HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

HI YT, followed your link on the modelshipworld site, joined this one. Put a build log together today. Will have a good look round the site when i get a bit more mobile, struggling to get upstairs to the pc with my feet bandaged up like frodo!! Loving your work mate, truly inspiring.

Spider

Question for both you and spider. How you get the cannons in on the upper enclosed decks..... looks like you have the carriages in b4 hand then sneak the cannon in later?

I fell for it mate, I just followed the instructions in order, Doh!! It wasn't till i found these forums and realised it would be better to put all the cannons in place first. Schoolboy error i guess. I will have to make a long stick and somehow start aft and do them a row at a time, and somehow get them into the right opening and reach through from the opposite opening and put a drop of CA glue under the carriage wheels and let them sit on it., I have no choice cos there is no way I am cutting the upper decks off to get to the gun deck. Not happening., worst case scenario I do what I can reach from the opening amidships and close the gun port lids on the ones I cant reach.. We'll see, got to finish those pesky green tiles and outer planking first. Wish I had found YT before I got that far..

Maybe just forget the carriages and just built a little block under each one to the appropriate heigth and sneak 'em in through the port?

nah, you cant do that mate.. There will be a way to slide them down from the open section to the appropriate opening. That's what I am gonna do anyway.

A question, the bits coming with this kit (which I have got as gift) seem to need a lot of filing. But then, they seem to be made of some suspiciously soft alloy. I am afraid that it contains lead or other toxic heavy metals. Anyone got more info. Should I be worried? wear mask and have gloves?

I fell for it mate, I just followed the instructions in order, Doh!! It wasn't till i found these forums and realised it would be better to put all the cannons in place first. Schoolboy error i guess. I will have to make a long stick and somehow start aft and do them a row at a time, and somehow get them into the right opening and reach through from the opposite opening and put a drop of CA glue under the carriage wheels and let them sit on it., I have no choice cos there is no way I am cutting the upper decks off to get to the gun deck. Not happening., worst case scenario I do what I can reach from the opening amidships and close the gun port lids on the ones I cant reach.. We'll see, got to finish those pesky green tiles and outer planking first. Wish I had found YT before I got that far..
Same here, followed instruction doing my first ship and only googled when got into serious problem! I won't cut my upper-deck as well. too risky and probably time consuming at this stage

Hi, I decided to leave unpainted some details on the deck as gratings and gangways. On prow gangway I tried to apply black acrylic paint wash with subsequent acrylic lacquer. Some are still bear wood. Please look at the picture and let me know which way you like better. To me a wash painted part looks more natural but shabbier.

IMG_0580.jpg

Hi YT,this is very much a personal preference thing.I will throw you a curved ball,my take would be bare wood,but I would paint all the grating outer frames black as your model's hull is fully painted.
However with something like this,there is no right or wrong.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I'll tell you what I think mate, for what it's worth.. Personally, I prefer the acrylic paint wash, it gives it a bit of character, and makes it more like the genuine thing: I took these pics on the Victory back in 2011-

P1010285.JPGP1010287.JPGP1010290.JPGP1010294.JPGP1010281.JPGP1010306.JPGP1010277.JPG

Question for both you and spider. How you get the cannons in on the upper enclosed decks..... looks like you have the carriages in b4 hand then sneak the cannon in later?
Ken, sorry for noticing your question so late. I installed cannon carriages when was closing up middle decks. I will glue in the barrels after completely done with painting the hull outside.

Back