HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Awsome work. The dedicated Victory site was at http://www.pete-coleman.com/forum/. However this is no longer available as it was closed by the Author in the last 12 months due to external hacking. It will unfortunately never come back.

There are some excellent build logs around on web forums that do not need login privileges. The best advise is to look at these plus the books by Nepean Longridge( 1.48 Model log) , Alan Mcgowan( Restoration ), John McKay( Anatomy series) & Keith Julier ( New Period Ship Handbook). There maybe other resources. but I personally consider these the definitive set.

All the kits have issues, especially the older European ones. You are doing an incredible job that anyone would be proud of and your log shows it.

YT, I am just beginning this same model. Currently gluing in bulkheads. In the next few days will begin the first deck. Mine also has a few ups and downs. Not many. Did you just bring the low ones up to level? Or did you just find a happy medium? It seems the first and the last few bulk heads are high. Does the placement of the first deck really affect anything in the future? The discrepencies are only a few mm. Thank you, Ken

Did you just bring the low ones up to level? Or did you just find a happy medium?
All plays some role for everything so I had found my happy medium. What caused me most problem is aligning 1st and second level deck notches for bulkheads with the bulkheads. If I built same hull again I would verify this front to back alignment first. For adjusting bulkheads up and down select a happy medium allowing you to level (fair) the hull outside and decks perfectly. Expect that nothing matches with anything.

YT, thank you for prompt response. All the notches for the gun ports are in pretty good alignment. Don't want to move bulkheads themselves up or down due to these. Just finished the Santa Ana by AL. Nothing matched there either. Once again, thank you. Studying your build with much diligence.

HI, Yuri, Do your plans, in the parts description, have a code (codice) in the very last column? Does this pertain to anything. Unless I over looked it, I don't know what these codes mean. (if anything)

Thank you, Ken

Attachments

• QAR-B-09-02.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
I'm bldg the same model. Would like to know what type of paint you are using. Could you possibly show front of bottles/cans. Looks like a good quality paint. Looks great. Using your build as a guide as Mamoli instructions leave much to be desired. Thank you
Ken

Paint is acrylic only. These are only brands available in our Canadian Walmart. I dilute them with water till consistency of milk. I apply many coats. When dry I apply acrylic matte varnish. For delicate work I use very small brushes as shown on attached picture. Brushes I got in our local art store. They are cheap but good. Each one costs about $3. This is it. B86F1800-8D7C-4D75-A959-E35949980CCF.jpeg

one more ? I forgot to ask... did you use any type of sealer/primer b4 painting? thanks
Never. Actually never on wood. We need primer only where paint does not stick as on white metal from ship kits. Paint sticks to wood well.

Last edited:
Back