• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

HMS Victory by Y.T.- Mamoli - 1:90 scale

I however have a suspicion that at the time they introduced the dolphin striker with its martingale lines the spritsail topsail idea was abolished,
You are correct the spritsail topsail use came to an end on English ships of war in the early part of the 18th century.

The dolphin striker had six variations between 1794 and 1840. In all cases the striker was square or rectangular, according to Jame Lees in The Masting and Rigging English Ships of War, The number of holes, and later, slots with sheaves, varied from 1 to 5 depending on the year. And then throw in the variations we see in virtually every ship, era, nation, none of this may be correct for Victory.

Allan
 
You are correct the spritsail topsail use came to an end on English ships of war in the early part of the 18th century.

Thanks Allan. So, do you think I can leave my model as I have on pictures above - Dolphin striker with its lines is present and spritsail topsail and its yard is absent?
 
Thanks Allan. So, do you think I can leave my model as I have on pictures above - Dolphin striker with its lines is present and spritsail topsail and its yard is absent?
Based on everything you presented and from what I could find I would absolutely leave off the yard. From what I could find dolphin strikers came quite a while after these particular yards went away, at least on English ships.

Allan
 
Making jeer triple block strappings. See tutorial I just posted.





IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

IMG_1110.JPG

IMG_1111.JPG
 
Look what a beautiful vintage drafting set I got from eBay. It cost me miserable 70 Canadian dollars with shipping. This is like $50 US. It’s Complete and in almost unused condition. It’s made circa 1945. People at the time were proud of the tools they made. I will use the ruling pens for drafting seams on my silkspan sails.

View attachment 551047

View attachment 551048

View attachment 551049

View attachment 551050
Still have my dad's set - also from Canada. And it's well used.
 
I acquired an amazing book on Victory rigging. This is the book I was dreaming about when decided to rig my model. Instead of getting one book with pictures showing how to do the job I had to acquire four. None was sufficient to do the job but in combination I was inching ahead. This was extremely difficult task. Longridge texts deciphering appeared most difficult but essential. Many times I threw Longridge book aside having long breaks to recover. Now I finally have one proper handbook for rigging. Whole book is just 260 pages of pictorial diagrams. This is all one needs to do the job. Here it is.

image.jpg

image.jpg
 
I bought it on Amazon.com. Amazon.ca. failed to deliver. I canceled twice my order and did it on Amazon USA. It was delivered in 6 days.
 
I changed my avatar. Just is case someone would think that my account was hijacked. This is my very old avatar that I used on many different internet platforms.
 
Y.T.

Great find - Just ordered it on Amazon. All of your images from the book made the sale ;) Probably --- NO ---- I won't
build a Victory - way beyond my skill sets - but the book will find a nice place in my library; such as it is.

Cheers,
 
Making jeer triple block strappings. See tutorial I just posted.





View attachment 587880

View attachment 587881

View attachment 587882

View attachment 587883
Smart solution!
 
I acquired an amazing book on Victory rigging. This is the book I was dreaming about when decided to rig my model. Instead of getting one book with pictures showing how to do the job I had to acquire four. None was sufficient to do the job but in combination I was inching ahead. This was extremely difficult task. Longridge texts deciphering appeared most difficult but essential. Many times I threw Longridge book aside having long breaks to recover. Now I finally have one proper handbook for rigging. Whole book is just 260 pages of pictorial diagrams. This is all one needs to do the job. Here it is.

View attachment 594928

View attachment 594929
What a lovely book. Got mine yesterday. Not because I plan to build a Victory. But because I want to understand why they used what they used ... so that I have a better idea how to rig something that is not shown in the instructions.
 
Hello Y.T. let me send you this Friendly Reminder...! Your fun club is waiting! Many of us are waiting to see new postings. I´m looking everyday after any new post from your side. I hope though, that you are doing well and that you are about to share any further advancements on The HMS Victory.

Kind Regards

Eduardo Tubino
 
Hello Y.T. let me send you this Friendly Reminder...! Your fun club is waiting! Many of us are waiting to see new postings. I´m looking everyday after any new post from your side. I hope though, that you are doing well and that you are about to share any further advancements on The HMS Victory.

Kind Regards

Eduardo Tubino
Hi, Eduardo! Thank you so much for a friendly reminder. You are my most devoted follower.thank you again.I was not posting anything because there was not too much to post.I was thinking that the work that I’m doing currently would not be that much interesting because it is very repetitive. Most of it was dedicated to preparing the yards with attaching all kinds of blocks to them. For that I had to make some many different sizes of different kinds of blocks, including the blocks for the clew lines with a shoulder, parral ribs and trucks. I also had to attach many different kinds of blocks to the rigging and the body of the hull. For the yards, I still have to do the bracing blocks attached. Desperately thinking, how would be the best way to do it. Next would be attaching the foot ropes and this stirrups on the yards.
Here are some pictures of what I had done so far.

IMG_1485.jpeg

IMG_1484.jpeg

IMG_1481.jpeg

IMG_1480.jpeg

IMG_1479.jpeg

IMG_1478.jpeg

IMG_1477.jpeg

IMG_1476.jpeg

IMG_1475.jpeg

IMG_1474.jpeg

IMG_1473.jpeg

IMG_1472.jpeg

IMG_1471.jpeg

IMG_1470.jpeg

IMG_1467.jpeg

IMG_1465.jpeg

IMG_1464.jpeg

IMG_1466.jpeg

IMG_1463.jpeg

IMG_1462.jpeg
 
Back
Top