stern

large.jpg

It was a beautiful period, but very expensive in the decorations

I made once a topic about the Victory in her original appearance

Hello friends of the baroque era,

this is a little off-topic, but not entirely. This abbey church in my neighbourhood (it's about 60 kms away) has something in common with the HMS Victory: the church was consecrated in 1765, the same year the Victory was launched. Usually I visit the church twice a year. I must admit, however, that my first visit to the Victory has not yet taken place :rolleyes:. The following pics were taken this summer, friends of the baroque era may enjoy them. One must, of course, take into account that stylistic comparisons can only be made, if at all, with the Victory from around 1765.

View attachment 198862 View attachment 198863 View attachment 198864

View attachment 198865 View attachment 198866 View attachment 198900

The owner of the following photo is Hans A. Rosbach, published on under the license CC BY-SA 2.0 :

View attachment 198877

Some outside views:

View attachment 198878 View attachment 198881 View attachment 198883View attachment 198882

The church originally was an benedictine abbey church. Today it is simply the church of the village Zwiefalten (& pilgrimage church) on the Swabian Alb, since the monastery was dissolved with the saecularization of 1806. The church is today known under the name "Münster (= Minster) Zwiefalten". It is one of the highlights of the late baroque style in south germany. The relatively big size of the church and the richness of the interieur is due to the fact, that in her time the abbey was a so called imperial abbey. That means that the abbey was granted with imperial immediacy by the emperor, who in return received a good amount of money for his generosity. So the abbot had no other Lord than the Emperor himself.
Thanks to Cirdan I get to see pictures of my home here in this forum. Our Upper Swabia is full of these beautiful baroque monasteries, all worth a trip. Zwiefalten is 25 km from me. I have already visited the Victory in Portsmouth 3 times and the epochal comparison is absolutely interesting and justfied.
There is also a very good brewery there. Zwiefalter Klosterbräu, very tasty.Beer;)

..... Our Upper Swabia is full of these beautiful baroque monasteries, all worth a trip. ......
Sorry to stay off-topic, but I could not resist......
But you know, that my hometown "WÜRZBURG" in Franconia is the real center ;) of the european baroque - especially the Residenz

Sorry - I could not resist to show something from my town

bild2.jpg dc1fae6df614dc27246cf73fb2795b23.jpg wu_residenz_treppe600.jpg

BTW: we have also some good beer in Franconia, not only wine ..... Beer

But you know, that my hometown "WÜRZBURG" in Franconia is the real center ;) of the european baroque - especially the Residenz

View attachment 198966 View attachment 198967 View attachment 198968

I also can not resist. Your hometown is very beautiful, been there several times.
But that's what this beer looks like.
Mmmh.Gaffelschalup_20201215.jpg
But now it is enough. ;)

Hello Uwe,

many, many years ago I visited the Residenz. It was great. I have not yet come to visit Vierzehnheiligen (= fourteen saints), also a baroque highlight of Franconia.

And I like the Victory in her original appearance more than the "modern" one.

Last edited:
Good evening.

A short addendum:

Manfred is currently working on the figurehead of the Royal Caroline. Her height is 20 cm.

IMG-20201110-WA0001.jpg IMG-20201110-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210219-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20210219-WA0002.jpg IMG-20210219-WA0003.jpg

The material is the same he used for the crew figures of the Victory. It's not wood, but a kind of plastic, that can be treated like wood, called "Sika Block Pur" (german label). The advantage of this stuff is, that you can glue a broken part back on with superglue, or you can use filler (repair resin) more easily. On the back of the figure you can see some marks of correction.

Greetings, Hartmut

Excellent!! We would love to know a bit more about this material Sika Block Pur. Is it possible to explain a bit more?

Mine as well Cirdan. The gentle giant, Dan Blocker. They say he was just as gentle in real life.
Speaking of Dan Blocker, when I was a mechanic in the US Air Force, I meet his little brother, who was pilot in training at the time. Very nice guy, like his big brother, and you could see the family resemblance in him to Hoss.

Excellent!! We would love to know a bit more about this material Sika Block Pur. Is it possible to explain a bit more?

It's not so easy as I personally have no experience with this material. Manfred wrote about it:

"To the figures on my VICTORY. They are from Sika Block, a plastic that is also used in industry in model making. It can be worked like wood. But has the advantage that it doesn't have any grain and is very fine-pored. Should once a piece break off, you can glue it on with superglue and continue working. Sika Block Pur model plate M330 [in german: Sika Block Pur Modellplatte 330M] is available from modulor. In a historical ship model there are many parts that can be made more easily from this material instead of wood."

Modulor says the following about the material: https://www.modulor.de/en/sikablock-pur-modelling-board-m330-240-kg.html

"The SIKA PUR modelling panel M330 is used in the production of design and styling models as well as base bodies for cubings and data control models. This material is mostly preferred in cases where the least amount of filling and priming is desirable and the weight of the final object is not really a concern. The surface of the M330 has very fine and even pores which can be closed up by means of fillers and primers in order to ready it for paint."

Some infos by the company that produces the material: https://alpha-sigma.eu/en/product/sikablock-pur-modellplatte-m330/

Due to its high strength and excellent edge strength, the SikaBlock®M330 is a much more durable and robust model building material than rigid foams made of PS or PUR. Its comparatively low density makes it cheaper than most other Sika materials. It is often used as a substructure for clay models to reduce their weight and price. The M330 can easily be processed and shaped with files, sandpaper, etc. The surface can be painted as usual.

Because of the many technical terms, the translations from the websites are from google, so I don't know whether the term "edge strength", for example, is the right translation. I personally believe that it is not. :)

Hartmut

Back