HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

Excellent work YT,As you have chosen to us wood as your pattern,I would wipe over with oil to prevent it sticking to the mould.I made a boxwood master when doing some resin casting on Royal Caroline and wiped it over with vegetable oil I raided out of the kitchen.It worked despite my Wife's cursing about stuff going missing into the abyss (my workshop)ROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Last edited:
Oyumaru moulding clay had arrived and whole yesterday I was experimenting with making moulds for rigols. Oyumaru is warmed up in water at 80 deg. C for at least 3 minutes. At that temperature it becomes gooey and suitable for forming. Good thing about this stuff it is reusable as many times as you want. I discovered it is not easy to get decent mould with proper detailing and with no defects. I had to modify my moulding pattern by gluing rigols to wood board. It appeared to be impossible to get good mould of two pieces together as per my pattern. It was also not possible to make a thick mould. I ended up by making a dozen individual small moulds of each rigol type. They turn out to be of good quality. Now I am waiting for an epoxy putty to arrive so I can make my rigol parts.

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Wow! I can see why your Admiral refers to "jeweller's talent". That is amazingly accurate miniature craftsmanship! Very well done, Y.T.

Wonderful,very nice work indeed YT.Just out of curiosity,what was the original Mamoli design?

Kind Regards

Nigel

I continue working on challenges wood kit presents. I am still waiting on arrival of my Epoxy Putty for casting wriggles - guards over ports. It suddenly occurred to me I have this wood filler paste I never used on my wood hulls. I thought why I cannot try to cast this stuff into my moulds. Here is the result. Actually it looks great but is very brittle. Can disintegrate due to easiest handling. On the picture the cast item is at the top left corner. The patterns are in the middle.

IMG_0671.jpg

Looking again at the stern of this ship I found I do not like the false handrail posts I did so far by carving them out of wood. Besides carving three hundred of posts is crazy. This is not a work for sane person. As I looked at how nicely the parts can be copied with making a pattern, making mould and then multiplying it by casting I figured out that I am on wrong path. Here is new stern false handrail pattern. I carved it myself from wood. I will make 300 of these by casting Epoxy Putty into moulds.
unnamed.jpg

Back